Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

HKLM...DWM key is not in Win8 by default because you are not supposed to touch it. It is intended for global technicals parameters only. All possible keys are available in HKCU but still.. it is better to adjust colorization settings in Control panel itself :yes:

OK, thanks ;-)

Just updated the GUI, it creates registry keys for you if you have some trouble creating them yourself: http://msfn.org/board/topic/162036-/

..and thanks also ;-)

Worked perfectly on my x64 VM, didn't have to change any settings from the last version, just edited the reg file and logged out and then logged in and working 100%, no noticeable lag, no random crashing when opening start menu (with SIB) as I was getting in all previous versions, only thing I have noticed so far is if you restart explorer (using a right click context shortcut) the whole screen is blurred for a second, I was just wondering though if you plan on making blur and rounded corners optional in your final release, I love that you have found a way to bring back all these features but personally I prefer no blur at all and have it disabled in Windows 7 on explorer windows anyway.

Also one other question, with that registry setting for rounded corners, is there any way to reverse that effect and make corners square in Windows 7?

Here's a preview of mine with a Windows 7 theme I imported, made changes to the fram to make it square but I guess I can have rounded again now as well thanks to you :)

v8jv9g.jpg

Worked perfectly on my x64 VM, didn't have to change any settings from the last version, just edited the reg file and logged out and then logged in and working 100%, no noticeable lag, no random crashing when opening start menu (with SIB) as I was getting in all previous versions, only thing I have noticed so far is if you restart explorer (using a right click context shortcut) the whole screen is blurred for a second, I was just wondering though if you plan on making blur and rounded corners optional in your final release, I love that you have found a way to bring back all these features but personally I prefer no blur at all and have it disabled in Windows 7 on explorer windows anyway.

Also one other question, with that registry setting for rounded corners, is there any way to reverse that effect and make corners square in Windows 7?

Is there any possibility (i.e. registry key) to disable blur and leave transparency only in Windows 7? If yes, then this settings must work here too (and I just don't respect that settings), but no custom settings will be done in D3D...you can still set to D2D mode and set BlurDeviation to zero.

Rounded corners will stay as it is - just simple registry settings, nothing more, nothing less. And yes, it can be modified in Windows 7. Since it is only hooking of CreateRoundRectRgn which is called when window frame is created, then I guess my utility will work in Windows 7 too without any additional modifications (and aero glass won't be touched at all).

Is there any possibility (i.e. registry key) to disable blur and leave transparency only in Windows 7? If yes, then this settings must work here too (and I just don't respect that settings), but no custom settings will be done in D3D...you can still set to D2D mode and set BlurDeviation to zero.

Rounded corners will stay as it is - just simple registry settings, nothing more, nothing less. And yes, it can be modified in Windows 7. Since it is only hooking of CreateRoundRectRgn which is called when window frame is created, then I guess my utility will work in Windows 7 too without any additional modifications (and aero glass won't be touched at all).

Yeah it can be done in windows 7 and in Vista with a registry key.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]

"ColorizationOpaqueBlend"=dword:00000000

"HideBlur"=dword:00000001

Will have to give it a go on 7 and see what happens :)

However, I have noticed that Win8 RTM Color settings control panel sets a bit different values (mainly for ColorizationColorBalance and ColorizationBlurBalance) in registry than Win8 RP which results that D3D mode transparency is not so transparent as once would expect. Maybe someone could rewrite Windows control panel to send better values :-)

What are the default Windows 8 Release Preview values in the registry for what you mentioned (including ColorizationColorBalance and ColorizationBlurBalance)?

The new works fine, but only in D2D mode. The windows doesn't turn transparent in D3D mode, it remains the same as before. All the previous versions with D3D had similar problems. My Laptop runs on Intel HD 3000 adapter, maybe that is the problem?

The new works fine, but only in D2D mode. The windows doesn't turn transparent in D3D mode, it remains the same as before. All the previous versions with D3D had similar problems. My Laptop runs on Intel HD 3000 adapter, maybe that is the problem?

Lower the color intensity in Personalization Menu?

Lower the color intensity in Personalization Menu?

WoW...that worked...why exactly is this the problem? Thank you for the solution.

It depends on used wallpaper, but default wallpaper with roses generates these values:

AfterGlowBalance = 7

BlurBalance = 31

ColorBalance = 62

Color/AfterGlow = 0xaf34bbeb

Thanks a lot! biggrin.gif

popup at boot is fair enough but does it have to be every 30min or whatever - yes its beta but you want feedback - mine will be i am not using it as i guess others will post