Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Personally I have a suspicion that Microsoft is going to have done some things to Windows 8.1 that may break BigMuscle's approach, at least for a while, but we can hope it will be something that can be worked around.

I wanted to check the changes in Win8.1 DWM but the debug symbols are not available for build 9385 so it is very hard to see anything.

As you said in the release log, that there won't be any crash log, instead a minidump, will this require any internet connection to download the appropriate files from MS servers (as you said a couple of days back)...?

Nope, minidump does not need any files from MS servers and they don't even need any PDB files. It is a footprint of DWM process memory, so I can analyze it on my own PC more deeply than simple exception callstack in text file provides. The only disadvantage is the size of minidump file which is over 100 MBytes.

OK. Still it can be compressed using 7z or similar formats.

EDIT: Everything looks better in Aero

aero_firefox.jpg

Edited by Rayn19

@bigmuscle: This is a very interesting project!

I've been playing around with system DLL hooks for quite some time to do some nice things (... ;-) ) so I can assume that your hack required a lot of work! Thank you for that!

I've always been a great fan of the gray "Windows 2000"-style classic Windows theme. Actually, that's the reason why I stick to Windows 7.

Would it be possible to get this classic theme on Windows 8 with your DWM hooks?

I'm quite familiar with C++ and Win32 API, so I can offer you my help for that.

I wanted to check the changes in Win8.1 DWM but the debug symbols are not available for build 9385 so it is very hard to see anything.

wait 1 month when the preview is released at BUILD.

Btw, the flickering in Firefox when scrolling comes from other windows which are behind firefox.

@bigmuscle: This is a very interesting project!

I've been playing around with system DLL hooks for quite some time to do some nice things (... ;-) ) so I can assume that your hack required a lot of work! Thank you for that!

I've always been a great fan of the gray "Windows 2000"-style classic Windows theme. Actually, that's the reason why I stick to Windows 7.

Would it be possible to get this classic theme on Windows 8 with your DWM hooks?

I'm quite familiar with C++ and Win32 API, so I can offer you my help for that.

If you like the classic theme you might like this

http://xxinightxx.deviantart.com/art/WindowsClassic-Win8-Vs-Preview-372496917

It's not released yet though.

Edited by Blackbird256

Hi, just to give some feedback on RC1 - all working so far! :) Well done. Not found any problems and both transparency and blur working nicely, and working on both monitors! Well done.

(Bog standard install, no custom themes, no swatches edit, nvidia graphics card with latest drivers).

Can't change the inactive color, after the dwm process is restarted the color is updated but if you move the windows, the inactive color returns to default color.

Edited by Tusticles

This is fantastic, the last version does work for me.

I did the installation with the executable and then changed the path into the registry since it was still pointing to the old location.

I changed color intensity and there it is, i got aero on Windows 8.

This is fantastic :)

Great work and good continuation.

By the way it is running on a very slow computer (CPU : A2-1800) and it doesn't seems to affect the CPU.

Forgive my stupidity, but how i make this work?

I downloaded the installer and i installed it...

What else i have to do?Is there a "how to" somewhere?

Thanks for your work bigmuscle and everyone else who might helped with this..

Ok i made it work with some search here...

In the final version a how to would be awesome i guess cuz there are many dumbheads like me out there.. :P

Perfect job the default style seems so pretty with aero!

I like more this style than the windows 7 one..

Edited by zampONakiaskiou

Hi all.

Is this making anyone elses screen go completely black?

0.8 worked fine, but 0.9.x versions make my screen go completely black for at least 5 to 10 minutes....

My vid card is an nvidia 8400GS.

My board is a UEFI board, but dont think secure boot is an issue as v0.8 worked ok previously, and havent changed anything in BIOS since.

Is there any other info I can post to help troubleshoot this issue.

Thx

Edited by theKramer

With what RC versiion will the every 1 hour beta popup finally be removed? It makes full screen gaming literally impossible. Release candidates generally means the software is no longer beta anyway so I really don't see the point..............................................................

Ok, today I noticed that Explorer restarted a few times. (Taskbar and Windows Explorer stopped responding, desktop image and taskbar disappeared briefly and reappeared).

There is no crash.log or minidump, so I do not have any debuging logs to share. I guess I cannot be surethat it has anything to do with AeroGlass - it might be unrelated. But, I think it might be worth mentioning. *shrug* :D

Oh, also. I cannot modify the inactive window colours. They keep resetting.

Other than that, its working great. I have not seen one Artefact in days.

Forgive my stupidity, but how i make this work?

I downloaded the installer and i installed it...

What else i have to do?Is there a "how to" somewhere?

Thanks for your work bigmuscle and everyone else who might helped with this..

Ok i made it work with some search here...

In the final version a how to would be awesome i guess cuz there are many dumbheads like me out there.. :P

Perfect job the default style seems so pretty with aero!

I like more this style than the windows 7 one..

Sorry, may be there is some problem with the installer version, but you can activate it by changging the Registry Value of AppInit's DLL, to the installation directory :)