Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Is it possible to check which process this dialog belongs to?

I would think it belongs to the themecpl.dll as that's where the save dialog is.

vspc0l.jpg

Edit: found it, it's in the themeui.dll.mui, string line 3 122 Windows can't find one of the files in this theme. Do you still want to save the theme?

Edited by MrGRiM

Is it possible to check which process this dialog belongs to?

I would think it belongs to the themecpl.dll as that's where the save dialog is.

vspc0l.jpg

Your personalization window isn't blurring!

Your personalization window isn't blurring!

No I was on Windows 7 having a look with Resource Spy, I have blur disabled on there, it's OK though I went on Windows 8 after that and found where it is C:\Windows\System32\en-US\themeui.dll.mui

Edited by MrGRiM

Interest thing for those who encauntered black screen at boot: don't reboot the system (i just havn't reboot button at my system block) - when you reboot, black screen appears again. I found new method: power off system at least for 1 minute, than power on and system boots without black screen... I don't know why it is... but i think that videocard (her memory) is contain usefull data for future use (just remember something (it just my thought))

P.S. Sorry for my english...

I'm getting this a couple times a day:

i4jqeQx.png

I'm not even sure where this message box comes from. When does it appear? Only when changing theme, or randomly during a day?

Randomly during the day. I could be wrong but it seems when the computer has been idle for a bit is when it happens.

The "Windows can't find one of the files in this theme" message is from the fact that ver RC3 stops windows from loading screensavers. If you have a screensaver selected in your unsaved theme and then enable RC3, then Windows won't be able to find it and start displaying this message. Two things to do: Either unload RC3, select 'No screensaver' then reload RC3, or go back to RC2 (which I did) and keep your screensaver.

I can't think why this might happen, but this is what I have found so far.

The "Windows can't find one of the files in this theme" message is from the fact that ver RC3 stops windows from loading screensavers. If you have a screensaver selected in your unsaved theme and then enable RC3, then Windows won't be able to find it and start displaying this message. Two things to do: Either unload RC3, select 'No screensaver' then reload RC3, or go back to RC2 (which I did) and keep your screensaver.

Replicated, none of my screensavers are available either

Yeah, I tried analyzed the source and there seems to be no other reason for this. My guess was that some file specified in *.theme file is missing but I was not able to reproduce it. But the thing with the screen saver is the good explanation.

And as someone already mentioned here, the theming thing and any other feature added in RCx versions will be made as optional and disabled by default in 1.0. Just because the current branch is feature-complete and I don't want any new feature to break anything.

And one more thing on my mind. Maybe someone has the same experience - in the last month I had to reinstall my Win8 twice just due to the black screen on startup and CTRL key didn't help (and neither system restore helped). But the important thing is that Aero Glass was not active at this time at all, so it seems that some Windows update was the cause.

And one more thing on my mind. Maybe someone has the same experience - in the last month I had to reinstall my Win8 twice just due to the black screen on startup and CTRL key didn't help (and neither system restore helped). But the important thing is that Aero Glass was not active at this time at all, so it seems that some Windows update was the cause.

I don't think it's as simple as a Windows Update causing a problem. I've been keeping Windows 8 up to date and have had zero black screens.

Outside of your Aero Glass for Win8 testing I've been doing no other theme-related tweaking. I don't think your product in development is causing it.

If System Restore does not help, you may have an intermittent hardware problem. Do you have high reliability components? ECC RAM?

As far as others getting into trouble, given all the unofficial installers / control panels piggybacking on your work, I'm not surprised at all. It's just been too chaotic. I tried AGTweaker at the beginning, but never again after realizing I didn't want to add complexity - and haven't had a lick of trouble. You chose to do the real work first, then add the fluff (user-installer / configurator / etc.) later, when if you had made a complete turnkey UI up front you'd probably have maintained much better control of what beta users test.

If you haven't done so, to make recovery during bootup easier to get to, may I suggest configuring the Windows Boot Manager to show every time you boot up for a few seconds...

Type this command in an elevated CMD window:

BCDEDIT /set {bootmgr] displaybootmenu yes

BCDEDIT /timeout 3

Also, if you're doing a lot of system work I would definitely suggest turning off "Fast Startup", as it can leave your file system in a dirty state at a hybrid shutdown.

You probably already knew these things.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

in the last month I had to reinstall my Win8 twice just due to the black screen on startup

One other thing... Do you carefully manage the software you have starting with Windows and when you log in?

The freeware program Autoruns is invaluable for this.

It seems EVERYTHING nowadays wants to install half a dozen "handy things" to start and run in the background, even though they're virtually all unneeded. I have the grand majority of things that normally would be set to start up disabled (e.g., via the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys).

-Noel

ok, this explains why I don't get this message. Nice find :thumbup

Question re Title Bar background glow

Certain windows do not add the background glow to title bar text. These include File Explorer and Wordpad. Apparently Microsoft is not using the standard APIs to display the title text there.

Which, if any, of the alternate themes give a background glow behind the text in the Title Bar of File Explorer and Wordpad windows?

It's a problem when the background is dark or the user chooses a dark or very transparent setting for the window borders.

Dark background:

DarkBackground.png

Lighter background:

LightBackground.png

BigMuscle, at one time you mentioned Windows compositing a different resource for those windows... Did you ever work out how to work around this?

So far, this is the only shortcoming I see to using the Aero Glass for Win8 product with just the stock Windows 8 Aero Glass theme implementation and replaced graphical resources.

-Noel