Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

I already wrote about this some time before. All the versions are not intended for regular usage. And it seems to me really stupid that many people install this software and instead using it for preview/testing, they start searching for the way how to remove background console window or skip startup dialog. Ok, so I removed the console window and added a thing to promptly inform them that this is really not for regular usage. If you want to use it for customizing your computer then it is not intended for you - do not use it and wait for final version. It is very simple, does the message box nag you? Then there is something wrong. And it's the fact that you probably use it for customizing your production system and not for testing/preview. If you use this piece of software for the intended usage then there is absolutely no reason why the message box should bother you. Someone complained that it makes impossible to play games because the message box kills the game. Ok, it's bad, but why you use experimental software while playing the games? It's illogical.

i use it as is - the effect is good - i dont want rounded corners or any of the other mods others are trying - fine if they want them - but for me - whilst i accept its experimental it works - the effect on the theme i use is all i want - it may not suit others but for me this could be a release version - release it as is and then build from there or let those who want do their own thing

over time add to - change - improve - look at the startisback model - i did not find that until about version 1.4 - that worked - it was commercial at that point - people knew it was not perfect but accepted it would be updated and improved

if you wait for the perfect piece of software you will never release it - there will will always be - what it - or i wonder what would happen - they are for version 2 or 3

so wrap it up - let those who are happy with it as it is have a working version - free or paid for and call it version 1 - people will be happy with that and look forward to more if it comes - if not that - [i would suggest] - will also be fine

add to that i would guess you are not the only developer doing this - others may not have made their work public - but you have shown it can be done - if you do not take advantage of that you will be left with a good idea and nothing much else - others will release their solution before you and you will have little if nothing - there is no prize for and generally nobody remembers who was second

Edited by adacom

Someone complained that it makes impossible to play games because the message box kills the game. Ok, it's bad, but why you use experimental software while playing the games? It's illogical.

How do you propose I benchmark the performace hits? It doesn't kill the game often, but it returns to desktop and not too many games like that. The popup message is too common. IIRC it's every hour which is just overkill. Otherwise I had zero problems with the 0.7 therefore I started to use it. Then next day popups everywhere. I would have no problems with it if it was 0.9 so I'd know it's close to final, but it's not :}

I really can't stand 8's ugliness and you did a great job making dwm work as close to 7's did and it looks so gooood. :thumbup

Edited by Blackbird256

Someone complained that it makes impossible to play games because the message box kills the game. Ok, it's bad, but why you use experimental software while playing the games? It's illogical.

How do you propose I benchmark the performace hits?

That could, of course, be judged in just a few minutes of game play.

(This is directed to all who are complaining about the pop-up messages)

You want to encourage Big Muscle to complete this product and make your computing life better? Let him do his good work without trying to hurry him up or tell him what to do!

And most of all thank him for applying his considerable talent to undoing Microsoft's spiteful changes to the Windows desktop and making it usable again.

-Noel

I already wrote about this some time before. All the versions are not intended for regular usage. And it seems to me really stupid that many people install this software and instead using it for preview/testing, they start searching for the way how to remove background console window or skip startup dialog. Ok, so I removed the console window and added a thing to promptly inform them that this is really not for regular usage. If you want to use it for customizing your computer then it is not intended for you - do not use it and wait for final version. It is very simple, does the message box nag you? Then there is something wrong. And it's the fact that you probably use it for customizing your production system and not for testing/preview. If you use this piece of software for the intended usage then there is absolutely no reason why the message box should bother you. Someone complained that it makes impossible to play games because the message box kills the game. Ok, it's bad, but why you use experimental software while playing the games? It's illogical.

It's illogical? Maybe they wanted to see if the lag in game is solved?

I know that it's not intended for regular use, but why exactly is it a problem if someone wants to use it that way? Isn't that kind of the point of beta testing, for people to see how it does in real world use so you know what needs to be fixed? But while the popup is an issue, its actual problems will not be as noticed until the final version when it is supposed to be finished.

I hope this will not become shareware or not free. That would sadden me :-(

Hi..

I tried Versin 0.5 and with a low colour-intensity I get blured transparent windows. Ok... that worked. Version 0.7 does not work... It does not work, because it doesn t load at start-up. Why I don t know?! Path and all is correct!!! But my Windows doesn t load it! ... AWTweaker 1.21 doesn t work, too. Apply, half second blank sreen and ... nothing!

You know why it does not load? Solutions for me?

Edited by mrdiego

It's illogical? Maybe they wanted to see if the lag in game is solved?

It is written above. The message box appears approx. once an hour and it is enough time to see whether the game lags or not.

I know that it's not intended for regular use, but why exactly is it a problem if someone wants to use it that way? Isn't that kind of the point of beta testing, for people to see how it does in real world use so you know what needs to be fixed? But while the popup is an issue, its actual problems will not be as noticed until the final version when it is supposed to be finished.

I hope this will not become shareware or not free. That would sadden me :-(

Sorry for this, but I have approx. ten years experience that people does not want to test anything. They want to use it for free, nothing more and when some problem appears they starts shouting that the software is sh*t and think that I fix the bug in 5 minutes and send them fixed version immediately. That's my experience and unfortunately this software confirmed it again :( you can read this topic and you find people complaining in caps lock many times about some problem and if I tell them that I have not found a solution yet, they complain again and again... The popup is an issue only if you don't want to test anything - or do you thing that user who downgrades to old "popup-less" version wants to test anything? It makes no sense to report already fixed bugs :wacko:

There are given some conditions of the software usage. If you agree with them, use it. If you don't agree, don't use it. Simple! If you are trying to find a way how to use it against the given conditions then it is same as using cracked software.

Hi..

I tried Versin 0.5 and with a low colour-intensity I get blured transparent windows. Ok... that worked. Version 0.7 does not work... It does not work, because it doesn t load at start-up. Why I don t know?! Path and all is correct!!! But my Windows doesn t load it! ... AWTweaker 1.21 doesn t work, too. Apply, half second blank sreen and ... nothing!

You know why it does not load? Solutions for me?

Maybe it is problem that you have UEFI secure boot enabled? No solution for it yet :-(

i am perfectly happy to test anything - but its a two way street - the user must be happy with what he sees as well - as things are you seem to be missing the point - the popup is intrusive - on startup fine - full screen if you want - a dos window in the background - again fine - but something jumping out every hour is too frequent - imo - that disagrees with yours - then again fine - but if you need testers you need them on your side surely - and quite a few here are not

like i said earlier - you cannot be the only programmer doing this and if you want to get yours out first you need to do that soon i would guess - launch it - at whatever price - with things like this people know and accept it will improve over time - i sight startisback again for that model - that has grown - it has i would guess a good base - and people once having bought it whatever the cost will stick wit it

you have your plan - with respect it seems wrong to me - if something came out tomorrow and there has to be a possibility then all your work will be for very little

Maybe it is problem that you have UEFI secure boot enabled? No solution for it yet :-(

So I have to disable de UEFI secure boot? ... Ok I will try... Windows and this limitations. :-/

Not perfect glass but it looks good...

Not the SAME glass as Windows 7, but after several days testing it's really starting to grow on me... I might be starting to like this even better than Windows 7's flavor...

ScreenGrab_W8_04_14_2013_141154.png

-Noel