Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

I recommend enabling aero glass from the command line and using a system drive variable with AppInit_DLLs instead of assuming that the system drive is C: when it may be D, E etc.

@echo off:: ### ENABLE AERO..> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00>> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo.>> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]>> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo "LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001>> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo "AppInit_DLLs"="%systemdrive%\\DWM\\DWMGlass.dll">> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo "RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000start /wait regedit /s "%tmp%\~enable.reg"del "%tmp%\~enable.reg":: ### MAKE CHANGE IMMEDIATE.. %systemroot%\system32\taskkill /f /im dwm.exe /t

I recommend enabling aero glass from the command line and using a system drive variable with AppInit_DLLs instead of assuming that the system drive is C: when it may be D, E etc.

@echo off:: ### ENABLE AERO..> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00>> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo.>> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]>> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo "LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001>> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo "AppInit_DLLs"="%systemdrive%\\DWM\\DWMGlass.dll">> "%tmp%\~enable.reg" echo "RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000start /wait regedit /s "%tmp%\~enable.reg"del "%tmp%\~enable.reg":: ### MAKE CHANGE IMMEDIATE.. %systemroot%\system32\taskkill /f /im dwm.exe /t
Using REG ADD is more direct than creating a temporary .reg file:

@echo offREG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows /V "LoadAppInit_DLLs" /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /FREG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows /V "AppInit_DLLs" /T REG_SZ /D "%systemdrive%\\DWM\\DWMGlass.dll" /FREG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows /V "RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs" /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /Ftaskkill /f /im dwm.exe /t

@ Aaaaa

I just converted a WORKING reg file to command line, besides your reg add method ERRORS out with "ERROR:Invalid syntax. Type "Reg ADD /?" for usage." but if you tested it first before posting you would have known that.. hint add quotes to first section and then try again..DP :w00t:

I don't have a disk whereas I installed Windows 8 onto my laptop using the offline installer from Microsoft's website and I have no clue how to do the secure boot because once again I don't have a laptop that came with Windows 8 so I don't have that kind of BIOS that I know of isn't that only SEFU or whatever it is? I have no idea but I don't know what to do because I have waited over 3 hours and still nothing.

DosProbie: Yor script could be easily used for installer, except one thing - what if LoadAppInit_DLLs already contains some value, does it merge it with new one to ensure that it does not break any other application?

bigmuscle, I think you may have meant existing data under AppInit_DLLs, because LoadAppInit_DLLs can only be 0 or 1.

Additionally, unless it has changed since Win7, the dll full path data under AppInit_DLLs should be comma or space delimited and in short filename format.

BTW, the Aaaaa REG command version above apart from the missing quotes as highlighted by DosProbie should also not be escaping backslashes.

I don't have a disk whereas I installed Windows 8 onto my laptop using the offline installer from Microsoft's website and I have no clue how to do the secure boot because once again I don't have a laptop that came with Windows 8 so I don't have that kind of BIOS that I know of isn't that only SEFU or whatever it is? I have no idea but I don't know what to do because I have waited over 3 hours and still nothing.

Do you have a windows 7 Setup disc ? If you do, use it to get to Command Prompt and open regedit , so you can get to C:\ and delete DWMGlass.dll

Edited by ace2

Expanding on what Aaaaa suggested, I played around with extracting the current value of AppInit_DLLs with a batch command. This script will read out our current value, save it to a variable then add the new value appended with the old value to the registry. I tested it on my win7 system and all the registry values were set correctly (assuming comma-delimited is how it works). I don't have a win8.0 machine anymore so can't test if loading the Aero Glass that way really works, but in theory it should.

@echo offFOR /F "tokens=3" %%i in ('REG QUERY "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /v "AppInit_DLLs"') do SET APPINIT_DLLS=%%iecho Current AppInit_DLLs contains the following: %APPINIT_DLLS%pauseecho Adding new value to existing entryIF NOT [%appinit_dlls%] == [] (	REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /V "AppInit_DLLs" /T REG_SZ /D "%APPINIT_DLLS%,%systemdrive%\DWM\DWMGlass.dll" /F)IF [%appinit_dlls%] == [] (	REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /V "AppInit_DLLs" /T REG_SZ /D "%systemdrive%\DWM\DWMGlass.dll" /F)FOR /F "tokens=3" %%i in ('REG QUERY "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /v "AppInit_DLLs"') do SET APPINIT_DLLS=%%iecho Done. Current value is now %appinit_dlls%pauseecho Activating LoadAppInit_DLLsREG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /V "LoadAppInit_DLLs" /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /FREG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /V "RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs" /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /Fecho DWM will be restarted once you hit enterpausetaskkill /f /im dwm.exe /techo All done.pause
edit: added a check for AppInit_DLLs being empty. Edited by Soukyuu

How many computers can you use per license with the Aero Glass final? Can you use it on more than one computer for those who donated (Myself included)

is there a licence? - thought it was just a dll or does it have to be activated in some way

How many computers can you use per license with the Aero Glass final? Can you use it on more than one computer for those who donated (Myself included)

I sent my Machine code for my VM and a physical machine and got activation codes for both, I also PM'd BM and asked if it would be OK to use the final version on my sisters new Windows 8 PC but had no reply but I don't think he minds how many of our own machines or friends we install it on, I also expect this method of activation will not be final for the finished product as each machine code needs to be checked by BM before he sends you a activation code.

Expanding on what Aaaaa suggested, I played around with extracting the current value of AppInit_DLLs with a batch command. This script will read out our current value, save it to a variable then add the new value appended with the old value to the registry. I tested it on my win7 system and all the registry values were set correctly (assuming comma-delimited is how it works). I don't have a win8.0 machine anymore so can't test if loading the Aero Glass that way really works, but in theory it should.

@echo off

<snip />

Here's a slightly different version, which checks for the delimiter.

Reg_Aero.cmd

I sent my Machine code for my VM and a physical machine and got activation codes for both, I also PM'd BM and asked if it would be OK to use the final version on my sisters new Windows 8 PC but had no reply but I don't think he minds how many of our own machines or friends we install it on, I also expect this method of activation will not be final for the finished product as each machine code needs to be checked by BM before he sends you a activation code.

Something tells me the entire "activation" thing won't last longer than the final release. I think it's a "safety mechanism" just like that damned message box, to keep it from leaking out to general public until BM decides it's good to go. Making this software permanently "paid-for" kinda kills the point for it's sheer existence: Not a lot of people (general public, and not PC geeks, that is) are going to want to pay for a potentially unstable software without installer, especially when there's a "neet & sweet" Stardock's solution already available for a lot of time now. Yes, those guys don't have "true glass", but they do have transparency combined with theming "in one easy solution", not to mention the whole "easy of use" thing, which this software doesn't (and isn't going to, from what we heard so far).

But by being free of charge (and activation), BM's solution can escape being Stardock's competition, and be it's own thing.

That's just my opinion, nothing else. This isn't meant to criticize anything, or "tell anybody how to act".

DosProbie: Yor script could be easily used for installer, except one thing - what if LoadAppInit_DLLs already contains some value, does it merge it with new one to ensure that it does not break any other application?

Excellent question BM, Actually I tested this all out before posting and whatever 3 values or non values are in hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\windows

ie: LoadAppInit_DLLs, AppInit_DLLs and RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs it will update values to the enabled value needed per the batch, see below cmd that will do what I am talking about..DP :yes:

ps: added a run as admin script for those non admin users with metro enabled to avoid the right click admin..

@echo off:: ### Admin Check..if "%~1"=="a" goto :start:getfileset "file=%temp%\%random%.file.vbs"if exist "%file%" goto :getfile>"%file%" echo Set UAC = CreateObject("Shell.Application")>>"%file%" echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~f0", "a", "", "runas", 1start "" "%file%"goto :eof:startdel "%temp%\*.vbs">nul 2>&1:: ### Enable Aero Glass (adds correct values to display aero and/or overwrite exsisting values if already present) reg add "hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\windows" /v "LoadAppInit_DLLs" /t reg_dword /d 1 /f>nul 2>&1reg add "hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\windows" /v "AppInit_DLLs" /t reg_sz /d "%systemdrive%\DWM\DWMGlass.dll" /f>nul 2>&1reg add "hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\windows" /v "RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs" /t reg_dword /d 0 /f>nul 2>&1:: ### RESTART DWM To Enable Changes Immediately..%systemroot%\system32\taskkill /f /im dwm.exe /t:eofexit
Edited by DosProbie