[Solved] Customize Toolbar doesn't "Stick" in Word 2003

mitchsc

Hello All.

I'm trying to add the "Find" button to the Standard Toolbar in Word 2003. Used Customize, and dragged in the button from the Edit category. This works fine, and the button is functional and displaying in all Word documents.

But if I close Word altogether, when I reopen a Word document, the new Find button is gone. In fact, even rearranging the order of Toolbar buttons using Customize, reverts back to the default order after I close and reopen Word.

Haven't been able to find anything on this topic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Problem Solved:

I just remembered that my Word program does not allow me to change any Formatting from within a Word document by using the Default button after a change is made. I must go into Normal.dot and make the changes there. I still don't know why this is, but it works.

It just occurred to me that adding a Toolbar button may be considered a "format" change, so I added it in Normal.dot, and it stuck.

Thank you all. I hope this information will be of use to someone else.

(PS: I don't see a way to mark this thread as solved.)

Yes, you must always change and save the template (in this case normal.dot).

AFAICR, use the "edit" on the FIRST post to change the Title of the thread. Try to use same Title with "Solved" so it doesn't alter the original Title much.

HTH

Thank you (for both)... :)

SubMix: From what I have read, including MS knowledge base, I "should" be able to change the format from any word doc by using the Default button after the change, which subsequently changes Normal.dot. This works fine on my XP laptop.

However, on both of my Win7 PCs, I must navigate directly to the Normal.dot file, and make the changes there. I don't know why. Many other people seem to have this problem as well.

Thanks again...

Thanks SubMix.

I hope it is allowed to reference another post in this thread. If not, sorry.

Maybe you could take a peek at this other weird problem I'm having in Word 2003. I posted the issue at

Again, Thank you...