Why was MSFN down yesterday and why is it still slow?

MagicAndre1981

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, something strange was going on. Last night I submitted a PM and the next screen gave some kind of SQL error (not one that I had seen before).

Fortunately, the PM did get through, but for a moment there I thought that I'd lost what I had written. Guess I'll have to go back to pressing Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C every time before posting, to make sure that I can reconstruct the post if it gets lost.

--JorgeA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

MSFN was down yesterday (Jan. 12) for a while. Tried to get in several times over about a 7-hour period, with no success.

Any particular reason? I wasn't getting any informational result (like "SQL error" or something), as we sometimes get, but only a browser notice that it couldn't connect to the webpage. Tried it on a couple different computers, without success. Same router, but then I had no trouble getting to other websites via that router.

--JorgeA

MSFN has had a heck of a time the last 17 months. I think MSFN has been down at least 15 times during that period. That's an average of almost once a month. Some were hardware related, some were board software updates, and at least one was a DDoS attack. It's strange that all that has happened to MSFN while I'm not aware that either RyanVM or WinCert has been down for any appreciable time during that same period. I think they have been down occasionally, I know WinCert did at least one or two board software updates during that time and they use the same software that MSFN does, but it was brief enough it didn't cause any real impact, while MSFN has been down for over a day at a time in more than one of those instances and the rest of the outages were usually for several hours. I wonder why?

Cheers and Regards

Yes, I know. We figured out whats causing it. Server primary HDD is in pretty bad condition. Bad sectors, etc. I will need to take server down, swap primary HDD and do OS reload. I will do that today or tomorrow.

It's 5 o'clock CET in the morning here.