NIC and WPA Votes

xmf

Sooooo.. What your saying, in essence here, is that your just wasting everyone's time here since you have 3 levels of redundancy and apparently don't care about serials and activation?

If your not worried about the serial then you are wasting yours and everyone's time in this thread....

No, check my first post and the title of this thread. It's not as if I opened a thread looking for advice on how to find a key and then refused that advice. In fact, my original question, having to do with what would cause NIC votes to be lost has been lost in the shuffle of people suggesting that I use a keycode finder and my explaining why that is not necessary.

I appreciate the explanation. So, semantics aside, I still don't understand of what use either key code you mentioned would be to me, and why members have continued to recommend using a keyfinder. Whether I'm using a clone or an oem restore copy of xp, I will never need a code to activate (unless, as I stated, I try to install on a different motherboard, which I will not be doing). Thanks

Let's try with another analogy from another field. :whistle:

Why a large number of policemen/federal agents (which are issued a Beretta or a Glock 9 mm or a .357 or a .45 by their Administration) would live their lives carrying also a small .38" 2" revolver (or any other kind of smallish gun) on their right or left ankle? :unsure:

Let me think....

You normally have several ways:

• clone the system
  • IF that goes bad re-install from the original install CD (if available) using EITHER the COA sticker (which surely you DON'T have) or with the key found by the keyfinder (and if with the latter most likely need NOT to reactivate online or by phone)
  • IF that goes bad or the CD/iso is not available then re-deploy through the recovery CD (which is a "particular" kind of "clone") and need NOT to reactivate
  • IF that goes bad re-install from *any* install CD (if available) using EITHER the COA sticker (which surely you DON'T have) or with the key found by the keyfinder (and most likely need to reactivate online or by phone)

You are limiting yourself to one or two of them while you have (still) the possibility of having (IF needed) at least an additional "way out".

jaclaz

I'm not so sure. There is no "original install cd" as this is a mass oem install, and from what I've read, the recovery cd does not prompt for a key, and the key a keyfinder would pull does not work with any non-oem version of windows (without perhaps making mods that I believe one poster on this thread commented on the frowned-upon nature of).

Despite these arguments, I'm obviously no expert and you may very well be right. However, I still believe the three degrees of redundancy I mentioned in post 44 are plenty, honestly. A proven-to-work clone, by itself, (as long as it's kept in a few locations) is enough as far as I'm concerned. In addition to that, I have 2 methods of doing an oem restore that don't require a key (1 onboard and one off). If you and others think it's idiotic that I'm not interested in pursuing more, so be it. Arguing that point will get nowhere, it's just a difference of opinion, and arguing that is not why I started this thread (NIC :hello: ).

I appreciate the explanation. So, semantics aside, I still don't understand of what use either key code you mentioned would be to me, and why members have continued to recommend using a keyfinder. Whether I'm using a clone or an oem restore copy of xp, I will never need a code to activate (unless, as I stated, I try to install on a different motherboard, which I will not be doing). Thanks

Let's try with another analogy from another field. :whistle:

Why a large number of policemen/federal agents (which are issued a Beretta or a Glock 9 mm or a .357 or a .45 by their Administration) would live their lives carrying also a small .38" 2" revolver (or any other kind of smallish gun) on their right or left ankle? :unsure:

Let me think....

You normally have several ways:

• clone the system
  • IF that goes bad re-install from the original install CD (if available) using EITHER the COA sticker (which surely you DON'T have) or with the key found by the keyfinder (and if with the latter most likely need NOT to reactivate online or by phone)
  • IF that goes bad or the CD/iso is not available then re-deploy through the recovery CD (which is a "particular" kind of "clone") and need NOT to reactivate
  • IF that goes bad re-install from *any* install CD (if available) using EITHER the COA sticker (which surely you DON'T have) or with the key found by the keyfinder (and most likely need to reactivate online or by phone)

You are limiting yourself to one or two of them while you have (still) the possibility of having (IF needed) at least an additional "way out".

jaclaz

(1) You have spent WAY longer explaining why you don't want to use a key finder than it would have taken to have gotten and run it.

(2) You could just lie to us and say you did it. (We won't ask what the key is so your secret will be safe.) If your clone goes wrong for any reason and your current system disc gets damaged, then we'll try and give you advice how to reinstall using the previously "found" key. :)

(3) Yes, you're right that we've been more focused on the activation angle (needing some kind of key), but "activation" and/or "key" featured prominently in the first two sentences of your original post.

I'm getting ready to clone my netbook's hdd over to a new Intel SSD (using Intel's included software), and I need to be sure I won't be prompted to reactivate my OEM copy of WinXP. The reason I can't re-verify is because the product key has worn off of Microsoft's sticker :angry:

(4) So to answer what apparently are the only questions you really wanted an answer to (which have already been answered elsewhere in the thread):

[...] if I disable LAN and Wifi in the BIOS, would that affect the vote count?

Yes, AFAIK, and I believe the same is true if you just disable them in Windows.

[...] will simply swapping the hard drive bring my vote count down low enough for XP to prompt for re-activation?

If you swap the disk by doing a true clone, then Windows will not be able to tell that any change has occurred, so No.

Cheers and Regards

I'm getting ready to clone my netbook's hdd over to a new Intel SSD (using Intel's included software), and I need to be sure I won't be prompted to reactivate my OEM copy of WinXP.

I'm still not 100% clear on this issue

Which OEM copy do you use? Whch XP version do you use?

Which hardware do you use?

Do you use XP installed from the netbook manufacturer? XP will stay activated as for 99.999% Nobody can guarentee 100%

BTW OS manufacturer offers: Preserving OEM Pre-Activation when Re-installing Windows XP

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457078.aspx