Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

There is just a lack of blur when its disabled, but I assume its something to do with customised values.

Any chance you folks who see completely transparent borders were using Direct2D settings before?

Have you cleared out the settings you changed in the registry?

-Noel

There is just a lack of blur when its disabled, but I assume its something to do with customised values.

Any chance you folks who see completely transparent borders were using Direct2D settings before?

Have you cleared out the settings you changed in the registry?

-Noel

D2D mode has the blur and for me I'm pretty sure it always did. I am playing around with the registry, so if I find something I will post about it.

Generally, the Native Blur looks well, but, the half second non transparency is getting frustrating. Its good that I am only testing it and not expecting it for daily use, right? :D;)

I'd be suspect that you have the wrong software installed if you're seeing it work in Direct2D mode. This release is not supposed to have that.

For what it's worth I see no evidence of non-transparency when starting a window.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I'd be suspect that you have the wrong software installed if you're seeing it work in Direct2D mode. This release is not supposed to have that.

For what it's worth I see no evidence of non-transparency when starting a window.

-Noel

Oh I meant in previous versions. Yeah there is no D2D in this version. I thought you were asking for previous function reasons like device level etc. :-)

I see no evidence of non-transparency when starting a window.

I take that back. I do see a very brief time where the title isn't colored when starting a window. It might be just not filled, I'm not sure.

I checked my Windows 7 system and it seems to bring in the Aero Glass effect with the window as it fades in and tilts forward.

I wonder whether duplicating ALL those things on ALL possible systems is a really tall order.

-Noel

Does not work on Windows 8 build 9364, so sorry. :unsure:

816a6b69f932.jpg

Read the release note...

--> works for compatible udwm.dll (6.2.9200.16420) only, in other case it will fallback to the layered windows

--> works for compatible dwmcore.dll (6.2.9200.16433) only

--> works for compatible dwmcore.dll (6.2.9200.16433) only and it probably becomes unusable with future Windows updates

--> works for compatible shell32.dll (6.2.9200.16496) only when injected into explorer.exe

Features marked as "works for compatible DLL only" may work for different versions too but only if it contains expected function on the same address. These features won't probably work under 32-bit version because I was not able to read the addresses yet. It can be read in debug.log whether the certain feature is enable or failed due to assembly mismatch.

BTW, works great on Windows 8 x64 w/ Media Center, I noticed a little glitch in the initial run, but its running fine now. Got transparency and blur without using the new NATIVE BLUR function.

Edited by Rayn19

I see no evidence of non-transparency when starting a window.

I take that back. I do see a very brief time where the title isn't colored when starting a window. It might be just not filled, I'm not sure.

I checked my Windows 7 system and it seems to bring in the Aero Glass effect with the window as it fades in and tilts forward.

I wonder whether duplicating ALL those things on ALL possible systems is a really tall order.

-Noel

I've tested this before and from my tests Windows 7 did not do that. The fade in animation did not have glass, it's just very difficult to tell due to the extra layers of sheen and shine from the visual style.

Its turn out, the blur was from the previous version (v0.7), I was using AGTweaker so v0.7 was still loaded. When I completely removed it and tried v0.8, I only got transparency. Used NATIVE BLUR function, it worked but its glitch-y. The glitch is not visible in any screenshots.

Just a technical thing -> multi-monitor fix + delayed blur on new windows + non-working blur effect seem to be three connected things. I know that it does not help much but maybe someone gets an idea. DWM has two different render targets - I would call them surface RT and display RT. Display RT target is that one which you see on your screen and everything is rendered to. Surface RT is used for rendering e.g. window-open animation (etc.) and then it is rendered into display RT (this is the reason why there is no blur on animation and a while after, because there are no background data when window is rendered at that time). Now we must find a reason why your display RT target is marked as surface (i.e. it has been created with the flag D3D10_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE).

The previous version worked because I checked for surface and RT resolution (and that's why multimonitor didn't work). Now I can't check the resolution anymore, so I must find a bit different solution.

Native mode does not perform any check. That's why the frame is completely black during opening.

Could you provide your debug logs please?

Read the release note...

--> works for compatible udwm.dll (6.2.9200.16420) only, in other case it will fallback to the layered windows

--> works for compatible dwmcore.dll (6.2.9200.16433) only

--> works for compatible dwmcore.dll (6.2.9200.16433) only and it probably becomes unusable with future Windows updates

--> works for compatible shell32.dll (6.2.9200.16496) only when injected into explorer.exe

Features marked as "works for compatible DLL only" may work for different versions too but only if it contains expected function on the same address. These features won't probably work under 32-bit version because I was not able to read the addresses yet. It can be read in debug.log whether the certain feature is enable or failed due to assembly mismatch.

Oh, snap! You're right I have udwm.dll ver. 6.2.9200.16384.