Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Has anyone tried this with the leaked builds of Windows 8.1, if it doesn't work with it then the testing stage may turn out to be a on going thing. Surely Microsoft is aware of this project, so I can see them doing 1 of 2 things. Either putting glass back into Windows to kill Big Muscles project, or constantly changing things to mess up his project.

Hmm, I guess this is big enough that there's a decent chance that Microsoft knows about it. Even if they do, I seriously doubt that they care: big companies rarely concern themselves with fan/3rd party stuff like this.

Rumor is that 8.1 could bring back aeroglass, which would render this obsolete, but afaik this project is made with a separate rending engine (custom one done in D3D?) or something, so there isn't much else Microsoft could do.

I don't understand why people always assume that Microsoft goes around patching their code explicitly to disable things like this. Where do they get this idea?

Also where did you hear that rumor? Is it some form of pure speculation about the rumors of the start button?

Some article about Windows 8.1... Probably safe to assume it was pure speculation. I don't really remember.

Sounds to me though that MS is trying to fix the obvious things with snapping and more colors. I don't see a start menu and areoglass being too far off.

I will only repeat myself, but again. I develop this utility in my free time, just for fun and to learn new things. I made preview of this available which was not intended for normal usage at all, with many bugs and many debugging things included. And people started to search for the way how to remove background discreet console window (which was intended for serious debug messages). So this just convinced me that people does not want any preview of anything and they are not interested in any testing (how could anyone test it if he is searching for the way how to remove debug messages?). Thus I added one-hour preview notification window and made the statement that this version is not for regular usage. That's it.

So if anyone wants to use it for different usage than testing, then he uses it against the conditions of this software. If anyone disassembles/modify this software so it can be used under different conditions than he infringes the copyright of this software. And sorry, I won't support such behaviour. If anyone does not like the behaviour of this piece of software that he should not use it at all. You can always move to the alternates - e.g. move to WindowBlinds and start complaining that they don't give you any preview which you could crack. From deltebews' posts, I understand that he's going to spread his cracked version everywhere and thus there is no reason why I should support him in cracking any following versions with many bugfixes. I'm still continuing in development of this application but I will not share any new public version at this time.

General rule of thumb: disregard anyone who gets banned. Especially if they come back with a dupe.

So if I understand correctly, no more previews until the software is finished? I can live with that.

Edited by hello2u

I will only repeat myself, but again. I develop this utility in my free time, just for fun and to learn new things. I made preview of this available which was not intended for normal usage at all, with many bugs and many debugging things included. And people started to search for the way how to remove background discreet console window (which was intended for serious debug messages). So this just convinced me that people does not want any preview of anything and they are not interested in any testing (how could anyone test it if he is searching for the way how to remove debug messages?). Thus I added one-hour preview notification window and made the statement that this version is not for regular usage. That's it.

So if anyone wants to use it for different usage than testing, then he uses it against the conditions of this software. If anyone disassembles/modify this software so it can be used under different conditions than he infringes the copyright of this software. And sorry, I won't support such behaviour. If anyone does not like the behaviour of this piece of software that he should not use it at all. You can always move to the alternates - e.g. move to WindowBlinds and start complaining that they don't give you any preview which you could crack. From deltebews' posts, I understand that he's going to spread his cracked version everywhere and thus there is no reason why I should support him in cracking any following versions with many bugfixes. I'm still continuing in development of this application but I will not share any new public version at this time.

So you are that angry about deltebews that you stopped publishing new versions? Should Microsoft stop publishing updates for Windows 8, because a little hacker cracks their user inteface and enables Aero Glass?

You are not doing this for fun, you want to make money and this is why you are afraid of versions with removed notifications. There is no cracked Aero Glass for Win8 because there are is no disclaimer by the way. And it is very clear that your final app, when released, will be cracked like every charged program. Don´t tell us, you wasn´t aware of that.

I personally resepct your work, but not your behavior here. And in my opinion I can live with a Aero Glass free Windows 8 when it´s therefor liberated from obtrusive BIG MUSCLE placards.

The sheer amount of disrespect in this post is absolutely astounding. After straight up telling you he is doing it for fun and wishes people respect his notifications, you tell him he is lying and wrong, and that you know better than his own intentions? It amazes me that you would consider HIS behavior inappropriate. It's probably a good thing he is now developing it privately. People like you and others here that are trying to defend any of deltebew's actions don't even deserve to use it. How many times does bigmuscle have to try to explain that this is for testing purposes only and IS NOT meant to be used regularly? It's as if you people are a couple of children constantly throwing a tantrum about how "I want it now!" If it weren't for bigmuscle you wouldn't even have what you currently do, be grateful for that.

So you are that angry about deltebews that you stopped publishing new versions? Should Microsoft stop publishing updates for Windows 8, because a little hacker cracks their user inteface and enables Aero Glass?

You are not doing this for fun, you want to make money and this is why you are afraid of versions with removed notifications. There is no cracked Aero Glass for Win8 because there are is no disclaimer by the way. And it is very clear that your final app, when released, will be cracked like every charged program. Don´t tell us, you wasn´t aware of that.

I personally resepct your work, but not your behavior here. And in my opinion I can live with a Aero Glass free Windows 8 when it´s therefor liberated from obtrusive BIG MUSCLE placards.

The sheer amount of disrespect in this post is absolutely astounding. After straight up telling you he is doing it for fun and wishes people respect his notifications, you tell him he is lying and wrong, and that you know better than his own intentions? It amazes me that you would consider HIS behavior inappropriate. It's probably a good thing he is now developing it privately. People like you and others here that are trying to defend any of deltebew's actions don't even deserve to use it. How many times does bigmuscle have to try to explain that this is for testing purposes only and IS NOT meant to be used regularly? It's as if you people are a couple of children constantly throwing a tantrum about how "I want it now!" If it weren't for bigmuscle you wouldn't even have what you currently do, be grateful for that.

Not really. You misunderstood his post completely. He's saying everything will be cracked eventually an there is nothing you can do about it and you shouldn't cease development, because someone did. If everyone followed bigmuscle's way there would be nothing finished at all. For example HL2 was leaked sometime in 2003 completely even with source code. Did that stop Valve from releasing HL2? No it didn't. They disregarded it, continued on and finished it. That is unless he will be working on it privately which is fine, because I can just use 0.7 in meantime if I really need it. He should really stop caring what a bunch of mean things anonymous people said on internet. If i learnt something from various internet communities it's that people can do complete 180° of their personality and act like as****** without consequences.

You could at least share changelogs if anything. Those were interesting to read. Otherwise there is point in this thread now?

Edited by Blackbird256

it makes no sense to me - if the software is released into the wild then the developer loses control - he can say what he wants about copyright but its pointless - it will be 'cracked/modified if it is not what people want - what has happened was forced to happen - even with private previews it would still have got out - this is one hack by one person - hell Microsoft cannot keep control of anything and stop it getting hacked what chance is there here - its something many people want and by the comments on here something people will pay for - so with full respect bigmuscle dont throw the teddy out of the pram - put an installer on what you have - release is as version 1 - if you intended to charge for it then do so - if you continue to work on it and fix every bug and add every feature you will never release it as there will also be a new feature you want to add or play with

an example of how this would have been better is in another thread - startisback is still under development - its available and has been from early version as a paid for release - its downloadable for free there are no popups but it shuts down features after 30 days - that works - if people like it they buy it - or not as there are cracked versions around as i am sure the author knows - he seems to accept that and continues to improve the software in the knowledge that people will come back and buy it

Oh yeah SiB is another great example. Even when it was heavily WIP you could still buy it and use it fully and I'm pretty sure Tihiy didn't stop developing it, because TEAM CRUDE cracked it. ;)

Edited by Blackbird256

My experience: I've tried Aero Glass on two machines, one with Win8 Pro x64 (graphic card Geforce 9600), the other with Win8 Standard x64 (Intel HD 4000). On both transparency was fully working without glitches or graphical aberrations, but blurring wasn't. So I tried also AGTweaker: setting manually DX Device feature version to 9.3 works pretty well on the Intel HD 4000 (in the sense that the blurring isn't adjustable but is active), instead on the Geforce 9600 machine blurring also works with DX feature 9.3 BUT dwm keeps restarting every 7-8 seconds (for memory leak probably, from task manager I see working set growing till 100 Mb then dwm restarting).

Any suggestions?

Edited by niun

At the beginning, I didn't want to release any preview version. My plan was to show screenshots only, test it in closed group and provide free open-source application when I implement all basic things I had planned. It was my good will that I provided preview/testing version to the public. And people started to complain that they can't use it in a way which it was not intended to. Ok, crack it.. do everything what you want, it is not my problem, I can't stop it and I don't even want to stop it from cracking. I just see a bit rude to talk about cracking and releasing cracked version here, in the official support thread. And this is what I won't support and it is why I'm returning to my original plan - test only in the closed group and I will release the public version later. When? When it is done. Free or paid? I don't know, I must decide - I don't want to earn any money on this (the new programming skills are enough to me) and I know that many people will crack it again without paying, so... many years ago, I developed paid application and nobody was able to crack it (in the sense that forums were full of requests to crack it but nobody ever did it), so I could implement similar mechanism but why? To increase the binary size and stopping it to be light-weight as much as possible?

Fine by me. i'm glad to hear you're not just flat out deleting it and making all that time you developed it for nothing. You'd be actually surprised how much idiots go complain their cracked version of game/software doesn't work on its official forums. It's rather hilarious they don't understand that cracked version are never ever supported by real developers and I agree that if you put some kind of DRM into it, it will feel really bloated especially if it "called home" like Start8.

Edited by Blackbird256

Do you have latest drivers for the GPU and what version are you using?

On the Geforce I tried both with latest official Nvidia driver (314.22) and with Windows 8 preinstalled one, with the same results.

Also on the HD 4000 the driver should be the most recent ( 9.17.10.2875 ).

At the beginning, I didn't want to release any preview version. My plan was to show screenshots only, test it in closed group and provide free open-source application when I implement all basic things I had planned. It was my good will that I provided preview/testing version to the public. And people started to complain that they can't use it in a way which it was not intended to. Ok, crack it.. do everything what you want, it is not my problem, I can't stop it and I don't even want to stop it from cracking. I just see a bit rude to talk about cracking and releasing cracked version here, in the official support thread. And this is what I won't support and it is why I'm returning to my original plan - test only in the closed group and I will release the public version later. When? When it is done. Free or paid? I don't know, I must decide - I don't want to earn any money on this (the new programming skills are enough to me) and I know that many people will crack it again without paying, so... many years ago, I developed paid application and nobody was able to crack it (in the sense that forums were full of requests to crack it but nobody ever did it), so I could implement similar mechanism but why? To increase the binary size and stopping it to be light-weight as much as possible?

Sounds good to me. Maybe ask the mods for a little help there?

Fine by me. i'm glad to hear you're not just flat out deleting it and making all that time you developed it for nothing. You'd be actually surprised how much idiots go complain their cracked version of game/software doesn't work on its official forums. It's rather hilarious they don't understand that cracked version are never ever supported by real developers and I agree that if you put some kind of DRM into it, it will feel really bloated especially if it "called home" like Start8.

Fully agreed.

I've been absent from the forums for a few days and when I return, it seems as though crap has hit the fan. I am also bemused at the ridiculous level of conceited self-centredness that the fortunate beneficiaries, of your program, are exhibiting. I simply cannot comprehend how adults (for I am assuming we're all adults here) can be so immature and ungrateful. Maybe the people who are complaining about the pre-release message are not native speakers of English and are not understanding what you have typed over and over and over. I'm saddened that these people have ruined the opportunity for us to follow the development of this project and provide feedback, however I respect this decision as I would probably have done the same if I were in your position. I wish you the best with the continued development of the program...