Sudden shutdown when playing video or Youtube

Sp0iLedBrAt

It's like the title says, the laptop just randomly shuts down after a few videos on Youtube or a 20-30 min. of video played. I debugged the .dmp files and they are identical. It looks like processor trouble, so I was hoping for some advice. The log of the debugging is attached below in case anyone wants to drop a look.

Thank you for any advice you might be able to provide.

Debugged DMP.txt

It looks like processor trouble, so I was hoping for some advice.

CPU or GPU (more likely IMHO) overheating? :unsure:

Can you try with a cooling pad or similar to see if there is a difference (like doubling the time before the shutdown is forced/happens)

jaclaz

@GrofLuigi

I've tried Firefox and Chrome Portable; Hardware Acceleration is enabled in Flash. As a player I mostly use MPC - Home Cinema, but no hardware acceleration (DXVA or similar). No overclocking done.

@MagicAndre1981

The last two dumps had different values for arg2, so I did !errrec for both. The results are in the two text files attached here.

@Tripedacus

Thank you, I will try that and also SpeedFan for CPU/HDD temperatures.

Cheers and thank you.

second !errrec.txt

first !errrec.txt

Edit: I'm afraid OCCT will not work because

post-236786-0-16379300-1361472389_thumb.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

you have a L1 Cache issue which be caused by OC or overheating. What is the temperature when you get the crash?

The CPU is AMD Turion x2 2.2GHz RM-74 64-bit. It has not been overclocked, and the temperature is around 52-55 Celsius. I recently had it cleaned and the guys at the repair shop rewired the fan to be always on (the laptop has an EFI BIOS and there is such an option, but they didn't use that). Can this be the culprit? If so, they have a piece of my mind coming their way realmad.gif

Cheers and thanks

Sorry for not replying promptly.

I ran Prime95 on the most stressful settings; the CPU got to 94 degrees and it stayed there for a while. Then I plugged in the external cooling and got it down to 88 degrees. It stayed like that for almost an hour. Below is a screenshot in comparison with CPUID Hardware Monitor.

post-236786-0-67696300-1361736248_thumb.

Meanwhile, there was another shutdown and the same error, but a different arg2 value. I'm also attaching the !errrec log.

three.txt

Cheers

A quick update: I found this site http://superuser.com...code-0x00000124 and I found Andre in it; there was also a sub-link http://www.sevenforu...stop-0x124.html where cluberti lead the discussion. They both describe my problem in details, both with the CPU and the laptop make, HP.

Anyway, I reduced Maximum processor state to 90% (as proposed in the first link) and I'll see what happens. Meanwhile, I'm open to any other suggestion anyone might have.

Cheers and thanks

I had a friend who had the same model and the problem was overheating. I believe the fan is on the bottom, so if it doesn't get any circulation, it will shutdown. I used some boards to prop it up while I was fixing it. He still has it and haven't had any problems since. I thought it was the memory, we ended up buying replacements to find out that wasn't the problem. I still have the ram also, brand new, still in the package. Hope this is the case for you.