Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

6.2.9200.16433 and 6.2.9200.16420 also for me, Win8 64bits Standard.

Removed the links from my post. :angel

--> works for compatible udwm.dll (6.2.9200.16420) only, in other case it will fallback to the layered windows

Oh, snap! You're right I have udwm.dll ver. 6.2.9200.16384.

And you are testing it now on different system than before? I'm interested where to get the newer version, but automatic Windows Updates should be enough.

Does not work on Windows 8 build 9364, so sorry. :unsure:

816a6b69f932.jpg

Windows Blue is under testing so to be expected I would imagine. BigMuscle is working with RTM.

Yeah, I guess it will work on next Windows without a problem but it will need to pack shader programs (two very short files) together with my application. These files are very simple so it is no problem but I don't want to do it now because I can reuse that one in Win8 DWM.

Does not work on Windows 8 build 9364, so sorry. :unsure:

816a6b69f932.jpg

Windows Blue is under testing so to be expected I would imagine. BigMuscle is working with RTM.

Yeah, I guess it will work on next Windows without a problem but it will need to pack shader programs (two very short files) together with my application. These files are very simple so it is no problem but I don't want to do it now because I can reuse that one in Win8 DWM.

Well, thank you for your work. :thumbup We'll wait.

Edited by k53eintel

And you are testing it now on different system than before? I'm interested where to get the newer version, but automatic Windows Updates should be enough.

The same, but as I had a system crash meantime, I had to "refresh" my computer (the reinstall feature of windows 8) and it placed back the 6.2.9200.16384 version instead of 6.2.9200.16420.

I'm installing all the available windows updates to see if I'm getting again the right version.

But I guess it won't be the problem. Layered windows work here without problem. Also, Rayn19's log shows that hooking has been successful, only autocolorization hook failed (which should not influence it at all). There must be something more.

ok, after some tries it finally works on my laptop. And it also works for 32Bit now fine:

post-70718-0-92224600-1366123607_thumb.p

It is so great. Performance is good (the delay before the Windows got the glass is gone). I'm so happy :):thumbup:w00t:

btw, why does my crash.log never shows the correct callstack? What are the requirements?

Its turn out, the blur was from the previous version (v0.7), I was using AGTweaker so v0.7 was still loaded.

ORelio, I predicted this would bite people in the behind. You should consider a version of AGTweaker that doesn't move files around, but uses the one(s) BigMuscle provides and allows users to be responsible for placing them. Your software could locate the file (e.g., in the current folder, or in the path) and put the correct path in the registry.

BigMuscle, no comments on the visual glitches that look like they're involved with the drop shadow?

Edit: Here's the Debug.log from my system:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/Debug.log

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I'm confused here, I can still use Direct 2D in the new version, everything seems to working fine though on D3D as well, still have bugs though if you are using desktop gadgets, the extended properties doesn't work nor to the item list hovers, also still seeing another what could be a major performance impact depending on if this is happening constantly or not, but I found if you kill explorer the whole desktop becomes blurred and you get the same sort of artifacts that we first saw when trying to force transparency using HC, only now all the trails are blurred.

vo7xck.jpg

Its turn out, the blur was from the previous version (v0.7), I was using AGTweaker so v0.7 was still loaded.

ORelio, I predicted this would bite people in the behind. You should consider a version of AGTweaker that doesn't move files around, but uses the one(s) BigMuscle provides and allows users to be responsible for placing them. Your software could locate the file (e.g., in the current folder, or in the path) and put the correct path in the registry.

BigMuscle, no comments on the visual glitches that look like they're involved with the drop shadow?

Edit: Here's the Debug.log from my system:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/Debug.log

-Noel

I think I already wrote about it some time ago and I'm afraid that I am not able to do anything with this. I noticed that this happen for me only if you have two or more occluded windows and drag with another window over them. The problem is that it does not have the data for generating blur effect at the edge of the clip region.

btw, why does my crash.log never shows the correct callstack? What are the requirements?

It shows correct callstack when you have PDB files which match your DLL version. The most important is DWMGlass.pdb which is distributed with my utility, it generates logs for my code. The rest (d3d11.pdb, dwmcode.pdb etc.) are for displaying callstack in Windows components and are not so important.

I think I already wrote about it some time ago and I'm afraid that I am not able to do anything with this. I noticed that this happen for me only if you have two or more occluded windows and drag with another window over them. The problem is that it does not have the data for generating blur effect at the edge of the clip region.

If you did I missed it, I'm sorry. Please keep it in the back of your mind; maybe you'll think of an innovative way to work around it..

By the way, I seem to have minimized the artifacts to where they're almost invisible now, by tweaking the color intensity in the Windows personalization UI and also setting ColorizationColorInactive to a dark color (0x40181818).

post-376593-0-86170200-1366135678_thumb.

post-376593-0-63801300-1366136712_thumb.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC