Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Noel, Like i said in my post..

So you must have had Aero glass disabled to get the update to install..DP

Nope. I've had Aero Glass for Windows 8 installed, running, and up to date ever since somewhere well back in the alpha releases. Windows Updates have just worked. I can't recall having a time when I've had it off.

-Noel

Likewise over her. No problems, update with Aero Glass running./Mike

When will the final release?

Like fine wine, good software takes time.

A good installer even more so.

-Noel

Wow, so the installer for this will take even more time than the software? I guess we should be expecting an early-mid February 2014 release, then.

I will not include installer at all unless I found a proper way to load glass at Windows start-up. It is still too much dangerous to modify AppInit_DLLs registry value so it should be done by advanced user and not by automatic installer.

I will not include installer at all unless I found a proper way to load glass at Windows start-up. It is still too much dangerous to modify AppInit_DLLs registry value so it should be done by advanced user and not by automatic installer.

How does Windowblinds inject itself? It obviously does so via its installer. Does it also use the same Appinit_Dlls key that yours does? There's a way to make it work.

Wait.. So you aren't gonna make a simple installer for the official product? You do realize that if you do that you will have people on a daily basis going directly to you asking you how to do it and you'll have to eventually have to make some sort of tutorial page... or just an installer after a while.

Edited by BlindMango

I will not include installer at all unless I found a proper way to load glass at Windows start-up. It is still too much dangerous to modify AppInit_DLLs registry value

Pardon me for being blunt, but that's ridiculous.

If you don't do it, then basically you'll just have one of the several guys doing one already just pushing theirs. It seems to me half the problems people have had in this thread have been because you didn't provide an integrated, direct installer, and they've been desperately trying to use one of the other installers. The versions are getting crossed up, or they're tweaking wrong registry entries, or...

The job's not finished without even the simplest of installers, even if all it does besides deposit files is to set and clear one registry entry. It wouldn't be the first installer that required logging off and on again or even a reboot for the installed software to function.

And "dangerous"? How? What's worrying you? Are you making a fundamental differentiation between a user setting a registry value then getting a black screen vs. a user running an installer and getting a black screen? I'm not seeing it.

-Noel

I will not include installer at all unless I found a proper way to load glass at Windows start-up. It is still too much dangerous to modify AppInit_DLLs registry value

Pardon me for being blunt, but that's ridiculous.

If you don't do it, then basically you'll just have one of the several guys doing one already just pushing theirs. It seems to me half the problems people have had in this thread have been because you didn't provide an integrated, direct installer, and they've been desperately trying to use one of the other installers. The versions are getting crossed up, or they're tweaking wrong registry entries, or...

The job's not finished without even the simplest of installers, even if all it does besides deposit files is to set and clear one registry entry. It wouldn't be the first installer that required logging off and on again or even a reboot for the installed software to function.

And "dangerous"? How? What's worrying you? Are you making a fundamental differentiation between a user setting a registry value then getting a black screen vs. a user running an installer and getting a black screen? I'm not seeing it.

-Noel

I don't think that's ridiculous at all, AG in its current state is intended for advanced users (at least for those guys who know how the registry works and how to backup / restore your system just in case something bad happens). Manually apply AG to your system will help you know how to undo it (rather than an automatic installer which might risk leaving something behind). If the user can't handle those basic tasks, they shouldn't be using AG in the first place.

If those people are willing to risk their producing environment and use others' installer, it's their own fault for doing that. Even the original developer thinks it's not safe to use an automatic installer to modify AppInit_DLLS registry value, so why are people trying to make one? If you want to spread the word, it's simple, just write an in-depth tutorial on how to manually apply the AG, warn about the risks involved in using it and encourage the users to report bugs to this topic so BM could take a look into them and better the product, instead of creating additional problems that shouldn't be there in the first place (just how many posts in this thread are off-topic posts with people complaining about installer / tweaker - related problems?)

Edited by quanzi1507

There is no rule that final software must contain the installer. The majority of the software on the berlios/sourceforge/etc. does not have any installer and is available in the form of portable file only. It depends totally on the user how he installs the software into his computer.

How does Windowblinds inject itself? It obviously does so via its installer. Does it also use the same Appinit_Dlls key that yours does? There's a way to make it work.

I already wrote it earlier. WindowBlinds completely replaces the default UX theme service which makes complete rendering non-native. Also, WindowBlinds are the commercial application so there is the demand it has the installer. I am a developer of a library which reimplements blur effect, not a software company which creates complete solution.

There is a big difference. In case the installer does it, user has absolutely no control what's changed. In case the advanced user does it, he knows what he changed and what to restore back in the case of any problems.

I have one installer prepared for a long time but since this library is very advanced/low-level thing, you can't never ensure that it works properly. It is not just "extract, modify registry value and restart", you must handle various cases such as updates, uninstalls, other software injecting via AppInit_DLLs, not having black screen on uninstall if user changes default theme, etc. etc. many of situations that you cannot handle completely by automatic installer.

i [sort of] understand the arguments about how the installer works or does not and can see both sides of the argument - surely it depends on what BM wants from it - if the program is commercial then it must be complete [surely] - or i would think so - so an installer should be there - but following the argument that it may not work in some cases then what use is it

as stated by BM he is a developer of a library that works but may never work in the true sense of a released program due to the way Microsoft have left the glass in windows 8 - he has done what many want and what there is may be it - imo its time to release the 1st final version - spread the word and look at problems/installers from there - 6 months ago what we see now seemed impossible - who knows what will happen in the future

Edited by adacom

In the case of Win8.1, it can be nicely installed just by extracting files and schedule exe file to start with computer with admin privileges. Uninstalling is just removing the scheduled task and deleting the files. However, in case of Win8, it is really complicated to ensure it will be clean and safe.