Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Great work bigmuscle.

Thanks for the extra download links. Found nothing happened when I ran DWMLoader.exe, but then decided to put all the files in C:\DWM\ and it started fine - for some reason it wouldn't run from C:\Users\Me\Downloads

I had a problem with the scrollbar at the side of Internet Explorer being garbled black and white squares, but after signing out and signing back in again this has gone back to normal.

Now the main things I want back from Win 7 are:

1) that sort of white glow behind the title text of windows, which makes it easy to read the title text despite transparency in Win 7

2) rounded corners for windows

3) shadow round edge of window

4) glowing buttons (close, minimise, maximise)

I understand these come from the theme rather than this program. Can anyone recommend a theme (with DL link if possible) that will bring these back?

Or, I was happy with the official Win 7 Landscapes theme that came installed with Win 7; is there any way to move this across to Win 8?

Thanks!

1 + 3 are related to the visual style, and you can get them simply by downloading a new one, and are unrelated to what bigmuscle is doing. The landscapes theme is also just a theme you can copy over from Windows 7, no fuss. Colors, wallpapers, everything. I've been pretty surprised about the number of people requesting rounded corners. Personally I always hated them :). The moment I found a theme that squared away all the UI elements in Windows 7 I was so happy. To each his own, I suppose.

It turns out that glowing caption buttons are also from the visual style since someone else on this thread was able to do it.

Oh interesting, I didn't know that. I might have to go play with that :)

constantly crashes, what to do? Help

Firstly, you should update to the latest version because your crashlog comes from the version which was not generating crashlog properly. Then, if you do, don't use Win7 theme. It is known to crash.

1 + 3 are related to the visual style, and you can get them simply by downloading a new one, and are unrelated to what bigmuscle is doing. The landscapes theme is also just a theme you can copy over from Windows 7, no fuss. Colors, wallpapers, everything. I've been pretty surprised about the number of people requesting rounded corners. Personally I always hated them :). The moment I found a theme that squared away all the UI elements in Windows 7 I was so happy. To each his own, I suppose.

I am not absolutely sure, but it seems that rounded corners comes from visual theme too. At least, the theme Win7forWin8 somehow achieves rounded corners on taskbar preview windows. (Therefore, it generates more vertices than my AeroGlass expect and it crashes). But I won't add them to my utility, it would require complicated vertex buffer modification and I have even the problem to modify vertex buffer to extend rendered edges by blur radius :-D

Great work bigmuscle.

Thanks for the extra download links. Found nothing happened when I ran DWMLoader.exe, but then decided to put all the files in C:\DWM\ and it started fine - for some reason it wouldn't run from C:\Users\Me\Downloads

I had a problem with the scrollbar at the side of Internet Explorer being garbled black and white squares, but after signing out and signing back in again this has gone back to normal.

1) that sort of white glow behind the title text of windows, which makes it easy to read the title text despite transparency in Win 7

I understand these come from the theme rather than this program. Can anyone recommend a theme (with DL link if possible) that will bring these back?

Or, I was happy with the official Win 7 Landscapes theme that came installed with Win 7; is there any way to move this across to Win 8?

Thanks!

It turns out that glowing caption buttons are also from the visual style since someone else on this thread was able to do it.

Don't get your hopes up, but there is a possibility that rounded corners might be able to be made with the VS also. I say this because a visual style earlier in this thread was able to achieve this on the thumbnail previews, so it *might* also be possible on the main windows.

Great work bigmuscle.

Thanks!

Don't get your hopes up, but there is a possibility that rounded corners might be able to be made with the VS also. I say this because a visual style earlier in this thread was able to achieve this on the thumbnail previews, so it *might* also be possible on the main windows.

But I don't want rounded corners :). I was referring to the glowing buttons, another thing I don't care much about, but might be nice to play with.

Firstly, you should update to the latest version because your crashlog comes from the version which was not generating crashlog properly. Then, if you do, don't use Win7 theme. It is known to crash.

I am not absolutely sure, but it seems that rounded corners comes from visual theme too. At least, the theme Win7forWin8 somehow achieves rounded corners on taskbar preview windows. (Therefore, it generates more vertices than my AeroGlass expect and it crashes). But I won't add them to my utility, it would require complicated vertex buffer modification and I have even the problem to modify vertex buffer to extend rendered edges by blur radius :-D

Are you saying that this utility will never support rounded corners, and when a theme like that Windows 7 one comes along, it will always crash this? :(

Are you saying that this utility will never support rounded corners, and when a theme like that Windows 7 one comes along, it will always crash this? :(

Can someone please tell me which of the above really exists in a theme? There must be a theme which has glowing buttons at least, right? If there is such a theme, could you please share the download link?

Edited by kyolic

Of course, crash will be fixed in next version. But I do not intend to implement rounded corners directly into my utility.

Hi, Bigmuscle. I am new to this form. I am using the latest preview of you're software, and I cant figure out how to ajust transparency levels. I went to the registry and changed the glass transparency value to 200, and nothing happens. am I not doing something right?

Hi, Bigmuscle. I am new to this form. I am using the latest preview of you're software, and I cant figure out how to ajust transparency levels. I went to the registry and changed the glass transparency value to 200, and nothing happens. am I not doing something right?

You need to set it lower - high numbers = less transparency. Somewhere between 130-170 seems to be pretty decent if the blur level is set to around about 30.

Alternatively, you could try Orelio's AGTweaker - a GUI that lets you adjust the various Aero Glass settings without needing to use the registry - you can download it from - use V1.1.6 with Areo Glass V0.5 and it works very well.

Of course, crash will be fixed in next version. But I do not intend to implement rounded corners directly into my utility.

I very much want to get at least one version without cmd, can even beta.