Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

...the artifacts still happen, but are lighter in colour.

What is your GPU and your graphics driver version? Have you tried upgrading to the latest drivers?

Explorer and Wordpad still do not put a light blur behind window titles, though most other windows do.

I just noticed this. There's usually supposed to be a lightening behind window titles, but these two apps don't show it. How interesting. This means if a WordPad or Explorer titlebar is placed over a darker background in some color combinations, their titles pretty much disappear since they are indistinguishable from the background.

What is your GPU and your graphics driver version? Have you tried upgrading to the latest drivers?

Oh I am with the latest drivers ;) No doubt about that!

GTX570 with 320.00 drivers.

I have similar problem running on GTX650 with 314.22 driver, so this might be a GeForce only issue?

There's funny thing about this glitch, I could NOT take a screenshot on this glitch... yes, literally, this glitch wouldn't show up in a screenshot

Haha, me too! At least, I was. The 320 beta turned out to have a huge number of problems and glitches in everyday (non-gaming) use. Check out the release thread on Guru3D -- it's horrifying. I also experienced some crashes and graphics corruption -- and that was before I ever used AG. But if the drivers are fine for you, so be it -- we can probably rule that out. :) I actually have Optimus so the HD 3000 handles the GUI lifting.

What intrigues me is the fact that the artifacts cannot be captured in screenshots. This leads me to accuse the driver's post-processing. Check that FXAA is disabled globally, as well as both "optimization" settings in the control panel.

In other news, I had the "black glass on restart" issue others are mentioning. Only ever had it on 0.9. How strange! Running AGTweaker to "re-apply" the dll fixed the issues. Any reports I can provide?

Edited by Gabe

The glitches are normally caused by blurring the clipped region when the pixels outside of the clipped region are not available. It means that DWM wants to draw part of window, so it sends underlying texture - e.g. wallpaper - for this part only. Since blur effect is generated from the neighboring pixels this will result in glitches on the edge of the clipped region. However, my aero glass utility has a workaround for this which should work in the majority of the cases - and it even seems to be working correctly for the most of users. The only problem which is not solved is when you place more frames closer and move another frame over them. But such glitches are not so horrible and they are almost unnoticeable.

I'm going to fix this problem completely but I cannot say when this happen because I need to find part of DWM code which is responsible for this.

Importing the registry does not work, even after editing the file to point it to my .dll.

Using AGTweak also gives me this error:

7CQ5lWT.png

If I do not disable the dll immediately and close this dialog button my whole screen will turn black (only the cursor is visible) and I would need to restart.

Oops, I forgot to backup registry before importing swatches.reg, someone can export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Glass Colorization\Swatches" and share it? Thank you.

Oops, I forgot to backup registry before importing swatches.reg, someone can export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Glass Colorization\Swatches" and share it? Thank you.

Here.

Edited by CKyHC

Here.

Thank you very much!

Strangely, Aero Glass (latest beta) works fine on my laptop, but on my desktop, it crashes and forces a log off 90% of the time. I know how to bypass the loading, but are there any log files I can send you bigmuscle? I can also give you my graphics card and any other relevant info you need. UPDATE: I uploaded some log files to Dropbox. Let me know if you need more information.

Edited by MikeRL

The glitches are normally caused by blurring the clipped region when the pixels outside of the clipped region are not available. It means that DWM wants to draw part of window, so it sends underlying texture - e.g. wallpaper - for this part only. Since blur effect is generated from the neighboring pixels this will result in glitches on the edge of the clipped region. However, my aero glass utility has a workaround for this which should work in the majority of the cases - and it even seems to be working correctly for the most of users. The only problem which is not solved is when you place more frames closer and move another frame over them. But such glitches are not so horrible and they are almost unnoticeable.

I'm going to fix this problem completely but I cannot say when this happen because I need to find part of DWM code which is responsible for this.

by the way, this doesn't happens in version 0.7, and it seems to be only appeasers in a multi-monitor setting environment.

hope this info may do some help

Importing the registry does not work, even after editing the file to point it to my .dll.

Using AGTweak also gives me this error:

7CQ5lWT.png

If I do not disable the dll immediately and close this dialog button my whole screen will turn black (only the cursor is visible) and I would need to restart.

Try install all windows updates,it will work fine.

My system:Windows 8 Pro x64.