Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Minidump is not important now, it will always look same - stuck in nVidia driver after DWM failed wth ERR_NO_HARDWARE error. Just post debug.log if you use "x64_HookFlag" version.

Minidump is not important now, it will always look same - stuck in nVidia driver after DWM failed wth ERR_NO_HARDWARE error. Just post debug.log if you use "x64_HookFlag" version.

Ok, here they are. I did not delete logs between the versions I tried today, but I am using "x64_HookFlag" now, so the later entries will refer to that.

Crash: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xa7o69jr5no4s7t/crash%2012-May-2013.log

Debug: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wd5smji2rghi824/debug%2012-May-2013.log

Threads: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jw2eq1klukd2wy/threads%2012-May-2013.log

I will start deleting the log files after updating in future (after saving them else where in an archive folder).

It's percentage, so 0 - 100 is valid range, but it will take also a bit of ColorizationAfterglowBalance.

When changing Color intensity in personalize menu these registry values are changed.

ColorizationAfterglow

ColorizationAfterglowBalance

ColorizationBlurBalance

ColorizationColor

Because it also modifies the color to look better on selected opacity level.

In the latest version that generates a minidump, callBlurShapes=0x1 seems to allow things to work again, and so far I do not see the presence of artifacts, and it is currently performing well. I reloaded DWM so I think I might have to restart explorer for the taskbar to colourise properly. I will keep running and report any additional problems later.

calBlurShapes is just a temporary solution because it does not generate glass region properly and can break with any Windows Updates. I will remove it when I am able to fix the issue. I will post another version to test when I manage to log Direct3D pipeline errors.

A few reports:

- RC0 works fine on Intel HD 4000, only bug noticed is that inactive color window isn't adjustable, there's no color indeed, even if transparency and blur are working.

- On Geforce 9600M GT, after some minutes of good behaviour since installation, screen becomes black (but DWM doesn't restart, I think, beacuse when DWM restarts, screen completely turns off for a moment) an even restarting PC doesn't change anything (also pushing Power button doesn't shut down the machine) ... maybe this happens beacuse I'm using latest Desktop drivers on a notebook card, I'll check...

Edited by niun

calBlurShapes is just a temporary solution because it does not generate glass region properly and can break with any Windows Updates. I will remove it when I am able to fix the issue. I will post another version to test when I manage to log Direct3D pipeline errors.

Ah, I understand. Does running with callBlurShapes give any useful information then? Or are there other things I ought to test out at this point?

Nope, callBlurShapes does not provide much useful information. The only thing which can be tested with it is DWM compatibility + colorization settings.

Btw, I found a bug which happens when window is moved outside the bottom screen boundary. Could that be what you were reporting as "black screen when I touch the taskbar" (so it is not touching the taskbar but moving the part of window below the taskbar) ???

Nope, callBlurShapes does not provide much useful information. The only thing which can be tested with it is DWM compatibility + colorization settings.

Btw, I found a bug which happens when window is moved outside the bottom screen boundary. Could that be what you were reporting as "black screen when I touch the taskbar" (so it is not touching the taskbar but moving the part of window below the taskbar) ???

Hmm, I will check again. Could it be an overlap with the taskbar that causes this? I have my taskbar set to autohide, and some of my windows explorer windows are covered when I move to the bottom of the screen to activate the taskbar. I will check in a moment, but that sounds like it could be at least part of the issue.

It's not overlap but when window bottom edge has Y coordinate higher than screen_height - 7 (which is actually applied to taskbar too), then D3D debug mode shouts than I am out of range. This could be driver-dependent that some driver ignores it, but some driver fails completely resulting in black screen.

Edited by bigmuscle

Was native blur removed in this version? It doesn't seem to have the speed or artifacts associated with the one in 0.8-0.90.

Yes, there is no native blur now. Why? I said it million-times that this mode is not supposed to be used at all and that all versions are intended for testing only. So what is the purpose of your testing when you disable the code to test?

Good. I didn't like people whining about it all the time either. Performance is fine now regardless.

My only problem is that the GPU does not ramp up in "balanced" or "power saving" mode (and the respective Intel graphics settings associated with these default power profiles), leading to single-digit framerates when moving some windows. This is probably because the HD 3000 in "power save" is too weak, especially when pushing FHD resolution. In Windows 7, a combination of the native dwm blurring and smart GPU ramping led to butter-smooth motion all the time. I personally run my laptop in maximum performance when plugged in and glass off when on battery anyway (the same as on Windows 7), so this is a non-issue to me.

Windows dragged over Internet Explorer

bugdwm.png

I had that exact problem in 0.9. But RC0 fixed that problem on my machine.

Man, it was annoying.

Edited by AlexKven

Windows dragged over Internet Explorer

bugdwm.png

I had that exact problem in 0.9. But RC0 fixed that problem on my machine.

Man, it was annoying.

On about:Tabs it is normal :unsure:

Edited by Tusticles

You seem to have a lot of problems on your system Tusticles.

Haven't seen any issues with overlapping IE windows myself, so keep the faith - it's possible for it to work right.

IEOverlap.png

What video card and driver version do you have? Have you checked for updates to that (e.g., from AMD.com or nVidia.com)?

-Noel

You seem to have a lot of problems on your system Tusticles.

Haven't seen any issues with overlapping IE windows myself, so keep the faith - it's possible for it to work right.

IEOverlap.png

What video card and driver version do you have? Have you checked for updates to that (e.g., from AMD.com or nVidia.com)?

-Noel

We are not using the same DWMGlass, I suppose you have RC0, I have the version released after RC0 (RC0 crashfix) with 'callBlurShapes' value in registry...

My GPU is NVIDIA GTX 670M and drivers 314.22

Edited by Tusticles

We are not using the same DWMGlass, I suppose you have RC0, I have the version released after RC0 (RC0 crashfix) with 'callBlurShapes' value in registry...

True, I have the main RC0 version. Sorry if I ended up confusing things.

-Noel