Windows Defender

mike13

I have upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, which has Windows Defender as the default antivirus.

Two questions.( 1). It does not appear that I can scan an individual file. Normally I would right click on a file or folder, and then I would get a dropdown menu. One of those choices would be to

SCAN the file or folder with your antivirus. I do not get that option. Am I doing something wrong ?? (2) Is this Windows Defender any good ?? I do not see any testing of this antivirus compared to other antiviruses yet by the major testing labs. Thanks, Mike

(sigh...) One more strike against Windows 8? Can't even "replace" it with MSSE according to this.

Ummm - not sure about this so back up your Registry. READ the whole thing.

No I do NOT have Win8 to test with so try at your own risk.

http://www.guidingtech.com/14276/add-scan-with-windows-defender-8-context-menu/

edit - DOH!!! Just read the Rick's link. ;)

EDIT#2 - This Topic should REALLY be in the Windows8 Subforum as it pertains to something "missing" and a workaround (as is with all of the other nonsensical "new features").

Edited by submix8c

Thanks everyone for your replies. The more I read about Windows Defender, the more disappointed I am. I originally had / have a paid subscription to Bitdefender Total Security 2013,

but when I upgraded to Windows 8 Bitdefender got messed up. I later found out that I should have removed Bitdefender first from my computer, did the upgrade, and then reinstall Bitdefender.

Well, after I upgraded to Windows 8, I thought I would give Windows Defender a chance before I reinstalled Bitdefender. Now I think I will just reinstall Bitdefender as it is ranked one or two in most of the testing I read about, and delete Windows Defender. Thanks again everyone for your replies, Mike

No hes correct, there is no longer an option in right click to scan a file (nor is there one to show status in the system tray)

Does this (the lack of an option to scan a file from the right-click context menu) apply to Windows Defender only, or to ANY antivirus program that the user may have installed on his system?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Hello JorgeA----I have tried several antiviruses in the past years. Such as AVG, Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Norton and MSE. All of these had to ability to right click on an individual file and to scan it. Even MSE which is the former Windows Defender. Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Have you tried this on Windows 8? Does it provide this capability to right-click to scan an individual file? The original poster wanted to know this with respect to MSE/Windows Defender in Windows 8, but I'm curious to know if the same thing (no right-click to scan a file) also happens with other AV programs in Windows 8.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Thanks, Mike.

Have you tried this on Windows 8? Does it provide this capability to right-click to scan an individual file? The original poster wanted to know this with respect to MSE/Windows Defender in Windows 8, but I'm curious to know if the same thing (no right-click to scan a file) also happens with other AV programs in Windows 8.

--JorgeA

Since I have Windows 8, I have only been running Windows Defender, so I can't say if Windows 8 is the problem or not. I would think the ability to scan a file would be with the AV though. I have been trying to install Bitdefender Total Security 2013, for about a week now..no luck.

A list of compatible AV Software for Windows 8 -

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/

Guess someone could "test" them?

That listing is not accurate. I have been trying to install Bitdefender 2013 Total Security for about a week now on my Windows 8 computer, no luck so far. Even the folks on the Bitdefender suppot site can not figure it out as yet, so you can remove BD from that list. Mike

The list is apparently erroneous. See this (links back to previous link) -

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/total-security.html

Also not the previous link says this -

The following security products are already compatible with Windows 8 (32 and 64 bit editions).

However, not all products are supporting all new Windows 8 features (like the new user interface) yet.

Probably based on the Vendor's claims.

I think that the issue is specific to Windows Defender. Today I booted into the Windows 8 Developer Preview, Consumer Preview, and Release Preview. In the DP I could scan an individual file by right-clicking on it and selecting Spybot Search & Destroy or Avast!. In the CP I could scan an individual file with Spybot, but not with Defender. In the RP, which only has Defender installed, there was no choice offering to scan an indivual file or folder.

I don' t know about the commercial versions of Windows 8.

For what it's worth, none of my PCs regardless of the OS (XP/Vista/7) include Windows Defender (I know, it's not the same as the one in 8) in that right-click menu.

I suspect it's a generalized Microsoft (lack of) "feature," not one specific to Win8.

--JorgeA