Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Been testing it on my main machine via win8-to-go, works fine for about 4 hours now. Did you change the frequency of the popup? It only seems to be popping up once after boot and that's all. (edit: the moment I posted, another one popped up lol)

Running Snowy v3 here, personally like the theme a lot (except for the red X button).

Here are my logs.

I restarted a lot for the first few hours, updating etc.

My display driver died once, too, happens with my card on both win7 and win8, so shouldn't be your program's fault.

Edited by Soukyuu

thanks for that - after an evening of playing i now understand a little more - altering the png via photoshop is reasonably easy but the graphic you show is not the one the scheme i am using uses - its completely different - thats what i am trying to understand - the one you show and i assume the registry link is for the aero theme [i think] - a custom theme seems to work differently - there is no knowledge in that statement - simply it does not work

the custom theme i am using - Snowy 3 - has some other modified graphics and text colours that are not in the aero theme - thats the learning curve as i want to keep them - so need to be able to add them to the aero theme - again with no knowledge i dont know what will happen when i do that - i know how to do it with style builder but if that will then work i have not yet tried

al that may be simple so some - to me its new ground

this is the png from snowy

post-373433-0-85816300-1369950162_thumb.

Edited by adacom

NoelC: Ok here it actually is, your updated theme where I added transparencies as I like them to the control buttons:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4vfij4roojxgud/AlternateTransp2.png

AeroGlassForWin8Desktop.png

-Noel

Your inactive window colours are very nice. What do you do to get them? I have been unable to change the inactive window colours. What am I doing wrong? :3 here are my Reg Settings. Everything else works perfectly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu6hadbzoxb7cx5/Capture11.PNG

I dont think I was the only person unable to get the inactive to change. Someone else with an nVidia card was also unable.

Ooh and here are my log files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/73idsbxj5ho2tdw/debug30-May-2013.log

Edited by drakenabarion

Your inactive window colours are very nice. What do you do to get them? I have been unable to change the inactive window colours. What am I doing wrong? :3 here are my Reg Settings. Everything else works perfectly.

Nothin' special I don't think...

ColorAndAppearance.png

Regedit.png

-Noel

So I have found the problem and I must say that it is unfixable. That sidebar uses layered window under Win8 (not under Win7) to render transparency and I noticed there is a bug in glass algorithm which causes those glitches on layered windows. Some time ago, I noticed that same bug exists on native blur implementation in Win8 RP and what's worse, I just checked and the same problem appears on Windows 7 too...

Not to worry mate, as long as this problem doesn't cause problems else where more important, that sidebar has options to turn off the aero glass effect anyway, so if anyone wants to use it they still can, I think by the looks of it MS was having problems using aero in Windows 8, probably the real reason they dropped it, probably ran out of time and rather then delaying the release to work them out, they went for the easy alternative to disable it instead.

I dont think I was the only person unable to get the inactive to change. Someone else with an nVidia card was also unable.

If you set inactive colortization settings properly then the color will change properly. The color cannot be changed by simple running AGTweaker - you will get only unexpected results in this case, because it does not set all ColorizationXXXInactive values properly.

I think your on to Something MrGRim..MS just didn't want to spend the time nor the money to keep a feature that everyone liked but took the easy way and push it out to soon for the end of the year Christmas market..

Not to worry mate, as long as this problem doesn't cause problems else where more important, that sidebar has options to turn off the aero glass effect anyway, so if anyone wants to use it they still can, I think by the looks of it MS was having problems using aero in Windows 8, probably the real reason they dropped it, probably ran out of time and rather then delaying the release to work them out, they went for the easy alternative to disable it instead.

I'll wait until the final release version ready, and pack it back.

and i also waiting for the newest version of AGTweaker, and The Custom Resource Themes to be intergrated with the final release version of Aero Glass for Windows 8.

thank's for all people that want to work, that make this "little project" (that was the BigMuscle said #peace ._.v) more better and great :D

BigMuscle, you now have a page in my book. Of course I will update it upon your release of the product.

Congratulations, I hope it drives a lot of business to you.

CW8TW_AGFW8.png

-Noel

If you set inactive colortization settings properly then the color will change properly. The color cannot be changed by simple running AGTweaker - you will get only unexpected results in this case, because it does not set all ColorizationXXXInactive values properly.

Thanks for the tip. I avoided using AGTweaker, but I guess I must have used it at one point. I guess what I am looking for is to set the inactive colour to something much closer than the active colour. Perhaps, that is not possible on the default Windows 8 theme. (Setting active grey changed inactive colour to white, so I guess that is why I though that I was getting no colour).

I was able to create a theme resource which is based on the Custom Resource for the Default theme included with AGTweaker. It's the same but with buttons from the Consumer Preview. Note: This is just a quickly made proof of concept. Some of the buttons are not aligned correctly. Please either finish it and release it for the RP theme, or port the original or Win 7 version of the CP theme to Win 8. Included are the 2 original AGTweaker resources, my modified one, and the resource direct from the Aero CP theme. Edit: Swiched to DropBox so I have more freedom. https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2nhxb402sifgwx/Aero%20CP%20Port.zip

Edited by WindowsOS