Blank screen during XP installation

tomasz86

A few days ago I was installing XP on a fairly new laptop with an Intel graphics card integrated (don't remember what model it was exactly). The thing is that the screen was completely blank during the whole GUI part of the installation. I prepared a fully automated installation (winnt.sif) and it actually finished successfully but there was just nothing shown on the screen during the whole process. I was able to know that the system was being installed by looking at the HDD led blinking. After the installation had finished the system booted normally.

Has anyone experienced such a problem? Is there any solution?

I didn't integrate the graphics driver into the XP source but even if I had done it, it would have been installed later during the GUI mode. The screen went blank right after the text installation had finished and the computer rebooted.

A few days ago I was installing XP on a fairly new laptop with an Intel graphics card integrated (don't remember what model it was exactly). The thing is that the screen was completely blank during the whole GUI part of the installation. I prepared a fully automated installation (winnt.sif) and it actually finished successfully but there was just nothing shown on the screen during the whole process. I was able to know that the system was being installed by looking at the HDD led blinking. After the installation had finished the system booted normally.

Has anyone experienced such a problem? Is there any solution?

I didn't integrate the graphics driver into the XP source but even if I had done it, it would have been installed later during the GUI mode. The screen went blank right after the text installation had finished and the computer rebooted.

JFYI, this kind of things sometimes (not necessatily your case) may happen also on the "display" side.

I have seen this happen (and also another "queer" effect such as NOT being able to see anything in the BIOS setup) with el-cheapo LCD's that are also (I shoudl say "mainly") TV's.

In practice the issue is the video card - for any reason - sending signals with a resolution/frequency that the LCD - for any reason - doesn't "hook" correctly.

jaclaz

Happens here occasionally with a Radeon 5830 and an HP LP3065 monitor. Completely removing power from the tower (unplugging) restores the display. Seems to be an issue with the graphics card that a soft power down or reset does not correct.

HAH! 5eraph - keywords = 'new laptop" (unplug is not an option is it?).... Seems the GUI-part (PnP) of the Video wasn't showing the screen until reboot. Odd...

Q: How many Reboots?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_times_does_the_system_reboot_in_a_windows_XP_installation

A: "3 times"

1 - Textmode

2 - Install <-Problem area

3 - Welcome

Correct?

Maybe you mean to "power down" after Textmode then "power up"?

Edited by submix8c

HAH! 5eraph - keywords = 'new laptop" (unplug is not an option is it?)

Yes, it's still an option. Remove the battery. ;)

I'm aware that the circumstances differ from mine. My point was that the monitor is not always to blame.

Edited by 5eraph

Thank you for explanation :)

It was my friend's laptop and the system is already installed now but if I ever have to reinstall it I may try to remove the battery and see if there's any difference. If not then I guess there's no easy fix for this issue apart from preparing a fully unattended installation, right?

My point was that the monitor is not always to blame.

Well the actual point is that there are mainly two devices involved, the video card and the display.

One of the two must be the culprit or concurring to the issue.

In the case I cited, I could replace the monitor with an old CRT one I had around.

In your case, it is *something* in the video card. (and yes, I remember vaguely something similar happening about the need of fully powering down a system between the two phases :thumbup )

Idea! idea.gif

@tomasz86

Even if it's a laptop, why don't you try attaching an external monitor next time?

jaclaz

The screen went blank right after the text installation had finished and the computer rebooted.

If you could'n even see the POST screen, it's a hardware problem.

I've also had that on a Compaq laptop years ago, the screen would be blank about 1 in every 30 reboots.