Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

But there is no update which makes problems with Aero Glass. It's not fault of WU that your computer blocks connections to download public symbols to identify demanded functions in DWM libraries.

Fix found : I've runned the file Aero_Glass_RC4_v0.95 and it all works fine now.

Do you know if there is an installer for the RC5 ?

Edited by gontie

"But there is no update which makes problems with Aero Glass"

Ok, I have Never had the dreaded "Black Screen" issue with Aero Glass and I must admit I have been a skeptic of WU causing issues with Aero Glass like others have experienced, but I also have always had my updates disabled, so today I decided to run some tests, I enabled my updates and then Windows downloaded 32+ updates and then prompted me to reboot so it could install the new updates, when all updates were installed and Windows was attempting to reboot back to the desktop, Guess what I got the flashing "black screen" that would not allow me to get back to my desktop..Hmmmm what the heck is going on, So the only way out of this lock down was to do a Win8 reinstall, I am now thinking maybe there is something going on with Aero and WU, so I am doing some update tests and will report back when I get to the bottom of this..DP :}

bigmuscle, could you please provide a planned date (week, month) of the release? I've searched your site and msfn forum but can't find any info...

[...]

And of course you are implying that getting a signature will magically fix bigmuscle's app so that everyone will be able to run the app on their system with no more problems of any kind, and I doubt very seriously that that is the case. :)

Cheers and Regards

I'm not ;) But making it possible to run on more machines will give more informations to work on from different setups, eventually leading to better compatibility.

"But there is no update which makes problems with Aero Glass"

Ok, I have Never had the dreaded "Black Screen" issue with Aero Glass and I must admit I have been a skeptic of WU causing issues with Aero Glass like others have experienced, but I also have always had my updates disabled, so today I decided to run some tests, I enabled my updates and then Windows downloaded 32+ updates and then prompted me to reboot so it could install the new updates, when all updates were installed and Windows was attempting to reboot back to the desktop, Guess what I got the flashing "black screen" that would not allow me to get back to my desktop..Hmmmm what the heck is going on, So the only way out of this lock down was to do a Win8 reinstall, I am now thinking maybe there is something going on with Aero and WU, so I am doing some update tests and will report back when I get to the bottom of this..DP :}

Just wait 5-7 minutes when you meet black screen at boot and windows loads normal.

I just read a post on page 96 that said Bigmuscle never claimed to be charging a fee for this utility. I don't know if that is true or not BUT I will weigh in with an opinion. He has done some darn fine work here and DESERVES to be paid... I know there is a donate link on his http://glass8.berlios.de/ site which I plan to use just as soon as he goes to a release version... I hope others will too. This man has spent a lot of time and effort to make the world of WIN8 nicer for all of us... just one man's opinion

Edited by abeery

Been testing Updates for almost 3 hrs now and here is what i have found so far..

1) Installing KB2846071-x64.msu with Aero Glass enabled = "Flashing Black Screen"! :no:

2} If you Install this update with Aero disabled = No Flashing Black screen. :yes:

Lucky for me I set a system restore point this time and after black screen just booted into advance repair options and did system restore..Still have more updates to check but so far the Security update KB2846071 is definitely having a issue with Aero Glass! DP :}

Aero_Enabled.jpg

I just read a post on page 96 that said Bigmuscle never claimed to be charging a fee for this utility. I don't know if that is true or not BUT I will weigh in with an opinion. He has done some darn fine work here and DESERVES to be paid... I know there is a donate link on his http://glass8.berlios.de/ site which I plan to use just as soon as he goes to a release version... I hope others will too. This man has spent a lot of time and effort to make the world of WIN8 nicer for all of us... just one man's opinion

I was going to donate last week but he has it set in Eur and not USD.. :no:

Edited by DosProbie

Been testing Updates for almost 3 hrs now and here is what i have found so far..

1) Installing KB2846071-x64.msu with Aero Glass enabled = "Flashing Black Screen"! :no:

2} If you Install this update with Aero disabled = No Flashing Black screen. :yes:

Lucky for me I set a system restore point this time and after black screen just booted into advance repair options and did system restore..Still have more updates to check but so far the Security update KB2846071 is definitely having a issue with Aero Glass! DP :}

Aero_Enabled.jpg

That's weird. I hope BigMuscle has an explanation. So if this happens to me, will holding CTRL during startup make the flashing black screen go away?

I am making a restore point right now while it still works. Does it work if you reinstall glass after the update? How about if you leave it along and let it download the symbols?

I was going to donate last week but he has it set in Eur and not USD.. :no:
I would prefer to pay in USD as well but I still made a 10 Euro donation a while back and I don't even use Windows 8 other then for testing on the VM, I'm still very happy with my Windows 7 setup :)

Security update KB2846071 is definitely having a issue with Aero Glass!

I have KB2846071 installed and Aero Glass for Win8 is working fine here. I suggest getting the rest of the updates in. I'm fully up to date and everything works okay.

Win8Desktop0722.jpg

-Noel

I've already sent him money. Why wait for release?

I wouldn't blame him if he changes his tune and decides to charge for this software. It could well be the single biggest improvement to desktop usability that anyone's accomplished with Windows 8.

-Noel

Noel, Like i said in my post..

2) If you Install this update with Aero disabled = No Flashing Black screen

So you must have had Aero glass disabled to get the update to install..DP

Hmmm...interesting, same as Noel i installed it with AeroGlass enabled with no problem on my main machine. Did tests on two VMs with AeroGlass enabled and installed only KB2846071 on both, they restarted with no problems.