Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Worked for me until version 0.3, what happened that version 0.4 and 0.5 doesn't work for me anymore? I'm using with ORelio GUI also and all the options don't seem to work.

I am still using 0.3 as that's the latest one that works for me. Will test each update until it works again :)

Same for me, I have random freezes with 0.4 & 0.5 so I stayed with preview 3 ... I'll try 0.6 as soon as I have some free time !

(Also ... I don't see the point of putting a nag screen every hour unless ... are you plannig to provide the final version as a shareware ? :( )

Ok tested this all day. I understand the reason for the popup every hour. But I would be very interested to see how the boot up works without it. Perhaps still activate, but delay the popup for 3 minutes or something. I have an auto login setup, and it just ocmpletely bypasses the login screen... not that I need to see it :) (on a black screen the popup appears then the desktop appears - actually that might be even quicker than the usual welcome screen to get to desktop so perhaps its an advantage in disguise :D )

As far as the glass effect goes, it is very nice. There are no artifacts 90% of the time. Only apps I've seen any artifact is paint.net and 3dmark, but, thats almost nothing really. And does it seem even glassier in this version? I think its looking very nice indeed :D

I think that the border of the windows looks better now. The defined black line is a nice touch. I did not notice it in previous versions, so now its just more obvious. Of course it was always there.

Oh, and I know there is some demand for rounded windows. Personally, I like the square windows. See, the Aerolite visual theme in Windows 8 is nice apart from the default colours and lack of transparency. Or perhaps I've grown accustomed to the square windows. Either way, the current setup is how I like it. (I guess I am ok moving away form the Windows 7 theme).

And I see that the Win7 Theme previously posted had the square windows too. It looks very nice in the screenshots with the transparency. I still dont trust UXTheme enough to keep it always installed so do people using it every have problems booting these days?

Glad to see this resolved. Another thing that might not be importnant, but when I start the loader it makes everything very dark and then leaves black artifacts on start button image and tray bar.

http://i.imgur.com/0Ug2D5r.png

When I click the OK button everything is normal again, but I find it odd it does that.

Hey, could you tell me what theme you are using? Thank you!

It's the Win7Theme that was discussed in the last pages

http://xxinightxx.deviantart.com/art/Windows-7-Vs-REV-D-350491112

Ohh, thank you! (Sorry for being too dumb to make proper researches ;3)

V0.6...

Caused black screen - but that's cured by deleting the DeviceFeatureLevel key from the registry.

The transparency is fine but...

The "metro" screen has now become transparent - the centre section where the tiles appear is now "see-through" and displays the desktop.

Anything showing in charm bar - settings, wi-fi etc - is completely transparent - only the white text and the outine of the bar is visible. In fact, the charm bar itself is transparent when it opens and only becomes solid when you move the pointer over it.

Dragging windows is very jerky.

StartIsBack start menu becomes almost totally transparent - that's cured by disabling transparency in SiB's settings.

AERO GLASS FOR WIN8 PREVIEW 6

It works great but the app still don't like my GPU idle clock profiles, it lags. Forcing a fixed gpu profile and ignoring the idle clocks is not a good option but the lag will disappear, for now.

If you open more than ten windows in explorer, then you grab a window and move it over the other windows you will notice a big lag, but this can be fixed by closing some windows. Btw, loaded the glass with the system.

The "metro" screen has now become transparent - the centre section where the tiles appear is now "see-through" and displays the desktop.

Anything showing in charm bar - settings, wi-fi etc - is completely transparent - only the white text and the outine of the bar is visible. In fact, the charm bar itself is transparent when it opens and only becomes solid when you move the pointer over it.

post-373773-0-60041800-1364442898_thumb.

Here you go, and here's a bonus screenshot of the search page.

Do you use any special settings for your Start screen? I have default settings and have no problems.

No patches, hacks or themes here. The only application I have that in any way interacts with "metro" is StartIsBack and I've disabled and uninstalled that to check - made no difference.

Another odd effect...

On the metro sceen, open the charm bar then open settings - I can see the white icons but everything else is blank. If I then point to the top right of the screen - the charm bar opens over the top of part of the area where the settings options bar should be (that's normal) but when I move the pointer away from it, it remains visible - not selectable but visible - (as if it becomes part of the backdrop but hard to say because the settings "charm bar" is 100% transparent anyway)

Aside from deleting the DeviceFeatureLevel key, I've made no other changes to the registry since V0.5.

And default start screen background ? I know why thic problem can happen but I don't know why it does not happen for me :-/ Don't you use plain colour background for Start screen? It would make sense then.

EDIT: is it ok in Direct2D mode?

Edited by bigmuscle

It's fine in d2d mode.

Just spotted another "symptom" - pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL should open a plain-coloured screen with the various sign-out/switch-user type options. That screen is also totally transparent.

On the metro screen (and I'm just using bog-standard metro - no tweaks or add-ons) the screen itself is a plain, single backgound colour with the patterned areas at the top and bottom just being two solid strips. Those patterned areas are fine - it's the section across the middle where the tiles appear that is just the plain colour that is transparent (or at least, being drawn with whatever was in that location on the desktop). The side-bar menus on the metro screen - such as settings - and the CTRL/ALT/DEL screen are also drawn using that single backdrop colour and those are all 100% transparent.

I don't know the techie answer but in basic terms, it appears to be that backgound colour that is being affected. I've tried chosing a backdrop colour in metro that is completely different to my active and inactive borders on the desktop - just in case it was the colour itself that was the key but whatever scheme I chose, the background colour in metro is 100% transparent (note - no blur or variation on transparency).

Also - deleted the old "glasstransparency" key from registry. Didn't remove the problem. In fact, caused a new one. Now, when I'm on the metro screen and open then close the charm bar, the image of the charm bar and the large grey clock remain and become part of the background in that central area of the screen.

Ok, I was able to reproduce it for some cases and it is the same problem as with StartIsBack. It is fixed now (i will publish it soon) with one minor problem - this procedure is also used for taskbar colorization. However, the blur shader includes colorization too which results that taskbar with blur behind will be colorized twice (and thus the transparency will be very low). I don't know any correct solution for this (except checking the screen coordinates to be colorized and compare them with taskbar position)