Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

BigMuscle, I know there already has been some discussion on here on using a $M "digital signature" with your product, I see where other developers like Rafael with UxStyle http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23241-uxstyle-a-better-solution-to-patch-uxthemedll-from-rafael/

used donations to fund this, I for one would donate for that and something you could add to your website.

Anyone else like this idea? If so let's take a vote..Aye or Nay?..DP :yes:

for those of us that dont understand these things can you explain what the advantages are - have followed the discussion about updates breaking things - for me that has not happened but who knows what M$ will do in the future - does this mean Glass is then approved and cannot be broken

Digital signature are commonly used for software distribution integrity..DP

http://blog.didierstevens.com/category/windows-7/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15923391/unable-to-load-release-dll-specified-in-appinit-dlls-on-windows-7

Hard to believe that this project has been over six months now, So when BigMuscle feels its ready then i have no issue with that, actually I wouldn't mind if he did a RC5

for more testing..DP

Hard to believe that this project has been over six months now, So when BigMuscle feels its ready then i have no issue with that, actually I wouldn't mind if he did a RC5

for more testing..DP

I know. Man, I remember testing the first preview versions. He has gone a long way since then. Thank you BigMuscle for all of your work! I can't wait to see what's in the final version.

If you are open to suggestions for version 2, I wouldn't mind having the "aero reflection" stripes from Windows Vista and 7 along with aero glass, it adds a nice touch. But don't feel pressured, it's just a thought :-)

I just simultaneously installed 52 updates (which somehow didn't include the problem update DP had), and everything worked just as it should :-)

I have switched from UltraUXThemePatcher to UxStyle and so far no Black Flashing screens after doing 57 updates..DP :thumbup

I just simultaneously installed 52 updates (which somehow didn't include the problem update DP had), and everything worked just as it should :-)

I have switched from UltraUXThemePatcher to UxStyle and so far no Black Flashing screens after doing 57 updates..DP :thumbup

Is UxStyle immune to the black screen/unbootable problems that some people say it has?

That's good news. Glad you have things working now.

Out of curiosity, do the 3rd party themes affect the scroll bar thumbs in IE10? In other words to they make them anything but flat, light gray rectangles?

-Noel

Is UxStyle immune to the black screen/unbootable problems that some people say it has?

No, it's not. The black screen is not realted to any kind of UX* patcher. It simply means that DWM failed to load theme specified in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT registry key (which can happen regardless the used patcher). I think it's wrong behaviour to restart itself infinitely instead of using some default hardcoded (or none) theme.

No, it's not. The black screen is not realted to any kind of UX* patcher. It simply means that DWM failed to load theme specified in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT registry key (which can happen regardless the used patcher). I think it's wrong behaviour to restart itself infinitely instead of using some default hardcoded (or none) theme.

Big Muscle, I am sure you would be the expert on that, but all I know is that now after installing all recommended updates I am having no more black screen issues using UxStyle that does not change any system .dll files but uses different method working off a digitally signed .exe file in the windows directory and services..DP :boring:

Edited by DosProbie

That's good news. Glad you have things working now.

Out of curiosity, do the 3rd party themes affect the scroll bar thumbs in IE10? In other words to they make them anything but flat, light gray rectangles?

-Noel

Nope, both IE scroll bars are the same but the vertcal (up and down) scroll bar in personalization is a major difference

with the Custom theme/s having much more defined bar with the horizional finger notches and the Windows default just being

a flat gray non-defined bar. DP :yes:Default_Vertical_Bar.jpg

Custom_Vertical_Bar.jpg

Edited by DosProbie

Big Muscle, I am sure you would be the expert on that, but all I know is that now after installing all recommended updates I am having no more black screen issues using UxStyle that does not change any system .dll files but uses different method working off a digitally signed .exe file in the windows directory and services..DP :boring:

Of course, it depends what is changed by the updates.

Yes, in-memory patches (such as UxStyle or my Aero Glass) are proof of small changes in ux files (uxtheme.dll, uxinit.dll, themeservice.dll etc.). If structure of their code is changed or compiler/optimizer does certain optimization then our tools can fail too.