Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

OK on a different note and hopefully something Useful .. I Was looking for a Easy way to toggle DWM Aero Glass On and Off quickly so I wrote this little batch file, just run it from your desktop when you need a quick way to disable aero (like playing games, for all the whinners with the popups etc.) and when done you can just rerun to turn aero back on again, It Works off *DWM directory in C drive but you can always revise the path as needed..

Enjoy DPyes.gifToggle Aero

*Requires DimasKid's Aero Glass installer @ http://j.gs/706437/aeroglasswin8

Sir I installed aero glass installer could not able to get aero effect though. I tried OP's links earlier. I do not know much about how to apply it. But I have been trying to make it for a couple hours. I watched videos, searched web. Still could not figured it out. What should I do ? I want it so bad :))) I can give my teamviewer id and pass as well

You can give my installer a go if you like, it will install it to the correct directory and install all the necessary registry entries as well as give you options to enable or disable the new experimental features (deleted)

Edited by MrGRiM

BTW, which all video cards are supported for shader render optimization, discrete or integrated?

It is hard to tell. On some video drivers, DWM creates render target which can be used directly as input to the pixel shader. I would guess that it is connected with D3D feature level, because it does not happen on DX9.x level (e.g. VMWare etc.)

ok but there is nothing complicated about the setup.exe you just hit next. sorry for inconvenient. I just want it so bad. When will be the final version release date then?

As I said many times, this application is currently intended for advanced users only and it does not come with any setup.exe. If you use any, then you can't even know what it really modifies on your system - and advanced users should know what is really modified.

Btw, just discovered tomorrow that the folder with DWMGlass.dll must have certain privileges to load this library to DWM correctly. I cannot say exactly now but it seems that folder requires to have read (and maybe even write) access rights for "Users" and "Authenticated users" groups.

OK on a different note and hopefully something Useful .. I Was looking for a Easy way to toggle DWM Aero Glass On and Off quickly so I wrote this little batch file, just run it from your desktop when you need a quick way to disable aero (like playing games, for all the whinners with the popups etc.) and when done you can just rerun to turn aero back on again, It Works off *DWM directory in C drive but you can always revise the path as needed..

Enjoy DPyes.gifToggle Aero

*Requires DimasKid's Aero Glass installer @ http://j.gs/706437/aeroglasswin8

Sir I installed aero glass installer could not able to get aero effect though. I tried OP's links earlier. I do not know much about how to apply it. But I have been trying to make it for a couple hours. I watched videos, searched web. Still could not figured it out. What should I do ? I want it so bad :))) I can give my teamviewer id and pass as well

You can give my installer a go if you like, it will install it to the correct directory and install all the necessary registry entries as well as give you options to enable or disable the new experimental features http://www.mediafire.com/download/8c782cl549c3rjz/Aero_Glass_RC3_v0.94.exe

ok I ended up with black screen. I reset but there is still black screen. Frankly I was afraid. I used shift+ F8 menu to bring back. Thats enough for me :) Thank you anyway sir :)

BTW, which all video cards are supported for shader render optimization, discrete or integrated?

It is hard to tell. On some video drivers, DWM creates render target which can be used directly as input to the pixel shader. I would guess that it is connected with D3D feature level, because it does not happen on DX9.x level (e.g. VMWare etc.)

ok but there is nothing complicated about the setup.exe you just hit next. sorry for inconvenient. I just want it so bad. When will be the final version release date then?

As I said many times, this application is currently intended for advanced users only and it does not come with any setup.exe. If you use any, then you can't even know what it really modifies on your system - and advanced users should know what is really modified.

Btw, just discovered tomorrow that the folder with DWMGlass.dll must have certain privileges to load this library to DWM correctly. I cannot say exactly now but it seems that folder requires to have read (and maybe even write) access rights for "Users" and "Authenticated users" groups.

I should have listened you sir. I try not to mess with it again. :)

Edited by stevefrancisnyk

thanks for the new version :thumbup

The glitches with TGit are gone for 99%. I only see a small glitch after opening it.

The scroll issue with WinDbg is also gone :)

But I have a new glitch with XML Explorer: http://xmlexplorer.codeplex.com/ When I open a XML I see nothing. I have to minimize and restore the XML explorer.

And I think the new version casues a bit more CPU usage compared to the older version.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

ok I ended up with black screen. I reset but there is still black screen. Frankly I was afraid. I used shift+ F8 menu to bring back. Thats enough for me :) Thank you anyway sir :)

Sorry mate, maybe I should not try to help in future, the installer had options for x86 or x64, maybe you selected the wrong one, who knows, just wait for the final version.

thanks for the new version :thumbup

The glitches with TGit are gone for 99%. I only see a small glitch after opening it.

The scroll issue with WinDbg is also gone :)

But I have a new glitch with XML Explorer: http://xmlexplorer.codeplex.com/ When I open a XML I see nothing. I have to minimize and restore the XML explorer.

And I think the new version casues a bit more CPU usage compared to the older version.

This is interesting. Did you enable shader optimization? Because there is no other change in blur algorithm except "if(shaderOptimizationEnabled) { ... }", so I don't see any reason why your issues are fixed and new comes. I also tried TGit (if you mean TortoiseGIT) and don't see any glitches even in older versions.

About the higher CPU usage...Could that be because of symbols downloading? I think it is possible that it can eat some CPU time until all symbols are downloaded. But then it should return to normal.

Yes, I activated the shaderOptimization.

Look at the title of the TortoiseGit Window when updating (pull) or getting the changelog. Here I see flickering in the old version.

Can I get the symcache file to trace the cpu usage with xperf?

Edited by MagicAndre1981

So I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out why my Screensaver list in Personalization only says (none) so for the hell of it, I disabled Aero Glass and the screensavers all came back. Re-enabled Aero Glass and they disappeared. The screensaver I have set still comes on, but I was unable to change it.

Might be something to look into. I'm using RC3. Maybe some others who are using this one can also check that out.

Because there is no other change in blur algorithm except "if(shaderOptimizationEnabled) { ... }"...

That's interesting... Why should the blur quality have changed for the better I wonder. Consider the differences in the blur quality in these screen grabs, as noted by the arrows.

BlurQualityImprovement.png

I'm not complaining, mind you - it's better now than it was.

-Noel

Question:

Why is the software involved with the crypto interface?

Example, from the log:

>[0xB70] Delayed hook (CRYPTSP.dll!CryptVerifySignatureW from uxtheme.dll) installed

>[0xB70] Hook (api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll!ReadFile from uxtheme.dll) installed

-Noel