Desktop sharing between Win-98 <> XP

Nomen

Remote Desktop Client exists for 98 but no Server so you cannot use XP to service 98 that way.

I am using TightVNC for my 98SE based server but that is slower and won't allow printing like Remote Desktop does. Speed is only an issue over the internet or 100Mbit LAN. I got 1Gbit LAN at home and everything is butter smooth :)

These answers aren't helping me.

I want to control / manipulate / access the desktop of a XP-sp3 system FROM a win-98se system. Which system is the "server" in that situation?

And will TightVNC do what I want? Will anything do what I want?

These answers aren't helping me.

Thats because you lack comprehension :huh:

I want to control / manipulate / access the desktop of a XP-sp3 system FROM a win-98se system. Which system is the "server" in that situation?

This is what Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection does. If you don't have WinXP Pro, then you will have to use a 3rd party app. You also have to configure your WinXP machine and open the necessary port. So unless you are able to comprehend what we are posting, then this topic is pointless :}:(

(sigh...) Does this help (followup on PROBLEMCHYLD post)? Please read it...

http://www.petri.co.il/download_rdp_5_2.htm

Appears to install to "Program Files\Remote Desktop" (looking inside the MSI).

The version PROBLEMCHYLD gives in 98SP3 (see his signature and the link) -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2483618

The CHM file appears to be in the FIRST link and the SECOND link gives THIS link for download -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10608

Notice it HAS to be extracted in order to "overlay" and rename the files (wherever they get installed to?) via

WindowsXP-KB2483618-x86-ENU.exe /Q /X:<targetdirectory>

in a Command Prompt (unknown if will run on Win9x in DOS Prompt).

2k3mstsc.exe / 2k3mstscax.dll

ALSO unknown if you need anything from 98SP3 (maybe not?).

More info (and the specific port that needs to be opened) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol

HTH

Edited by submix8c

You know, I realize full well that I'm going to have to open ports (and I know how to do that), and it might be a bear to set up.

All I'm asking is if it's been done, or has anyone done it, does it work, etc. And if it does work - then what software (out of a small handful of possibilities) am I looking at.

What about net meeting? This came with win-98, didn't it?

You can't always expect someone here to have a 100% definite answer to your questions. Everyone here will help you as they can, but it is ultimately up to YOU to experiment some. If you're not prepared to run the experiments, then don't complain that someone else hasn't done it already, or isn't doing it for you.

You know, I realize full well that I'm going to have to open ports (and I know how to do that), and it might be a bear to set up.

All I'm asking is if it's been done, or has anyone done it, does it work, etc. And if it does work - then what software (out of a small handful of possibilities) am I looking at.

What about net meeting? This came with win-98, didn't it?

Of course Remote Desktop works. Both version, Lan and Internet. I use it when its needed. The WEB connection version will NOT install on Win98. You will have to use the SP for this, or strip the package apart and tweak the inf file. If they didn't work, they wouldn't be included in the SP, You don't need the SP for the files, you can download them yourself, free of charge from the Microsoft website. I can't speak about other 3rd party Remote Desktop apps because I don't use them. Thanks LoneCrusader, this guy was on his way..................

...and to point out that I SPECIFICALLY pointed to the appropriate "individual" files to be installed without downloading the SP3. ;)

NOMEN, did you read my post and the contents of the links? Everything you need is there. SP3 does NOT mean XP-SP3, it means USP3 for Win98.

In addition to the Opened Port, you have to Allow Remote on the XP Machine.

PROBLEMCHYLD says it works. Did he lie?

(betting you did NOT read the links or our posts...)

Edited by submix8c