Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Bigmuscle...

I hope you don't think that I meant any criticism. Reading my last post back, it might come across that way.

What I meant was that I am more than happy to change or configure my laptop to help you get this working the way you want - I have plenty of free time and I'm genuinely blown away by how much time and effort you are putting into this. If I can help by mucking about with a few registry values, you only have to ask - the worst that can possibly happen is that I reinstall Windows on this laptop and that just doesn't bother me.

GTX 650 Ti - once I changed reg to 9100 or 9200 or 9300 it worked fine with your changed files.

I notice NO slow downs. It works flawlessly. I also have dual monitors. Minimizing windows, no problems. Everything is super fast with it on and off.

Thanks for all your work! I look forward to a finished product.

Oh another thing I am noticing on my nVidia card. I get the best results with the 0.4v and the private hook dll when I use D2D mode.

While in D2D mode with transparent window frames, my GPU correctly clocks down to the lower speeds like it did in Windows 7. DWM in Windows 8 keeps the GPU running at full clock speeds. It was never an issue in terms of idle temps but as a strange side effect to the DWM Loader, I get maybe 7 or 8c cooler temps.

Ok its not directly related to this software as such but it can be a nice "feature" if it still happens in the final builds.

Edit: Just to clarify, I get better GPU activity using DWMLoader than I get with it off. Windows 8, by default, does not correctly clock down my GPU like it would in Windows 7. However, with DWMLoader, it works as it did in Windows 7.

Edited by drakenabarion

I need some help. I don't know how you all got v0.4 to work. When I load it up its opaque, SO I go to the regestry editor to look for the registries. I didint find them there. So I made them and set the values like in the picture drakenabarion posted. Still I get no results, as of now I deleted what I entered in the registry editor.

Yes it works but there is considerable amount of lag when minimizing windows.

In 0.4 or in that private build?

In all versions dude, all versions have lag, I don't care if you fix it or not, but just give me an explanation. I told you, to fix the lag I have to make the GPU gaming profile fixed, but who want 50+C GPU temp in idle/desktop mode... This tells me that your pretty app is hunger for GPU resources, I understand, debug version, alpha, etc. but I still want some answers. Thank you.

Sounds more like your drivers aren't properly adjusting power states for the workload. Even if his implementation required 10x the resources and workload of MS's it should not produce a noticeable effect with a GTX 670 - it should be more than powerful enough to run dozens of fullscreen sheets of solid glass on top of each other without a hiccup. The problem is very likely on your end (drivers or profiles you made) since very few others seem to have the issue on what I would imagine to be less powerful hardware, unless everyone in this thread has a GTX680. I had no problem running his glass implementation from 0.3 on my 6950 and it showed almost no GPU utilization and near idle temperatures. And your GTX 670 should be faster than my 6950.

I have the latest drivers, clean installation, no GPU custom profiles as I already said, the lag occur only with the low profiles, idle/dekstop... Forcing a higher profile will fix the problem but I don't like the idea of running a high profile in idle/desktop... I have no idea why I want so much the Aero but after a few weeks of using Win8 I couldn't find anything special so I'm thinking about going back to Win7, idk.

Edited by Tusticles

With all these updates I think it would help everyone if you could add your updated versions to the console.

When I launch DWMLoader.exe it reads Win8 v0.3 not v0.4

and then to dwm.exe to - THIS IS PREVIEW VERSION ONLY!!! v.04

Thanks, yes.gif

Edited by DosProbie

I need some help. I don't know how you all got v0.4 to work. When I load it up its opaque, SO I go to the regestry editor to look for the registries. I didint find them there. So I made them and set the values like in the picture drakenabarion posted. Still I get no results, as of now I deleted what I entered in the registry editor.

Did you check the colour intensity setting in the Windows' "Personalisation" settings? If that's set to maximum, you get solid borders - it needs to be lowered a bit for transparency to start showing up. Set the slider to about halfway and then play around with it until you get the right balance of colour and transparency.

Doesn't work on my Windows 8 64bit system, tried running it in administrative mode but still no luck, the window pops up saying Close this window to exit aero glass effect. Yet there is no Aero glass effect. Will attach screenshot.

post-374943-0-46426200-1362224928_thumb.

Edited by Reddax

Doesn't work on my Windows 8 64bit system, tried running it in administrative mode but still no luck, the window pops up saying Close this window to exit aero glass effect. Yet there is no Aero glass effect. Will attach screenshot

Try to change the DeviceFeatureLevel registry key to 9100 (DirectX 9.1)

You can do this either with regedit or with the GUI (link in my signature)

Edited by ORelio

Doesn't work on my Windows 8 64bit system, tried running it in administrative mode but still no luck, the window pops up saying Close this window to exit aero glass effect. Yet there is no Aero glass effect. Will attach screenshot

Try to change the DeviceFeatureLevel registry key to 9100 (DirectX 9.1)

You can do this either with regedit or with the GUI (link in my signature)

I was having similar issue til I added the .reg file before install..biggrin.gif

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;DWM AERO SETTINGS - Sets Device Feature Level to DirectX 9.3
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
"BlurDeviation"=dword:00000014
"Composition"=dword:00000001
"DeviceFeatureLevel"=dword:00009300
"DisableDebugLog"=dword:00000000
"GlassTransparency"=dword:0000006a
"IsOnStartup"=dword:00000001
"UseDirect2DRendering"=dword:00000001

Working great for me and seems better with direct 3D, not sure what everyone else is complaining about but it worked for me right off the bat, using VM Ware, not sure if that makes any difference or not.

I know this may be a little off topic but for those of us using Google Chrome and want a aero glass you can install the MaxDark Aero Theme

at : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/maxdark-theme-aero/mapjapllioihmnbmmbflnndnmambmbpl

Then launch Aero Glass , see my screen shot below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93612079@N03/