Windows 2000 Security

Tommy

I got into a little debate with someone on another forum, and so now I need to ask this. This goes out basically to the Windows 2000 updaters. Just how safe and secure is Windows 2000? Say you have the latest malware and antivirus definitions installed, a firewall, and the unofficial updates along with even the kernel extensions. Is Windows 2000 just as or nearly as safe and secure as say Windows 7 or Windows 8 is? This particular member said even with these things installed, my system is still open to attacks and all that fun stuff. But I'm basically as up to date as I can be with the unofficial updates available on this forum and I basically only do very limited things on my computer. Input is certainly appreciated.

I think you could look at it either way. An OS that is no longer updated may have vulnerabilities that leave it open to an attack targeting the particular OS. But since Windows 2000 market share is so small at this point, who is actually targetting it? In a way it could be considered security through obscurity.

From what I hear the vast majority of malware infections result from:

1) user doing something dumb

2) browser or plug-in vulnerability

Avoiding those risks will rule out most threats. Properly configured firewall should take care of the rest.

From what I hear the vast majority of malware infections result from:

1) user doing something dumb

That's really the biggest one from what I can see. I only do a couple things with my machine and that's to come here, then I go to Zelda Universe forums and a Who Wants to be a Millionaire forum, then I get me email through Outlook which I really don't get much except from my fiancee. That's about the only things I use my computer for online except for the occasional looking up stuff. No more Facebook for me. Even when I did use Facebook, I barely did anything on it except post the very rare status update or browse a few friends profiles.

Edited by Tommy