Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

a quote from a post above

where have you seen that

I was sure I read it, but perhaps not. Still, current uptime since last reboot - 08:53:35 and no popup.

(But cant we all just let that discussion just fade away?)

agree - wish the popup would as well :rolleyes:

thats my point as well - he is looking for a perfect finished version - that will never happen - there will always be a - what if? - so make this version 1 - give it a price point - those who want to pay will - those who dont can stick with 0.7 with popups

This is not about perfect version. It is about the fact that this is still the development version only which has its own roadmap. And it will be released when it is planned to be released and not when you say it.

Please stop talking about those popups, that's bigmuscle choice and complaining about it won't change anything.

If you can't stand them simply consider that Aero Glass for Windows 8 is not available yet, uninstall it and come back later.

That's all folks.

Yeah and that's the point. I could make the program private and provide it to closed group of testers only and publish the screenshots only. What would happen? People would start shouting that it is fake and they want it too. So I provided the development version to the public. And users come and shout that they can't use it for regular usage (you can check e.g. WindowBlinds forum, the same happens there, just the developers didn't released anything to the public) :wacko:

@BigMuscle...

As far as I'm concerned, the whole point of this is just to help you get AG working and I have no problem with the way you chose to make it clear that this is a test version - but I do have a suggestion that may be worth considering...

I'm assuming that you are going to ask for a "small fee" for the finished version - so how about offering "pre-release registration" now for a fraction of that fee? (if you plan on asking $1, for exampe,, allow registration for the betas at 50 cents - not suggesting prices, just using those as illustrations). In return for registering now, the pop-up can be limited to - say - once a day and the beta-fee can be offset against full registration when the final release is available.

That way, those of us who aren't bothered by the pop-ups can continue testing in peace and anyone who finds them that much of a problem can supress them by effectively paying a portion of the registration fee in advance in return for a slightly cripple version (basically, no diferent to paying to "remove adverts" in many "free" applications).

(You might also need to think about asking the moderators to do some weeding on this thread soon - it's becoming increasingly difficult follow the development of your app)

Good idea. However, I would like to stop the discussion about this. I'm going to provide new development version soon, so I want to keep this thread clean so I can track any reports.

Anything to look forward to in the new version? Can't wait.

I am using DWMGlass.dll only, deleted the other files. No problems or notification so far, testing it on a fresh setup :)

When the program is finished I maybe purchase it, but the developer, for whom we are just ungrateful parasites, should think over his statements he made here.

I am using DWMGlass.dll only, deleted the other files. No problems or notification so far, testing it on a fresh setup :)

When the program is finished I maybe purchase it, but the developer, for whom we are just ungrateful parasites, should think over his statements he made here.

will test that later when i get back onto a 64bit machine - if it works - well done

I did not came here by google-search "be tester for aero glass for Win 8 beta".

Given conditions are: No Aero Glass. So what is Windows 8 with Aero Glass in your opinion?

we are just ungrateful parasites

BigMuscle, please just ignore ungrateful parasites or whatever it is they would like to call themselves.

There are a lot of folks here who understand completely what you're doing and would sincerely like to help you accomplish your goals. You are singlehandedly going to turn Windows 8 around with this work.

-Noel

Good idea. However, I would like to stop the discussion about this. I'm going to provide new development version soon, so I want to keep this thread clean so I can track any reports.

Anything to look forward to in the new version? Can't wait.

Of course, many bug fixes and mainly things which are the most important for making the glass effect reimplementation complete :-) Unfortunately, I can't make work these new things in 32-bit version :-(

Of course, many bug fixes and mainly things which are the most important for making the glass effect reimplementation complete :-) Unfortunately, I can't make work these new things in 32-bit version :-(

Great, looking forward to its release. BTW, were you able to solve the multiple monitor aero glass issue?

And as for x86, try MagicAndre1981's suggestion, try debugging in VB or VM...

Edited by Rayn19

Yes, I could. But I would have to download it from my MSDN account at first and it will take ages with my internet connection. And it is too much time when I need to read only some DLL offsets in debugger.

Sorry, Bigmuscle, as coming off as a bit of a jerk. I really do appreciate what you do. If it has a price, so what?

Back on topic: what do you specifically plan to do in the next version? Will it eliminate the need for windows to be set as partially transparent? Will it blend the background and glass color differently?

I can tell that this program is really taking shape. Maybe it will be ready to release in 2 or 3 more versions.