Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Thanks for this!

But I'm asking for something else- if bigmuscle will sell his aplication (even He don't know it), 'drop shadows' option could be nice addition. If it will be freeware, I won't grumble. It's just an idea to make his work even better ;)

Another idea is adding some 'space' to taskbar and window bar, I mean now they are flat , but have blur and transparency. Adding some 'shine' on the edges of them have some sense (for me). Just like here: http://globalknowledgeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/windows_7_aero_peak2.png

This is just speculation of course, but, I've used programs in the past (mostly in games) that hook onto DirectX calls and do things like replace textures and shaders, allowing changes to game appearances and sometimes adding new effects not originally apart of the game.

If this program was somehow able to intercept some of the graphics and shaders, would it in theory be possible to not only have a blur effect, but more advanced things like animated water ripple?

Like I say, this is speculation, not suggestion. Even if it was possible (and it probably is not), it may not be desirable because there would be a huge hit to performance and probably stability too.

@BigMuscle - I had a problem leading to a black screen with the charms bar visable (but unusable) while I was updating my GPU driver a couple of days ago. When I update the drivers, I uninstall my driver completely first as it reduced problems I had in the past with leftover files etc.

The Black screen happened when I uninstalled the driver. My guess it that the DX level changes when there is no driver installed, or when a new driver is installed, and DWM does not have a catch to deal with it. So I would recommend people to reboot and hold CTRL while Windows is loading (which doesnt load AeroGlass to memory).

Here is the Debug log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/inzf30tzj2ksksp/debug%2026-Apr-2013.log?m

After :

rp7c.png

Shadow is increased, window borders are more pronounced and the inner edge of window frames is restored.

That looks quite good, ORelio.

What tool are you using to edit the resources?

-Noel

Resource Hacker. It allows to view/extract/replace resources in exe, dll, msstyles files.

The PNG file you are looking for can be found in the msstyles file at STREAM/983/1033.

Once extracted, you can modify it with any image editor and apply the file with CustomThemeResource registry key.

-- Or place it back in the msstyles file but you need to patch your system to use modified msstyles so bigmuscle's method is better :)

Whenever I try to add any CustomThemeResource, it never works... I added the String registry key in the right place, with the path definitely right... I'm getting this error a whole bunch of time:

[0x20A4] Failed to load custom theme file (0x80070005)

This has been the issue since the first build which added the option, it never worked... Everything else in the debug log looks fine...

After :

rp7c.png

Shadow is increased, window borders are more pronounced and the inner edge of window frames is restored.

That looks quite good, ORelio.

What tool are you using to edit the resources?

-Noel

Resource Hacker. It allows to view/extract/replace resources in exe, dll, msstyles files.

The PNG file you are looking for can be found in the msstyles file at STREAM/983/1033.

Once extracted, you can modify it with any image editor and apply the file with CustomThemeResource registry key.

-- Or place it back in the msstyles file but you need to patch your system to use modified msstyles so bigmuscle's method is better :)

Edited by Trailblazer101

In the RP theme inactive window color from registry or if change through AGTweaker don't change anithing. But if use standart RTM theme inactive color works,,,

Try to rename the RP msstyle to aero ;)

Edited by Tusticles

I dont know if it was ever posted.

but one drawback from using this is aincrease in gpu usage, at lest for me it is anyway.

just moving my mouse across a window causes gpu spikes.

stop moving the mouse and gpu usage drops back to down

my specs

nvidia 580 gtx

intel 2600 3.9

mem 16gb

dskiller: which version do you have? If you have < 0.8 than it can be caused by layered windows hack. If you have 0.8 then 1) you have incompatible DWM DLLs which falls back to layered windows (you can find info in debug log), 2) try enabling native mode (see UseNativeBlur in changelog) to compare if it still happens.

Aero Glass v0.8 isn't working for me (v0.7 works fine). I get fully transparent window borders without blur. I've tried several DeviceFeatureLevel values.

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5850

Driver: 9.12.0.0 (Dec 2012)

dwmcore.dll: 6.2.9200.16433

uDWM.dll: 6.2.9200.16420

debug.txt

Edited by rayappan

According to the debug log, it is 0.8 and you have tried only 11.0 and 11.1 device feature levels. Device levels 9.x or version 0.85 should work,

9.x didn't work but enabling UseNativeBlur worked :)

Can you give link to version 0.85? I can't find it

After :

rp7c.png

It's close to windows 7 glass effect, while keeping the RP buttons and square corners. B)

And of course no patching is needed as this is achieved using CustomThemeResource. Thanks BigMuscle :)

This looks good. The customer preview had also a bit different captions buttons:

Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-Windows-Defender-MSE-8.png

I'm also thinking of having some default theme for AeroGlass utility. Something like "default value for CustomThemeResource" so when user runs it for the first time, it will change Windows 8 theme to my default. But I guess we can't use any theme from any Win Beta/RC/RTM due to licensing reasons.

I'm pretty sure that image isn't BM's. Reverse searching the image brings up plenty of russian blogs and no mention of the wallpaper.

The biggest I could find

http://img5.rajce.idnes.cz/d0505/6/6882/6882317_dd2d1220dd1ac4fc3fd4423990af5ef0/images/Softpedia_custom_wallpaper1_-_Copy_29920177_.jpg?ver=2

Edited by Blackbird256