Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

RC? Release Candidate? Awesome! Almost there!! Can't wait to see the final product. Even the v0.9 Beta 3 version that I'm using right now is really, really stable with a few hiccups here and there, but overall amazing! Exactly what I was looking for

AERO GLASS for Win8 RC0

What's new?

* correctly adjust colorization settings to generate glass safety zone

--> this should remove most of artifacts caused by not reducing occlusion rectangles by blur radius

Excellent! I no longer see any artifacts, which frankly weren't bad to begin with.

Well done, BigMuscle. If you'd like to package the .png file I developed for use with your tool, which increases drop shadows and adds a faux rounded look, please feel free.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Tried it in VMWare, but it doesn't work at all. Tried several DeviceFeatureLevel values and no dice.

[0x358] Hook (RegQueryValueExW) installed
[0x358] Hook (CreateWindowExW) installed
[0x358] Delayed hook (D3D11CreateDevice) installed
[0x358] Hook (CreateRoundRectRgn) installed
[0x358] DWM1 failed (0).
[0x358] DWM2 failed (0).
[0x358] DWM3 hooked successfuly
[0x358] DWM4 hooked successfuly
[0x358] DWM5 hooked successfuly
[0x358] DWM6 hooked successfuly

Edited by Blackbird256

Tried it in VMWare, but it doesn't work at all. Tried several DeviceFeatureLevel values and no dice.

I'm using it in a VMware virtual machine quite successfully.

Have you tried adjusting the various settings in the Personalization control panel?

-Noel

AGforWin8.jpg

Of course. I tried messing with color intensity and the like, but everything is still opaque even the taskbar. Maybe it is because the W8 is completely unupdated, but I can't update it.

Edited by Blackbird256

Maybe it is because the W8 is completely unupdated, but I can't update it.

That could well be true; BigMuscle's software does require certain things to be in certain places and of specific versions.

If you read the prior 20 or 30 pages of this thread you'll see what versions of what DLLs he's looking for. You could check yours.

I don't know what the deal is with your copy of Windows 8, but you can download a free evaluation version of Windows 8 Enterprise from Microsoft that activates and is fully functional for 90 days, and can be rearmed once via "slmgr -rearm" for another 90 days. This means that for virtual machine usage you could save a snapshot that's fully configured before the first 90 days is up, then just restore that snapshot and rearm it for each subsequent 3 month period. Not as convenient as never having to do it, but it doesn't cost anything, and you CAN update it freely.

-Noel

[0x358] Hook (RegQueryValueExW) installed
[0x358] Hook (CreateWindowExW) installed
[0x358] Delayed hook (D3D11CreateDevice) installed
[0x358] Hook (CreateRoundRectRgn) installed
[0x358] DWM1 failed (0).
[0x358] DWM2 failed (0).
[0x358] DWM3 hooked successfuly
[0x358] DWM4 hooked successfuly
[0x358] DWM5 hooked successfuly
[0x358] DWM6 hooked successfuly

This can happen for one certain reason.... but, rather send me you c:\windows\system32\udwm.dll (via PM) so I can check the exact reason :whistle:

I ran Windows Update and it actually worked right now rather than getting stuck at 0% and glass works now. I'll try to revert to earlier snapshot to find the DLL though ;)

It doesn't even need DFL anymore. Nice!

Edited by Blackbird256

Congrats BigMuscle. At least for me, you made it to Aero Perfection!!! Could I suggest adding a "Enable/Disable Transparency" checkbox so that we don't have to disable the dll to disable glass?

Edited by WindowsOS

I ran Windows Update and it actually worked right now rather than getting stuck at 0% and glass works now. I'll try to revert to earlier snapshot to find the DLL though ;)

It doesn't even need DFL anymore. Nice!

Your udwm.dll is compatible, it is even absolutely same as mine, so unless there is a bug (which would appear for other users too), then the real reason is ... hmm, weird :o

Could I suggest adding a "Enable/Disable Transparency" checkbox so that we don't have to disable the dll to disable glass?

Yeah, I want to do this (+ add some automatization such disabling when on battery etc.). My algorithm is prepared for it, so it is just about adding checkbox somewhere into GUI. Currently, it can be done by setting ColorizationBlurBalance and ColroizationAfterglowBalance to 0x0 and restarting DWM (but I don't remember if it is the only needed change.)

Edited by bigmuscle