[Solved] Win 8 Pro Won't install Stand-Alone Updates

NovaStar

Hi,

I'm using Windows 8 Pro. 64-bit.

Windows update works fine, no problem there...BUT... When I download a stand-alone update (from the Windows download center), it will NOT run/open/install the downloaded stand-alone updates (*.MSU files).

I've also looked under the " Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs " and the associated file type/protocol has changed to UniversalExtractor.

I've uninstalled it - it didn't help.

Even tried to associate it to the Update Installer (wusa.exe), which of course got a popup saying " it cannot be associated with this program ".

same goes by trying to associate with pkgmgr.exe and/or msiexec.exe association (by trail & error) didn't work either.

(hoping to avoid a windows 8 refresh that will also destroy everything already installed except the store app's).

ANY help to resolve the matter will be greatly appreciated.

With Utmost Respect,

Me.

Hi,

I'm using Windows 8 Pro. 64-bit.

Windows update works fine, no problem there...BUT... When I download a stand-alone update (from the Windows download center), it will NOT run/open/install the downloaded stand-alone updates (*.MSU files).

I've also looked under the " Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs " and the associated file type/protocol has changed to UniversalExtractor.

I've uninstalled it - it didn't help.

Even tried to associate it to the Update Installer (wusa.exe), which of course got a popup saying " it cannot be associated with this program ".

same goes by trying to associate with pkgmgr.exe and/or msiexec.exe association (by trail & error) didn't work either.

(hoping to avoid a windows 8 refresh that will also destroy everything already installed except the store app's).

ANY help to resolve the matter will be greatly appreciated.

With Utmost Respect,

Me.

When I do all my Standalone .msu updates I just put them all in a folder called updates with the following wild card updater batch file that I right-click and run as administrator.

(also check first in services that Windows updates is enabled and running)

If that doesn't work try a system restore..good luck

@echo off
color a
mode con cols=60 lines=4
echo Installing Windows 8 Updates..
:: UPDATES
:: Scan and Echo .msu files during install..
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('dir/b *.msu') do (

echo == Installing Updates == "%%a"
echo.
:: DELAY
ping -n 4 localhost 1>nul
echo.
:: INSTALLS
start /wait wusa %%a /quiet /norestart
)
echo.
exit

Edited by DosProbie

Hi again,

ALL done.

Tested the batch file AND installed that app... view reverted back to the old way like I am used too, and it doesn't even give me the reg metro ugly style (or any style lol) for the already known types.

Thank You both...Works like a charm :D

Hi again,

ALL done.

Tested the batch file AND installed that app... view reverted back to the old way like I am used too, and it doesn't even give me the reg metro ugly style (or any style lol) for the already known types.

Thank You both...Works like a charm :D

Glad you got it all Worked out.. You can add [ Solved ] to your title block to help out the next guy ..