Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

This utility is not intended for any Windows Server, it is for Windows 8 RTM only. However, themecpl.dll and shell32.dll are not important part for glass, they are for customizing control panel only.

But it does, i am testing server 2012 (not R2) since the start and i am using aero glass since about one month.

Funny to see by the way a server edition with aero :)

Interesting, so it is just side effect that 2012 server has the same DWM as Win8 RTM has :-) However, if anyone is interested to make this work on R2 too, he can provide dwmcore.dll and udwm.dll and I can see what could be done with that :-)

This utility is not intended for any Windows Server, it is for Windows 8 RTM only. However, themecpl.dll and shell32.dll are not important part for glass, they are for customizing control panel only.

But it does, i am testing server 2012 (not R2) since the start and i am using aero glass since about one month.

Funny to see by the way a server edition with aero :)

Interesting, so it is just side effect that 2012 server has the same DWM as Win8 RTM has :-) However, if anyone is interested to make this work on R2 too, he can provide dwmcore.dll and udwm.dll and I can see what could be done with that :-)

It would be great if I managed to get my Intel network card to work witn server 2012 R2. I'm fighting with it since yesterday, lol. I can provide the DLLs, though.

WinServ2012R2DWMDLL.zip

I tried Glass with Windows 8.1, did not work. :( . I think the reason why is that High Contrast trick no longer works. It loads for a quarter second, but it reverts back to normal. But, using Aero8Tuner does get the unstable transparency working, with the text non transparent (the Glow glitch).

Edited by WindowsOS

I tried Glass with Windows 8.1, did not work. :( . I think the reason why is that High Contrast trick no longer works. It loads for a quarter second, but it reverts back to normal. But, using Aero8Tuner does get the unstable transparency working, with the text non transparent (the Glow glitch).

That high contrast thing is entirely different, which was just actually a bug.

bigmuscles utility (as it stands) will not work on 8.1 at all, and has nothing to do with the high contrast. It is because unlike in Win8, 8.1 actually stripped out all references to the glass code. The blurring and utility functions to make it function are nonexistent.

Actually, I quickly checked the code and it won't be so hard to make the glass working on Win8.1. The only big change (which influences my work) is complete migration of desktop rendering from DX10.1 to DX11 thus I need to rewrite my blur algorithm to Direct3D 11 API (which is very similar to 10.1). The biggest problem I see is the non-existence of glass safety zones which is the thing responsible for extending occluded regions by blur radius. It will make glitches (known from earlier versions of my utility) on the edges of the clip regions without glass safety zone.

The only big change (which influences my work) is complete migration of desktop rendering from DX10.1 to DX11

This mean that 8.1 work only on videocards with DX 11 support? It is MS requirement for 8.1?

Actually, I quickly checked the code and it won't be so hard to make the glass working on Win8.1. The only big change (which influences my work) is complete migration of desktop rendering from DX10.1 to DX11 thus I need to rewrite my blur algorithm to Direct3D 11 API (which is very similar to 10.1). The biggest problem I see is the non-existence of glass safety zones which is the thing responsible for extending occluded regions by blur radius. It will make glitches (known from earlier versions of my utility) on the edges of the clip regions without glass safety zone.

Please let us know if there's anything specific you need. I have the Win8.1 x64 preview running, and can provide info/files/whatever privately.

Surprisingly, most every config tweak and 3rd party software package that works with Windows 8 (.0) seems to work okay with Windows 8.1, though there are occasional weirdnesses (for example, for some reason an auto-hidden Taskbar doesn't pull open if you put the cursor about where the ClassicShell Start button will appear). It seems Microsoft has conceded a few points - they've already configured several good things right out of the box that I advise people to configure.

But, who really thinks removing Windows Backup entirely was a good idea? It was encouraging to see them continue to offer it in Windows 8, and I might have expected a complete replacement by version 9, but removing it entirely in Windows 8.1? Ridiculous! I still need to be sure they haven't hidden it somewhere else.

I'm concerned about this "glass safety zones" thing you mention. Sounds like just more side effects from Microsoft migrating away from Aero Glass capability entirely, which spells long-term doom for just the kinds of things you're trying to do. Microsoft doesn't seem to have any smart folks working there any more, just mindless coders who follow the orders of drunken executives. :(

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Does this migration to DX11 mean that only cards capable of DX11 will be able to render blur on win8.1?

That is also a question i have (i know it is early to ask such question ;)

Because, all my old laptops which are on windows 8 does certainely not have DX11.

Edited by gontie

Sorry for my newbie question and my English.

DWMHook only works on x32 systems for me. The line "AppInit_DLLs"="C:\AeroGlass\\DWMGlass.dll" from file LoadGlass__AppInit_DLLs.reg has been fixed for the next "AppInit_DLLs"="C:\\Portable\\MyDWM\\DWMGlass.dll" but it still does not work. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it? System files have been patched by UltraUX Theme Patcher.

Thanks!

Edited by energy

Does this migration to DX11 mean that only cards capable of DX11 will be able to render blur on win8.1?

Nope, DX11 supports feature levels that ensure backward compatibility. And actually it is Direct2D (which is only user friendly API above D3D 11) used for desktop rendering in Win8.1. Win8 uses this API for Start screen/Store apps only.

[Please let us know if there's anything specific you need.

Thanks, however I will not care about the preview version now. I need to finish final release for Win8 first.

amen to that - looking forward to it :D