Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

It's sad to see that this was ruined by a single post.

bigmuscle, I respect your work and the amount of time you've put into this.

Thank you for letting us test previews of it in the past.

He's not stopping development, he's just no longer releasing public builds until he's done. I know it's hard to find the post in the many pages of mess, but he said it somewhere in there...

EDIT:

Here:

I will only repeat myself, but again. I develop this utility in my free time, just for fun and to learn new things. I made preview of this available which was not intended for normal usage at all, with many bugs and many debugging things included. And people started to search for the way how to remove background discreet console window (which was intended for serious debug messages). So this just convinced me that people does not want any preview of anything and they are not interested in any testing (how could anyone test it if he is searching for the way how to remove debug messages?). Thus I added one-hour preview notification window and made the statement that this version is not for regular usage. That's it.

So if anyone wants to use it for different usage than testing, then he uses it against the conditions of this software. If anyone disassembles/modify this software so it can be used under different conditions than he infringes the copyright of this software. And sorry, I won't support such behaviour. If anyone does not like the behaviour of this piece of software that he should not use it at all. You can always move to the alternates - e.g. move to WindowBlinds and start complaining that they don't give you any preview which you could crack. From deltebews' posts, I understand that he's going to spread his cracked version everywhere and thus there is no reason why I should support him in cracking any following versions with many bugfixes. I'm still continuing in development of this application but I will not share any new public version at this time.

I don't blame BM at all for making that decision. It could be argued that those posting about cracking it should perhaps be banned.

However, that's not my decision thankfully.

What theme is that? It looks great.

Ugly without blur.

I guess I was mentally extrapolating that theme with blur applied. Now I realize from posts I've read in this thread that some themes prevent blur from working properly. I guess that's what I get for posting first thing in the morning before coffee.

Pretty glass effects aside, I don't see how people can stand the lack of drop shadows in the standard Windows 8 desktop theme. I find the shadows, and indeed all the "faux" 3D effects and other things that polish the look of the desktop elements, essential to help visually differentiate windows from one another.

Win8DesktopGrab.png

-Noel

Tried with version 0.85, same results as before... forcing DX feature 9.3 blurring works but it isn't adjustable...

Because AeroGlass does not support any settings to adjust the blur. Opacity is adjusted by slider in Windows Control panel.

And when Tusticles mentiones the themes thing, does anybody have access to Consumer/Developer preview theme? It looks similar as Release Preview with some details (such as the caption buttons looks more shiny etc.)

I did, and both does not work. It causes DWM to crash and causes the black screen error. And, let me report an error when using the program with Windows 7's Explorer (Notice the Show Desktop button.) The taskbar uses the inactive window color (the inactive window is slightly white because of the RP theme itself, not the color).

Edited by WindowsOS

Yes, it solves only one thing - it stops/annoys you using the software if your intention is not the testing/previewing.

How is continually clicking "OK" to dismiss a popup nag helping to test the software? How does it aid the testing process? Intentionally annoying people as you describe is a terrible way to build goodwill for your software if and when it does go for sale.

No offense but I'm not sure who's worse - Microsoft for removing Aero Glass, or the attitude of the guy trying to add it back in.

Edited by mvd

Yes, it solves only one thing - it stops/annoys you using the software if your intention is not the testing/previewing.

How is continually clicking "OK" to dismiss a popup nag helping to test the software? How does it aid the testing process? Intentionally annoying people as you describe is a terrible way to build goodwill for your software if and when it does go for sale.

No offense but I'm not sure who's worse - Microsoft for removing Aero Glass, or the attitude of the guy trying to add it back in.

Anyone who complains that one popup per hour is too annoying to test clearly is not actually testing this software. Testing this application does not mean "turn it on forever and go about your day as if nothing is different." It means you load it up and try particular tasks for an hour or two, then report your findings. Bigmuscle has no attitude. If anything it's the people like you that need your attitudes adjusted because you clearly have no respect. Bigmuscle's post about the people like you who are complaining sums it up pretty well, you should go find the post a few pages back.

Anyone who complains that one popup per hour is too annoying to test clearly is not actually testing this software.

That is a non-sequitur.

All the idiots complaining about the 1 hour notice are probably working for MS and are just trolling the site trying to p*** Big Muscle off so he stops work on it, my advice is don't feed the trolls, just ignore them or ban them and hope they go away.

Edit: just had a look at the posts from the people who complain and as I thought, the majority have only just joined this site, so that says it all, they joined just to be Trolls, on my site Trolls get the ban hammer.

Edited by MrGRiM

And when Tusticles mentiones the themes thing, does anybody have access to Consumer/Developer preview theme? It looks similar as Release Preview with some details (such as the caption buttons looks more shiny etc.)

I did, and both does not work. It causes DWM to crash and causes the black screen error.

Does it crash even without my aeroglass?

And, let me report an error when using the program with Windows 7's Explorer (Notice the Show Desktop button.) The taskbar uses the inactive window color (the inactive window is slightly white because of the RP theme itself, not the color).

What's wrong with this? Does that explorer really sends (235,235,235) to colorize the taskbar?

Everything works perfectly, I don't see a single bug occuring with my setup. But this may be because of me not having two or three screens ^^' But yeah, really beautiful, easy to use and stable! (No crash till now). I hope you will continue developing this beautiful piece of software. You really have my thanks! (I will try to donate, but for me it's really difficult to do because I don't have PayPal..)

Here's a screenshot of my current setup:

a4hO9n4.jpg

Edited by Peacem4k3r