Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

My Lock screen got skipped a couple of times while using RC1 and it still, sometimes, gets skipped in RC2, does anyone else have the same problem? I tried it on a fresh install of Windows 8 and still the problem persists.

Here are my RC1 debug logs, and debug logs after fresh install.

The performance seems a little more better with RC2, cant wait for the final release.

BTW, bigmuscle, what are your plans for its GUI?

My OS in Windows 8 x64. I have installed an installer version for Aero Glass for Windows 8 RC1 x64 recently. I didn't use Glass Colorization Swatches.reg. After that I uninstalled the application and deleted the DWM folder in C:/ Now I have a flickering black screen (LED backlight on - off) after reboot. The safe mode doesn't work. After several attempts to reboot I get BSOD BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. What should I do? (I would like not to reinstall Windows)

hey bigmuscle ,will you remove popup window in the next version? :rolleyes: I want it can work all the time even I play the game or watch movie!

Wow, if I had time would like to count how many posts there are asking for the popup to be removed. I'm not even going to tell you. Go to page 90, 89, 88, or whatever your favorite number is and read Bigmuscle's explanation, either directly from him or echoed by other members.

Bigmuscle, it would benefit you and us to include another message in the popup box in future versions:

"This popup WILL NOT be removed until the 1.0 release of this software. DO NOT talk about this on the main thread of this utility. If you don't like this popup, then uninstall this and wait until the final release. It will happen soon enough."

OK I will waiting for the next version!

My OS in Windows 8 x64. I have installed an installer version for Aero Glass for Windows 8 RC1 x64 recently. I didn't use Glass Colorization Swatches.reg. After that I uninstalled the application and deleted the DWM folder in C:/ Now I have a flickering black screen (LED backlight on - off) after reboot. The safe mode doesn't work. After several attempts to reboot I get BSOD BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. What should I do? (I would like not to reinstall Windows)

This happened to me when i test it :} , it comes like that because there is some updated windows files that forcing to load the AppInit DLL Files, i'am sure that you not delete the registry value of AppInit.

There is no solution for me :( , so i just re -install my windows / reset / referesh it, as it was my own risk to install this software :D

So, like big muscle say. Use this software at your own risk, this still RC (Recandidate) version, not a final release version :yes:

AERO GLASS for Win8 RC2

* optimized buffer size

* send integer screen size to vertex shader (this should reduce occasional flickering)

* improved D3D error handling

This version does not bring anything important now. It just contains several internal optimizations which I need to test before final release to decide whether to include them now or postpone them for some later 1.x release.

Glad to see these optimizations. The less resources it takes the better.

Well, I expected that the RC version can crush my system. But I also have Windows XP x86 (sic!) in dual-boot with Windows 8 and I can load and edit the hives of Win8 registry. I have deleted the keys connected with AppInit DLL in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows, but there's no changes. The best I get is a black screen with a cursor. Finally, it will be better and faster for me to install this Win8 in a virtual machine and compare certain system files / registry keys, which of them were changed. Then I can replace the changed files with originals.

Moreover, I have Linux Mint as third OS on my laptop, besides Windows! :hello: If Windows don't allow to replace or even copy system files, Linux will access even System Volume Information. B)

Edited by Waad

Hope this OK, I made a all in one for x86 and x64 installer, includes AGTweeker by ORelio mod by Tusticles http://www.mediafire.com/download/jul3dxyt2uz5i12/Aero_Glass_RC2_v0.93.exe

@ BigMuscle Just wanted to point out a bug using the reimplemented sidebar gadgets and sidebar, I know this is not something that is meant to run on Windows 8 but it may have implementations on other programs.

If you use a selection box and move it over the sidebar you get this effect, same as was first seen trying to bring back aero.

21o9g1k.jpg

Also seen if you move a gadget that is docked on the sidebar

315gwtw.jpg

Aside from that small bug everything seems to be going great, not bothered if you fix the problem using the sidebar as I don't use it anyway, but it's something you can test and maybe find an easy fix, something you may have overlooked.

Edit: Just one other bug I noticed with aero enabled, when you bring up the explorer jump list, sometimes there is a delay before the recent items are displayed, the delay can be about 2 seconds, after the first delay it appears instantly as it should, tested with aero off and the problem does not occur.

Edited by MrGRiM

If you can boot into recovery options, then try refresh your PC. If it's set up, this feature will format the Windows partition of your hard drive and reinstall Windows automatically with no user involvement. Then it will copy your documents back and reinstall your Windows Store apps.

Because it's a full restore and resets the desktop, this is a perfectly good (if not a little bit overkill) way to casually uninstall the software as well.

AERO GLASS for Win8 RC2

* optimized buffer size

* send integer screen size to vertex shader (this should reduce occasional flickering)

* improved D3D error handling

This version does not bring anything important now. It just contains several internal optimizations which I need to test before final release to decide whether to include them now or postpone them for some later 1.x release.

thanks for the new version. Works fine so far. The TGit flickering is still there, but I ignore it now.

--edit--

Reg file for AGTweaker

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{373419B5-F3F9-4D20-9A45-6D4898CE9E04}]
@="Aero Glass Tweaker"
"InfoTip"="Change Aero Glass Settings"
"System.ControlPanel.Category"="1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{373419B5-F3F9-4D20-9A45-6D4898CE9E04}\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{373419B5-F3F9-4D20-9A45-6D4898CE9E04}\Shell\Open\command]
@="C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{373419B5-F3F9-4D20-9A45-6D4898CE9E04}]
@="Aero Glass Tweaker"

Oke thank's i'll make it included in RC2 installer version.

By the way can you send me the Updated AGTwekaer modification to be included in the installer version :D

Fallow this guide, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh127450(v=vs.85).aspx

Hope this OK, I made a all in one for x86 and x64 installer, includes AGTweeker by ORelio mod by Tusticles http://www.mediafire.com/download/jul3dxyt2uz5i12/Aero_Glass_RC2_v0.93.exe

@ BigMuscle Just wanted to point out a bug using the reimplemented sidebar gadgets and sidebar, I know this is not something that is meant to run on Windows 8 but it may have implementations on other programs.

If you use a selection box and move it over the sidebar you get this effect, same as was first seen trying to bring back aero.

21o9g1k.jpg

Also seen if you move a gadget that is docked on the sidebar

315gwtw.jpg

Aside from that small bug everything seems to be going great, not bothered if you fix the problem using the sidebar as I don't use it anyway, but it's something you can test and maybe find an easy fix, something you may have overlooked.

Edit: Just one other bug I noticed with aero enabled, when you bring up the explorer jump list, sometimes there is a delay before the recent items are displayed, the delay can be about 2 seconds, after the first delay it appears instantly as it should, tested with aero off and the problem does not occur.

I tried installing windows sidebar into Win8 (from this link http://winaero.com/download.php?view.40) and I don't see any problem.

So let's prepare for final version. But I would need a little bit of help to finish 1.0 and prepare all stuff for user-friendly release:

a) if you are using RC2 version then upload your debug.log after few hours of running. I would be glad if this running time includes common operations, computer restarts, etc.

b) it would be good if we can collect screenshots from Aero Glass usage to be displayed on the website (@ berlios currently). The screenshots should be clean as much as possible, smart and should not contain any personal information or advertisement (it should not even include desktop shortcuts of cracked software etc.). I will then select some of them and put them on the website.

c) I'm searching for someone experienced who would be able to create official theme for the Aero Glass utilization. This theme should be elegant, clean and it should be made only as a modification of the original Win8 theme resource. (so only PNG compatible with default Win8 Aero theme) It mustn't be the complete msstyle theme. I would suggest to base the look on Win8 Consumer/Release Preview (square look with shadows, bordered frame buttons, caption glow etc.) It must look good with Aero Glass effect - possibly regardless the selected frame color.

Thank you!

Edited by bigmuscle

So let's prepare for final version. But I would need a little bit of help to finish 1.0 and prepare all stuff for user-friendly release:

a) if you are using RC2 version then upload your debug.log after few hours of running. I would be glad if this running time includes common operations, computer restarts, etc.

B) it would be good if we can collect screenshots from Aero Glass usage to be displayed on the website (@ berlios currently). The screenshots should be clean as much as possible, smart and should not contain any personal information or advertisement (it should not even include desktop shortcuts of cracked software etc.). I will then select some of them and put them on the website.

c) I'm searching for someone experienced who would be able to create official theme for the Aero Glass utilization. This theme should be elegant, clean and it should be made only as a modification of the original Win8 theme resource. (so only PNG compatible with default Win8 Aero theme) It mustn't be the complete msstyle theme. I would suggest to base the look on Win8 Consumer/Release Preview (square look with shadows, bordered frame buttons, caption glow etc.) It must look good with Aero Glass effect - possibly regardless the selected frame color.

Thank you!

I will work on this ASAP.

I also assume for Screenshots, the desktop images should only be Windows Defaults to avoid and wallpaper artist objections? (Or personal, non identifying images/wallpapers from designers who with to have their wallpapers used for this purpose).