File cleanup

FixitUP

I am doing some file cleanup.

I am trying to find out when a program was run last.

For example, I have Microsoft Visual C 2010 x86 Redistributable and would like to know if it is being used at all.

If I don't need it and it's not being used by something else, I will delete it.

I used appwiz.cpl and had it list by last day used, but many programs that have been recently used are not listed.

The programs that windows does track are only looked at for the last 30 days. Can that be increased ?

I could look to see if there are new entries in the program's folders, but that would be very time consuming.

I am looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,

Andy

CharlotteTheHarlot ... thanks for the heads up on LastActivityView by Nirsoft. I use several programs from Nirsoft already but missed that one. Many nice programs at that site.

No problem. It's new for me as well, as I didn't see it until pretty recently. This is a golden one for sure. It uses many sources to compile its forensic history output. Details at the page.

Another great new one is a WiFi sniffer called WiFiInfoView ( Vista and above unfortunately ) which displays a lot of details of what your router ( and your neighbors' routers ) are putting into the air. Obviously it needs to be ran from a computer with WiFi capability. Running this will cause people to examine their own situation and take note of what they are broadcasting and what others can see, and hopefully spend some time configuring their router settings.

CharlotteTheHarlot posted : "Another great new one is a WiFi sniffer called WiFiInfoView (Vista and above unfortunately) which displays a lot of details of what your router ( and your neighbors' routers ) are putting into the air. Obviously it needs to be run from a computer with WiFi capability. Running this will cause people to examine their own situation and take note of what they are broadcasting and what others can see, and hopefully spend some time configuring their router settings."

For anyone running XP that might be interested ... he (Nirsoft) does mention that WirelessNetView v1.43 can be used with XP and up (Windows XP/Vista/7/2008) : Windows XP is not supported because this tool is based on new Wi-Fi API that doesn't exist on Windows XP. If you want to get wireless networks information on Windows XP, you can use the WirelessNetView utility.

WirelessNetView v1.43 - Wireless Network Monitoring Tool

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_view.html

Edited by duffy98