Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Big Muscle,

I changed around versions of your DMWGlass.dll between 0.7 and 0.8 a few times today to test differences. For that reason Debug.log and Crash.log may contain information from both versions.

So before I provide these logs, I'm going to run for a few hours on v0.8 after deleting the log files (Well, after moving them to a backup folder).

Edit: I will run in the non native blur as I will guess that would be of most help for now.

Edit: A pleasant effect I was not expecting - my Chrome tabs have a nice transparency (approx 80%) in my inactive tabs. I think its not apart of the Chrome theme I was using, as this is the first time I saw it.

Edited by drakenabarion

I've tested this before and from my tests Windows 7 did not do that. The fade in animation did not have glass, it's just very difficult to tell due to the extra layers of sheen and shine from the visual style.

I managed to catch one each and you're absolutely right. The fade in/out in Windows 7 colorizes but does not blur the title bar. I guess it's just too quick to notice.

Windows 7:

Window7Fade.jpg

The fade in Windows 8 is close, but no colorization of the title bar occurs at all:

Window8Fade.jpg

I'm not seeing this as a fundamental problem with the animation, but perhaps with different color schemes (I like a dark background) it would look worse.

-Noel

For anyone who has problems with 0.8 and gets only full transparency without blur effect - could you try this debug version? I've added a few things which could help. It does not give you anything if you have no problems (except message boxes informing you about incompatible DLLs if you have such)

http://leteckaposta.cz/306250185

For anyone who has problems with 0.8 and gets only full transparency without blur effect - could you try this debug version?

notcompatible.png

With the debug version I get this popup and it works as expected, blur is drawn. :)

Edited by ORelio

Nice, yes.. the dialog informs about wrong UDWM.dll or DWMCORE.dll. I could use MS symbol server to download matching PDB file and automatically find required offset, but currently I don't want my application to connect to any remote server.

For anyone who has problems with 0.8 and gets only full transparency without blur effect - could you try this debug version? I've added a few things which could help. It does not give you anything if you have no problems (except message boxes informing you about incompatible DLLs if you have such)

http://leteckaposta.cz/306250185

With this version, I do not get a popup and blur worked for me. However, there are some artefacts, but that could be due to force exiting the DWM process so that it would reload the new dll. (That happened to me when I was testing out different png themes.)

Also, new windows initially popup opaque, but in white which is acceptable and not distracting, so this is good behaviours :)

Edit: I got the normal popup after a few minutes. Oh cool, version 0.85 ;)

Edited by drakenabarion

For those who have problems with native blur, make sure 'UseNativeBlur' have this value 0x10000000 and not 0x00000001.

* added option to render blur completely NATIVELY

--> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:UseNativeBlur (DWORD values 0x0 (default) / 0x1)

DWM Glass AGTweaker context menu for if anyone is interested...

dwmcontextmenu.png

AGTweaker must be in "C:\AGTweaker", if you don't want it in C:\ add your own path.

Create a batch file with this content and run it as an administrator.

@echo off
echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 > .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\DWM Menu] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "MUIVerb"="DWM Glass" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "SubCommands"="ON;OFF" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "Icon"="shell32.dll,240" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "Position"="bottom" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\ON] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="Enable" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\ON\command] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="[color="C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe -enable" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\OFF] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="Disable" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\OFF\command] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe -disable" >> .DWMINS.reg
call regedit /s .DWMINS.reg
del .DWMINS.reg

Edited by Tusticles

Interestingly with 0.85 I get the following two pop-ups when I start Windows, then again if I start an Explorer window...

post-376593-0-75281700-1366153016_thumb.

post-376593-0-86374000-1366153035_thumb.

I've dropped back to 0.8, since it seems to work fine, but if there's other info you need, just say so, BigMuscle.

Here's my latest debug.log:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/debug.log

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Nice, Clean and Simple but if you change to HKLM you can improve the access to dual functionality (desktop and directory) from inside any directory context menu like so..

@echo off
echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 > .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\DWM Menu] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "MUIVerb"="DWM Glass" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "SubCommands"="ON;OFF" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "Icon"="shell32.dll,240" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo "Position"="bottom" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\ON] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="Enable" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\ON\command] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe -enable" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\OFF] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="Disable" >> .DWMINS.reg
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\OFF\command] >> .DWMINS.reg
echo @="C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe -disable" >> .DWMINS.reg
call regedit /s .DWMINS.reg
[size=2]del .DWMINS.reg[/size]

For those who have problems with native blur, make sure 'UseNativeBlur' have this value 0x10000000 and not 0x00000001.

* added option to render blur completely NATIVELY

--> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:UseNativeBlur (DWORD values 0x0 (default) / 0x1)

DWM Glass Context menu if anyone is interested...

dwmcontextmenu.png

Extract DWMGlass folder in C:\, install it using the batch files x64 or x86, depends on your system. Launch the installation batch files as an administrator else it won't work. (same when uninstalling)

If you don't want the DWMGlass folder in C:\, open the installation batch files and "x64\GlassON.bat" or "x86\GlassON.bat" in notepad and add your own path.

Download

Nice, Clean and Simple but if you change to HKLM you can improve the access to dual functionality (desktop and directory) from inside any directory context menu like so..

Yeah, you are right. Updated the post.

To avoid double post. Bigmuscle, can you tell me why is the taskbar affected by StartIsBack? After ticking "Disable Translucency" in StartIsBack options, DWMGlass will add glow and transparency to taskbar but it looks like sh*t, uninstalling StartIsBack and re-installing will solve the problem, transparency and blur is added to taskbar correctly, but enabling/disabling DWMGlass will bring the shi*ty taskbar back. The only option is to uninstall StartIsBack. :(

Edited by Tusticles

OK I got it to work on the new version but went back to 0.7, the new version has less bugs but I am just not liking the lack of options to reduce the blur or color/opacity amount, if we could have some of the options from D2D like blur amount it would be much better, for me aside from a couple of small bugs D2D seemed to be perfect, with the color/opacity on D3D it seems to alter the way inactive and active windows are colored, if set 0 then the active and inactive windows are still colored but inactive color does not differ from the active color, this is not the default behavior with the aero theme though, somehow the aero theme forces the inactive window to become more transparent, however if you use any custom themes the colorization and opacity properties within the theme are ignored.

I am not sure if this was done purposely or if you have only tested your transparency with the default theme but you need to know that the default aero theme is using some sort of trickery to force settings that are contrary to the settings within it.