Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Noel, Like i said in my post..

2) If you Install this update with Aero disabled = No Flashing Black screen

So you must have had Aero glass disabled to get the update to install..DP

Hmmm...interesting, same as Noel i installed it with AeroGlass enabled with no problem on my main machine. Did tests on two VMs with AeroGlass enabled and installed only KB2846071 on both, they restarted with no problems.

I did mine live on fresh reinstall, no VM.. just wonder if anyone else has had same issue as of yet..DP

Noel, Like i said in my post..

So you must have had Aero glass disabled to get the update to install..DP

Nope. I've had Aero Glass for Windows 8 installed, running, and up to date ever since somewhere well back in the alpha releases. Windows Updates have just worked. I can't recall having a time when I've had it off.

-Noel

I have just had a look if this update was installed on my live test machine and it's not there and I have installed all the windows updates that have been available through Windows Update, how are you guys getting your updates, I ask because I Googled that particular update http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=39544 and it says that it's meant to fix a security problem with IE8 on Windows XP SP3 which would explain why I don't have it installed on Windows 8.

Sorry just expanded my search a little and I found that the update was also for Vista and Windows 8 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39567, now I wonder why I didn't have that update though.

Edited by MrGRiM

Guys, I've got a problem.. Just bought a new notebook with W8 installed. I tried various methods to install Aero Glass, but none of them worked. I tried with the installer and with the batch tool, but even if they say everything went fine, after reboot, I have no glass windows (only taskbar). The same happens even if I try to enable/disable Glass through Aero Glass Tweaker. Any idea on how to solve the problem?

Guys, I've got a problem.. Just bought a new notebook with W8 installed. I tried various methods to install Aero Glass, but none of them worked. I tried with the installer and with the batch tool, but even if they say everything went fine, after reboot, I have no glass windows (only taskbar). The same happens even if I try to enable/disable Glass through Aero Glass Tweaker. Any idea on how to solve the problem?

Try disabling Secure Boot in your BIOS.

@ Noel & DosProbie

Might it be a graphics driver related issue? Using here GTX 570 with Forceware 320.49.

A graphics issue was my first thought but I am using a Intel HD 3000 and up til now never had a issue until I enabled updates..

Let me ask you guys this.

.1.) Are you using a custom patched theme with aero glass enable when doing your updates? or

2.) Do you use the default Windows Aero theme with aero glass enable when doing the Updates?

After more updated aero glass testing I got another update error, just manually downloaded and did additional 48 updates and installed one at a time with my custom theme active and aero glass running, all went well til I got to my last update "Windows 8-RT-KB2855336-x64.msu" which after installing and rebooting back to desktop turned off my aero glass and gave me this DWM incompatiable error message..DP :no:

KB2855336_DWM_Incompatiable.jpg

@ Noel & DosProbie

Might it be a graphics driver related issue? Using here GTX 570 with Forceware 320.49.

A graphics issue was my first thought but I am using a Intel HD 3000 and up til now never had a issue until I enabled updates..

.1.) Are you using a custom patched theme with aero glass enable when doing your updates? or

2.) Do you use the default Windows Aero theme with aero glass enable when doing the Updates?

Using UXStyle Patch here with Poison Theme by MrGRiM (can´t stand the default one longer than 10 secs), all is enabled even while running Win Updates.

Edited by s1ane77

@ Noel & DosProbie

Using UXStyle Patch here with Poison Theme by MrGRiM (can´t stand the default one longer than 10 secs), all is enabled even while running Win Updates.

do you have KB2855336-x64.msu installed?

@ Noel & DosProbie

do you have KB2855336-x64.msu installed?

Yep...i have it installed.

Well you guys that have KB2838727, KB2846071 and KB2855336 installed and your custom themes and aero glass working consider yourselves lucky, I now have completed over 12 hrs of tedious testing all the windows updates and have narrowed down my issues with only those 3 updates, They changed back my patched theme files to the original system .dll files causing my custom themes to no longer work and also disabled Aero Glass and connecting to the symbols site, So anyone else having similar issues I would check or do the following:
1.) Update your graphics card with latest drivers.
2.) Check the usual UEFI "Secure Boot" setting in bios and make sure it is "Disabled".
3.) Check if KB2838727, KB2846071 and KB2855336 are installed and if they are then "Uninstall" them.

Hope this help anyone else having similar issues..DP :yes:

Edited by DosProbie

I have never had a custom patched theme. Just the standard Windows Aero theme plus the glass effect and the replacement of the compositing resources via BigMuscle's registry entry.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I have never had a custom patched theme.

-Noel

That may be a smart move with $MS changing patched files now via Windows Updates..DP

Personally like the memory way of patching, as UXStyle does. Never faced any problem with Updates from the beginning. Only thing you have to arrange with is the slightly longer boottime. The latter disappeared when changing my system drive to SSD.

EDIT: @DP

Respect for your test marathon! :thumbup

Edited by s1ane77