Serva Troubleshooting

Hello everybody,

My name is Kenneth I work for a very small company located in Quincy IL. I've recently purchased the SERVA32/64 program, and I can say it is one of the best PXE services out there, for those that just need to get something up and running. However, upon google searching some problems I've had I realized there aren't any forums with which to post problems or bugs with serva. I've contacted Patrick at Vercot and he tells me that there isn't a forum up and running yet, but some people post here. I'd like to get some assistance, but don't want to bug Patrick or anybody else in regards to some, what I'm sure are pretty simple solutions, and possibly if there is a forum about my problems and if others have it then there'd be one place to look. So, here's my problem:

Step one: Trying to get WinPE enviroments to work.

Using the base instructions from http://www.vercot.com/~serva/an/WindowsPXE2.html#windowspe , when I run the serva program I get an error saying that it couldn't expand the bootmgr.exe. Any thoughts on why this might be? I have tried both WAIK, and ADK.

Step two: Trying to get Various Linux live CD's to work

Using the steps listed at the same website for getting an Ubuntu and/or Linux mint disk to run. I am able to get passed the PXE part, but when the linux part actually starts to load it errors out when trying to receive an IP address. Some quick research told me that this is an Ubuntu problem with the MTU setting. Unfortunatly I can't change my MTU settings in my router.

Now I know that Serva 2.1 is very new, and there's gonna be bugs, I'll be e-mailing patrick with the same problems and see if we can find a solution, when we do, I will post our solution here. Thank's everybody for supporting! and Thank Patrick for making an AWESOME Program!

Thanks for the tutorial! I've had no problems with getting my windows installs to work with serva, it's trying to install a Debian based OS, which according to Ubuntu it's a problem with my router and using proxy DHCP. As noted at the bottom of that tutorial Changing the Serva to be my DHCP did solve the problem, however, since my environment needs to have a separate router that solution does not work for the long run. BUT After talking with Patrick he gave me a solution that worked.

He had me change "ip=boottp" to "ip=dhcp" (Minus the quotes), and problem solved!

append = showmounts toram root=/dev/cifs initrd=NWA_PXE/$HEAD_DIR$/casper/initrd.lz,NWA_PXE/$HEAD_DIR$/casper/INITRD_N02.GZ boot=casper netboot=cifs nfsroot=//$IP_BSRV$/NWA_PXE_SHARE/$HEAD_DIR$ NFSOPTS=-ouser=serva,pass=avres,ro ip=bootp ro

Step one: Trying to get WinPE enviroments to work.

Using the base instructions from http://www.vercot.co....html#windowspe , when I run the serva program I get an error saying that it couldn't expand the bootmgr.exe. Any thoughts on why this might be? I have tried both WAIK, and ADK.

ok I feel rather stupid for this one. I was copying over bootmgr thinking it was what I needed, BUT i actually needed bootmgr.exe once I put that where it belonged WAMO! all works >< Thanks again Patrick!