Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

a question

are there any settings to just have full aero of the taskbar - is it even possible - we all have different ideas and for me that would work - i dont want rounded corners and am not fussed about windows being aero at the top - for what i see of them its no big deal and if i set up the taskbar to be full aero then the windows tops are for me - maybe that can be set another way but i dont

Thanks anyone who sent me the files, I will provide testing version soon but don't expect it will work because I probably made some mistake :lol:

And when Tusticles mentiones the themes thing, does anybody have access to Consumer/Developer preview theme? It looks similar as Release Preview with some details (such as the caption buttons looks more shiny etc.)

"ColorizationColorInactive" & "ColorizationColorBalanceInactive" have no effect on custom themes, why?

Could you post registry screenshot? Maybe there is something I forgot.

I found the problem, the msstyle name must be 'aero', changing the name will break those reg entries. Strange...

Edited by Tusticles

Thank you. Just one small thing which I probably shoould mention before. Your images are from the list of the runnings apps which is child of the taskbar. The proper info for the taskbar can be retrieved when you move mouse to the leftest part of the taskbar. WinID should provide "No parent window" in brown text in the middle and Shell_TrayWnd for Class item.

Tried again with the cursor in the right place:

taksbar 1 : http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7470/taskbar12.png

taskbar 2 : http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2492/taskbar22.png

That's still not the same HWindow.

Ah, thanks! Now it explains why it does not work. The secondary taskbar has different class name. Now I am interested (maybe in a stupid) thing, is it possible to have more than two displays with taskbar on each one?

Ah, thanks! Now it explains why it does not work. The secondary taskbar has different class name. Now I am interested (maybe in a stupid) thing, is it possible to have more than two displays with taskbar on each one?

Oh I never really noticed the taskbar thing, but, now I notice the colours are different on each window as people are saying.

Its difficult to test on 3 monitors for the average person. I have a GTX card with slots for 3 monitors but only 2 can work on a single card.

Anyone here with a SLI setup? :) Thats the only way to test I think.

It looks like I'm now running the debug version, because the main taskbar is now transparent, but AGTweaker is still saying BETA 2 so I'm not sure.

Only differences appear to be that the main taskbar is transparent, and a bit of shading behind the windows, though that could be my theme and I'm just noticing it.

I tried with native and non-native blurring, still can't adjust anything. Only change when tweaking is that the entire effect sometimes goes away when I use higher values.

Here's a screenshot for debugging/admiring: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20887877/Jing/2013-04-18_1920.png

Thank you for helping make it a reality!

Oh and I have two monitors, though I'm pretty sure you can have unlimited taskbars as long as your computer can support enough displays.

Edited by hello2u

oh ok then, I'll try installing again later.

Not sure why the taskbar started working, maybe it needed a restart.

Update: The effect seems to be applying for the most part, but it isn't very good.

Here's a few screenshots, each one is with the shown settings applied already:

Low opacity, med blur, non-native blur

low opacity, med blur, native

med opacity, high blur, native. Effect broken

med opacity, med-high blur, non-native

low opacity, low blur, non-native

zero opacity, low blur, native

My conclusions are that native/non-native blur doesn't make a difference, high levels cause the effect to stop working, and other values have little or no effect.

There is slight transparency though.

Edited by hello2u

Create a batch file with this content and run it as an administrator.

@echo off
echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 > .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\DWM Menu] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "MUIVerb"="DWM Glass" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "SubCommands"="ON;OFF" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "Icon"="shell32.dll,240" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "Position"="bottom" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\ON] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="Enable" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\ON\command] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="[color="C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe -enable" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\OFF] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="Disable" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\OFF\command] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe -disable" >> .DWMINS.reg
call regedit /s .DWMINS.reg
del .DWMINS.reg

You can always just use REG ADD instead of creating a temporary .reg file:

RED ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\DWM Menu" /v MUIVerb /d "DWM Glass" /t REG_SZ /f
RED ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\DWM Menu" /v SubCommands /d "ON;OFF" /t REG_SZ /f
RED ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\DWM Menu" /v Icon /d "shell32.dll,240" /t REG_SZ /f
RED ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\DWM Menu" /v Position /d "bottom" /t REG_SZ /f
RED ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\ON" /v @ /d "Enable" /t REG_SZ /f
RED ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\ON\command" /v @ /d "C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe -enable" /t REG_SZ /f
RED ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\OFF" /v @ /d "Disable" /t REG_SZ /f
RED ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\OFF\command" /v @ /d "C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe -disable" /t REG_SZ /f