Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Well, just tried this.

Firefox is constantly flickering, I am unable to use it.

Windows drawing is VERY slow (like software-based DCE in Longhorn 4066/4074).

Sometimes it makes all other windows flickering for a moment.

My OS is Win8 x64 Pro Retail.

Debug log is attached.

debug.7z

Yes, it is slow, because it writes to debug log very often ;-)

Ad firefox. Do you use any plugins? If yes, could you disable them (if possible). I don't use FF at all, but I tried installing clean version and it works without any problems.

Just a message to everyone: if everything is working correctly for you then uploading debug log is useless ;-) it is helpful only in situations when you don't see the blur, crashes etc.

Edited by bigmuscle

Ad firefox. Do you use any plugins? If yes, could you disable them (if possible). I don't use FF at all, but I tried installing clean version and it works without any problems.

Just a message to everyone: if everything is working correctly for you then uploading debug log is useless ;-) it is helpful only in situations when you don't see the blur, crashes etc.

Awesome work, but I'm getting a lot of lags due to the debug version.

Could you maybe upload a sperate version without the log writing?

Awesome work, but I'm getting a lot of lags due to the debug version.

Could you maybe upload a sperate version without the log writing?

He probably won't do that until he can resolve some of the problems people are having. I've come across some queer behaviour with iTunes: the contents of the iTunes window are not displayed, only the border is drawn.

Just a question, has anyone tried with pure Direct3D 11.0 or 11.1 graphic card and can confirm that it works properly for him? I just want to know whether DWM uses D3D 10.1 for windows drawing in all situations or it is just for compatibility reasons.

It works properly for me.

Just a question, has anyone tried with pure Direct3D 11.0 or 11.1 graphic card and can confirm that it works properly for him? I just want to know whether DWM uses D3D 10.1 for windows drawing in all situations or it is just for compatibility reasons.

It works properly for me.

Nice, if you look into the log file, what is your FeatureLevel on line beginning with D3D11CreateDevice ?

He probably won't do that until he can resolve some of the problems people are having. I've come across some queer behaviour with iTunes: the contents of the iTunes window are not displayed, only the border is drawn.

Is iTunes application downloadable anywhere for free so I can test it?

Hello,

thanks for the demo it works perfectly for me. No blinking windows.

It's a bit laggy when lots of windows are opened but otherwise, nothing special.

here is my D3D11CreateDevice line in my log :

D3D11CreateDevice (DriverType = 0, Software = 0, Flags = 169, FeatureLevel = B000, device = 0xEC05E398)

Just one thing, would it be possible not to display the popup "Preview Only!!" ? (And the console window ?)

It's a bit annoying if I put the application on windows startup :/

Anyway, good job! I registered expressly to post a reply to your thread :)

PS: iTunes can be downloaded from there : http://www.apple.com/itunes/

I can confirm that the iTunes window is totally unvisible, there is just a slight shadow over the window edges showing that itunes window is opened

here is a screenshot: http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8339/itunesshadow.jpg

Edited by ORelio

Just one thing, would it be possible not to display the popup "Preview Only!!" ? (And the console window ?)

It's a bit annoying if I put the application on windows startup :/

No, it is not possble. This preview is not intended for regular use.

OK, I'll wait for the final version. Good luck for the bug hunting :hello:

So that's not possible to skip the message box... Unless...

//Some C# code

static class Program
{
[STAThread]
static void Main()
{
Toolbox.VolumeMute(); //This will mute the "Ding" sound
Process.Start(new ProcessStartInfo("C:\\DWM\\DWMLoader.exe")); //Launch the app
Thread.Sleep(100); Toolbox.closewindow("DWMLoader"); //Skip the dialog by closing it
Thread.Sleep(1000); Toolbox.VolumeMute(); //Unmute the volume. Done.
}
}

public static class Toolbox
{
public static void closewindow(string name)
{
Process[] procs = Process.GetProcessesByName(name);
if (procs.Length > 0)
{
if (procs[0].MainWindowHandle != IntPtr.Zero)
procs[0].CloseMainWindow();
}
}

[System.Runtime.InteropServices.DllImport("user32.dll")]
private static extern IntPtr SendMessageW(IntPtr hWnd, int Msg,
IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam);

public static void VolumeMute()
{
Form Form1 = new Form();
SendMessageW(Form1.Handle, 0x319, Form1.Handle,
(IntPtr)0x80000);
}
}

... I'll launch the preview "not intended for regular use" on windows startup anyway ^^

Edited by ORelio

ad iTunes: it does not seem to like its window to be layered and it does not work either with any utility which makes windows transparent (e.g. bLend,WinAeroGlass etc.).

Well, I can live without iTunes, there are other alternatives.

ad iTunes: it does not seem to like its window to be layered and it does not work either with any utility which makes windows transparent (e.g. bLend,WinAeroGlass etc.).

After I have seen your app I decide to pause the development of Winaeroglass. BTW, I am the person behind Winaero :)

-----------

Tried with clean FF

Works properly.

Edited by hb860