Slipstreaming updates in Boot.wim

I know that this is possible using Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool (DISM). However, I have some questions about this:

Are the updates installed offline or applied when Windows PE starts?

Can I install updates for all the included in the boot.wim image system components?

Finally, is there a way to install these updates after applying boot.wim to hdd - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722114(v=ws.10).aspx describes it - and then recapture boot.wim?

Edited by harkaz

What updates are you putting in the boot.wim? I've only installed a hotfix to a boot.wim ONCE.

Thanks for the answer. The truth is I don't want something specific to import :blushing: I just checked windows pe 3.0 files version and as it is the SP1 original 6.1.7601.17514 but not the latest one (6.1.7601.17965) I wondered if there was a way to update Windows PE files to that version (I have already updated install.wim to 6.1.7601.17965 by including all post-sp1 updates).

Any help would be grealy appreciated.

harkaz

The WinPE 3.1 is available as a download in the WAIK for Windows 7 SP1. Its really a waste for the most part. Is there a specific reason why you want the WinPE 3.1? I skipped it entirely and went from WinPE 3.0 directly to WinPE 4.0. Whatever new goodies were available in 3.1 didn't really effect anything I was doing, so I skipped it.

Alternatively, you could make a copy of a Windows 7 SP1 DVD's boot.wim, which should be a 3.1 and then change the winpeshl.ini or whatever thing launches Setup.exe by default.

The WinPE 3.1 is available as a download in the WAIK for Windows 7 SP1. Its really a waste for the most part. Is there a specific reason why you want the WinPE 3.1? I skipped it entirely and went from WinPE 3.0 directly to WinPE 4.0. Whatever new goodies were available in 3.1 didn't really effect anything I was doing, so I skipped it.

WinPE 4.0 can cause problems when integrating drivers for Windows 7 \Windows Server 2008 R2 (see this post: ).

I found out that dism fully installs the updates offline - only the applicable ones.

One can delete package uninstall files to minimize boot.wim size - something critical because boot.wim is loaded in RAM.

@harkaz,

So what all did you do, exactly, to get a fully up to date boot.wim for use with Win7 and 2008?

Cheers and Regards

Visit this link:

http://www.2shared.com/document/_68-DNZ2/GUIDE.html

It is a new PDF that contains instructions for slipstreaming post-sp1 updates to Windows 7 disk.

Read the part about winRE.wim and boot.wim slipstreaming

Cheers

harkaz

Edited by harkaz