Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Sorry, I'm a bit confused here, I can only see one registry file and thats swatches_hkcu.reg, I clicked on that but I don't see anything coming up on the registry. Isn't there meant to be another registry file where it creates the values in the registry, LoadGlass__AppInit_DLLs? It appears to be absent in this version. Sorry if I sound like a noob, but I'm not too familar with registry files and so on.

Apparently BigMuscle has removed even the .reg file that helps automate installation, so you have to be an uber-geek to get it working. I can't say I blame him for being gunshy about causing people's systems to stop working, but this software actually seems to have failsafe logic beyond what most has.

I'm happy to say that the released version works *perfectly*, using the same technique to load it as before (the AppInit_DLLs value in the registry).

Really great job, BigMuscle!

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Sorry, I'm a bit confused here, I can only see one registry file and thats swatches_hkcu.reg, I clicked on that but I don't see anything coming up on the registry. Isn't there meant to be another registry file where it creates the values in the registry, LoadGlass__AppInit_DLLs? It appears to be absent in this version. Sorry if I sound like a noob, but I'm not too familar with registry files and so on.

Open notepad and paste these lines:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\\Windows\\DWM\\DWMGlass.dll""RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000

(don't forget to change a real AeroGlass folder location (I put it under C:\Windows - don't like many folders in the root directory))

Save it under "AeroGlassReg.reg" name and execute with regedit.exe

After that, open task manager and kill process dwm.exe (it will restart shortly), and you allset ;)

Edited by SeNS

I clicked on that but I don't see anything coming up on the registry. Isn't there meant to be another registry file where it creates the values in the registry, LoadGlass__AppInit_DLLs? It appears to be absent in this version. Sorry if I sound like a noob, but I'm not too familar with registry files and so on.

Nope, there should not be any other registry file. The link I post describes exact steps how to install this library and it even shows the image with highlighted items which you should set.

The file is not here because you cannot ensure that it will not rewrite already existing values, that user correctly writes double backslashes and it sometimes does not correctly import at all - I don't know why but if I export this registry branch, the file name is encoded as binary string.

Open notepad and paste these lines:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\\Windows\\DWM\\DWMGlass.dll""RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000

(don't forget to change a real AeroGlass folder location (I put it under C:\Windows - don't like many folders in the root directory))

Save it under "AeroGlassReg.reg" name and execute with regedit.exe

After that, open task manager and kill process dwm.exe (it will restart shortly), and you allset ;)

Thanks, that worked perfectly.

Thanks for the email BM for unlimited Aero for Win8 and 8.1, Just sent my machine code over to you!
Thanks for all your hard work..DP

For those that do not seem to know how to make it work, just use the basic non installer that I have posted on here..http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163503-aeroglass-v03-x64-silent-installer-for-windows-8/

When will everyone else be getting Aero Glass? And will it be free?

I think he is still working on completing the x86 version and probably the installer, just be patient I am sure it will not be too long, I have the final version already and I know as a donator I got it early but I don't want that to be a reason for not letting everyone receive it when it's complete although I am very grateful.

So was the final release only for donators that donated in the past or is it for anyone that donates? Still havent received anything about it.

Yes and No

Edited by ace2

So was the final release only for donators that donated in the past or is it for anyone that donates? Still havent received anything about it.

Donators only got the Final first, as a little bonus. The official release is comming. Seems some people have problems with that and need to post this refrainingly.

@ DosProbie

Nice script. Actually there is no need to LogOff to make it work. Killing dwm.exe, which will restart instantly is enough :D.