Is this correct please.....

Daytrader

I have been told that as long as you install xp pro with either sp2 or sp3 they include sata drivers, i was told this by a actual moderator over on the asus support forum for my motherboard, can someone confirm this is correct ? cheers

Never heard of such a thing. That Moderator is incorrect. You need to have the SATA drivers from ASUS for your Motherboard and/or SATA Controller.

Directly from Microsoft -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/does-xp-sp2-have-sata-drivers/0821a31b-cdac-4362-8e19-5eabf993214f

Maybe they meant in IDE/PATA mode (set in BIOS)?

(edit - sheesh! See? Confirmed! Moderator is full to their eyeballs!)

Edited by submix8c

yes he said if i set bios to ide mode, but he said the sata hard drive would still be seen if in one of the sata 6 ports on the board, and would still benifit from the extra sata speed than a old ata/pata drive gives you, the only thing missing would be AHCI and a few other things.

Oh i forgot, i know AHCI cannot be enabled on XP after install, but can the sata drivers be installed from desktop, as only drivers for my motherboard for xp are in exe format.

Edited by Daytrader

Oh i forgot, i know AHCI cannot be enabled on XP after install

It can be :hello: but requires manual registry modifications. The problem is only about switching from IDE. You don't need to modify anything if you're switching to IDE or even between SATA and SCSI as long as the required drivers have been installed in advance.

UniExtract to get them.

I thought you understood all of the implications after this thread and how to integrate the SATA drivers? Why this topic in reference to an Asus Support Moderator after being told "how it works" already? (Start at post #11, please...)

because different people telling me different stuff, also when i posted photos here of the drivers i had tried to extract, know one actually told me what to point to when adding to nlite. but i am very grateful of all advice given to me, cheers

Um... yeah they did, AFAICT... FWIW, insert BOTH of them, if in doubt! OR just go with (as a test case) IDE/PATA mode, install one, reboot but switch to AHCI and see if you boot up. If not redo it with the OTHER set and repeat. THEN you know "which one". ;)

Have you tried integrating the txtsetup.oem file "in text mode"? That file appears on your screenshot. I must admit Allen2's posts and the description ICH10/Marvell are confusing to me as well.

Have you tried integrating the txtsetup.oem file "in text mode"? That file appears on your screenshot. I must admit Allen2's posts and the description ICH10/Marvell are confusing to me as well.

No, will the txtsetup.oem file tell nlite what drivers to add then from my unwrapped exe driver folder ?