Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

on my site Trolls get the ban hammer.

Like this one ? :rolleyes:

mb2tjm.jpg

Not to stay too off-topic, tried to use the CustomThemeResource setting and it works well.

Managed to modify Release Preview theme using Windows 7 resources to get this :

Before :

rp8o.png

After :

rp7c.png

Shadow is increased, window borders are more pronounced and the inner edge of window frames is restored.

It's close to windows 7 glass effect, while keeping the RP buttons and square corners. B)

And of course no patching is needed as this is achieved using CustomThemeResource. Thanks BigMuscle :)

Here are the custom resources, each one can be used only with the corresponding theme :

For use with Windows 8 default theme : http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4826/stardard8win7.png

For use with Release Preview theme : http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2064/rpwin7.png

Tried with version 0.85, same results as before... forcing DX feature 9.3 blurring works but it isn't adjustable...

Because AeroGlass does not support any settings to adjust the blur. Opacity is adjusted by slider in Windows Control panel.

The opacity adjuster in Control Panel's Color Mixer works correctly, yet blurring settings in AGTweaker don't work... maybe I'm wrong and I need some custom theme in order to see blurring around windows' captions (e.g. like in last screenshot posted by Peacem4k3r)?

Edited by niun

Tried with version 0.85, same results as before... forcing DX feature 9.3 blurring works but it isn't adjustable...

Because AeroGlass does not support any settings to adjust the blur. Opacity is adjusted by slider in Windows Control panel.

The opacity adjuster in Control Panel's Color Mixer works correctly, yet blurring settings in AGTweaker don't work... maybe I'm wrong and I need some custom theme in order to see blurring around windows' captions (e.g. like in last screenshot posted by Peacem4k3r)?

The blur around the window text is theme related. You need a special theme for it ;3

After :

rp7c.png

Shadow is increased, window borders are more pronounced and the inner edge of window frames is restored.

It's close to windows 7 glass effect, while keeping the RP buttons and square corners. B)

And of course no patching is needed as this is achieved using CustomThemeResource. Thanks BigMuscle :)

This looks good. The customer preview had also a bit different captions buttons:

Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-Windows-Defender-MSE-8.png

I'm also thinking of having some default theme for AeroGlass utility. Something like "default value for CustomThemeResource" so when user runs it for the first time, it will change Windows 8 theme to my default. But I guess we can't use any theme from any Win Beta/RC/RTM due to licensing reasons.

After :

rp7c.png

This looks good. The customer preview had also a bit different captions buttons:

Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-Windows-Defender-MSE-8.png

I'm also thinking of having some default theme for AeroGlass utility. Something like "default value for CustomThemeResource" so when user runs it for the first time, it will change Windows 8 theme to my default. But I guess we can't use any theme from any Win Beta/RC/RTM due to licensing reasons.

I think it's a good idea about custom theme in AeroGlass Utility. I understand licensing reasons, but what about make another theme in the base of some Beta/RC/RTM. It's broke license rights?

Does it crash even without my aeroglass?

Yes, it does. I not sure why. But, sometimes when starting up my computer when the theme is applied, those dialog boxes about .dll incompatibilities uses the WINDOWS CLASSIC theme. Other times, it reverts back to the last used theme.

What's wrong with this? Does that explorer really sends (235,235,235) to colorize the taskbar?

It might be due to a glitch in your true taskbar blur code, but I'm not sure since I am not good of programming except for batch file programming (if that counts).

Could anyone make a custom theme resource using the features of the Consumer/Developer Preview theme? I realy liked that theme.

Edited by WindowsOS

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-Windows-Defender-MSE-8.png

Didn't know about the Consumer Preview theme. I still prefer the RP caption buttons, though :)

I'm not sure about licensing, but Release Preview / Windows 7 themes can be easily downloaded from many sites, so I'm not sure that Microsoft cares about it.

Providing a default theme resource with your utility is a good idea as Windows 8 default theme is not designed at all for Aero and looks imperfect with glass enabled.

Does it crash even without my aeroglass?

Yes, it does. I not sure why. But, sometimes when starting up my computer when the theme is applied, those dialog boxes about .dll incompatibilities uses the WINDOWS CLASSIC theme. Other times, it reverts back to the last used theme.

What's wrong with this? Does that explorer really sends (235,235,235) to colorize the taskbar?

It might be due to a glitch in your true taskbar blur code, but I'm not sure since I am not good of programming except for batch file programming (if that counts).

Could anyone make a custom theme resource using the features of the Consumer/Developer Preview theme? I realy liked that theme.

Hi WindowsOS

You can tryout this theme

http://nighthawk-f22.deviantart.com/art/Dark-theme-for-Windows8-RTM-324474705

Picture of the theme is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95015623@N08/

My "taskbar blur" code is nothing special than if explorer says "we don't want blur behind taskbar" I rewrite the message with "we want blur behind taskbar" and when explorer says "enable accent on the taskbar" I rewrite it with "don't enable accent on the taskbar". Nothing special for this.

Providing a default theme resource with your utility is a good idea as Windows 8 default theme is not designed at all for Aero and looks imperfect with glass enabled.

Actually, the default theme can look good when suitable colorization settings is selected.

I don't know if testing is still needed, but here are my results anyway.

Running win8 x64 on an older laptop with a 8600m GT, using the AGTweaker 1.2.2/DWMHook 0.8 (is that the latest public build?)

Had to fiddle around with rendering modes until it worked - currently working in DX9.1 mode. DX10.0 mode only has two states, opaque and total transparency without blur.

I don't know if it's an AGT bug, but the inactive color doesn't work for me at all, no matter which I choose the inactive color stays black. Taskbar follows active color correctly though.

Also, changing settings for blur/transparency sometimes lead to a black screen after applying them, usually if I do it repeatedly. Looking forward to the finished product.

I don't know if testing is still needed, but here are my results anyway.

Running win8 x64 on an older laptop with a 8600m GT, using the AGTweaker 1.2.2/DWMHook 0.8 (is that the latest public build?)

Had to fiddle around with rendering modes until it worked - currently working in DX9.1 mode. DX10.0 mode only has two states, opaque and total transparency without blur.

I don't know if it's an AGT bug, but the inactive color doesn't work for me at all, no matter which I choose the inactive color stays black. Taskbar follows active color correctly though.

Also, changing settings for blur/transparency sometimes lead to a black screen after applying them, usually if I do it repeatedly. Looking forward to the finished product.

In the RP theme inactive window color from registry or if change through AGTweaker don't change anithing. But if use standart RTM theme inactive color works,,,

I am using the RTM theme actually, the inactive color is still stuck at black... or rather, some weird color that varies from black to white depending on the coloring setting I set in the personalizing dialogue. I managed to get the colors to look decent enough for me, for now. The internal builds are probably much further ahead by now anyway so...

After :

rp7c.png

That looks quite good, ORelio.

What tool are you using to edit the resources?

-Noel

By the way - do You plan adding shadows? Win7 Aero has it.

I'll save BigMuscle the trouble of answering... Drop shadows come from the theme resource list. Windows is currently compositing fully transparent drop shadows for you. Nice of them, eh?

You can add drop shadows yourself by having Aero Glass for Win8 load alternate desktop element resources from a PNG file, the path to which you specify by the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM : CustomThemeResource REG_SZ value.

Win8Desktop.png

Click here to download the alternate theme resource PNG file I've modified.

-Noel

Thanks for this!

But I'm asking for something else- if bigmuscle will sell his aplication (even He don't know it), 'drop shadows' option could be nice addition. If it will be freeware, I won't grumble. It's just an idea to make his work even better ;)

Another idea is adding some 'space' to taskbar and window bar, I mean now they are flat , but have blur and transparency. Adding some 'shine' on the edges of them have some sense (for me). Just like here: http://globalknowledgeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/windows_7_aero_peak2.png

BTW: Now, finally I can run v.85version, with normal transparency and blur (Opacity 50, Blur 60, dx9.3)!

Edited by Rumcayz