Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Bigmuscle. I love you for this application. Win8 finally looks like it should. In preview 0.2 I had problems with CPU usage by Explorer. Version 0.3 works flawlessly. No increased CPU/GPU usage. Gadgets window looks good (but it has 2 problems - gadget selection and expandable description don't work). It even fixed the ObjectDock option to enable blur behind. You are my master!

Untitled_2_jpg_750x750_q85.jpg

lol your desktop doesn't look like windows 8 anymore it looks like windows 7

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

I have always cried for the Glass feature on Windows 8. Was pretty disappointed when the developing version was stopped by Microsoft, (China Forum using Tihiy's Win7ExplorerforWin8).

You just brought my dream back to life :D

THANKS A LOT and keep up the good job!

Just signed up because of this thread!

Can't thank you enough for bringing Aero Glass to Windows 8 as this is the only reason I chose not to upgrade..

Found a few issues though while testing in VMware, it seems to be really hit and miss when it chooses to work and after I install programs such as Start8 and or Decor8 it breaks the DWMLoader and does not load the Glass feature once ether of these programs are installed.

I can run the Loader while installing Start8 and glass stays...until a reboot :/

Oh! and one last thing there are two graphical bugs ive noticed.. the Gadgets menu (when installed) doesn't respond but is usable and UAC prompts seem to act funny as you drag them.

Hope you can fix the issues above so i can move to W8 :)

Ive attached a debug log for you..would have attached screenshots but i cant upload more than 500k..debug.txt

Thanks

Bigmuscle. I love you for this application. Win8 finally looks like it should. In preview 0.2 I had problems with CPU usage by Explorer. Version 0.3 works flawlessly. No increased CPU/GPU usage. Gadgets window looks good (but it has 2 problems - gadget selection and expandable description don't work). It even fixed the ObjectDock option to enable blur behind. You are my master!

Hey , I notice you are using a modified visual style..right? Please tell me where to download it, thanks!

Hey , I notice you are using a modified visual style..right? Please tell me where to download it, thanks!

If I may ask, whcih visual style is that? I like the flatter look but with decent min/max/close buttons :).

http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Bordered-Captions-for-Windows-8-351741144

:)

no, this is preview version which is not intended for regular usage

People just don't seem to get that. I swear, the same questions have been asked on almost every single page of this topic.

@bigmuscle and MSFN have landed a nice mention on a major tech news site:

Get Aero back in Windows 8

Way to go! :thumbup

--JorgeA

It's nice to get coverage and notice but with that comes negativity. A poster on that article is already calling it malware:

Because of the way this hack works it means the author can pretty much do anything he wants like, take screenshots of your banking information and other PII, if he wanted to. How much did the author of this malware pay you to write this piece of s*** article?

Or it could just be some Microsoft employee spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

there will always be negativity, and its true there is POTENTIAL for the user to take screenshots... but processing whats on screen is required for the task at hand... many programs require access that could potentially be used to compromise the system..., its all on trust :P

Unfortunately, there are people out there who enjoy spoiling anything and everything for other people. Mention start menues or aero glass and a load of them will appear demanding that you justify wanting to use them and where that is doomed to failure - as it increasingly is - they resort to such tactics as implying ill-intentions on the part of the developer.

In the case of aero glass, I can justify it (for me, at least) - I find that the choice of bulky, opaque titlebars in W8 coupled with the fact that they are lacking in any texturing or distinct edges or shadows makes them more diffcult to tell apart than they ever have been in the past. It's like cutting-up a piece of white paper and placing the bits on top of another piece of white paper then trying to spot them - and the situation is not helped by the fact that the unselected bars are all the same anaemic colour and the active bars need to be pale for the immutable black titles to be readable.

In other words, adding (or returning) transparency to Windows is not purely and only about cosmetics - it has an ergonomic value and anything that shaves even a fraction of a second off one of the most performed actions in a GUI will give a feeling of greater speed across the entre system.

Short version - that "snapshot" comment was pure troll - note he doesn't specifically say that bigmuscle is doing anything of the sort and doesn't explain how to detect or prevent it happening, he just shouts his random scarey-wary muck then runs away giggling to himself that he's outsmarted the geeks.