GIMP (Painter) graphical bug

FlippX

Hey,

it has be a while, and I hope you are all fine, ...but that doesn't mean it's all working..

I have very strange problems with the GIMP...

I have used v. 2.6.10, but it's just the same with v. 2.2.

The software starts as usual and even works without crashing etc...

But there is an unusual graphical glitch:

If you open a new page, there is a tiny yellow/black striped frame around it...(should be)

(Depending on the editing mode maybe green/black stripes)

Now actually this frame seems to be just a filled rectangle that is a little bigger than the page laying beneath it!

Now the problem is, for me it is on top!! That's it...

I can draw something, and see it for that time, but as I release the mouse-button this "frame-rectangle" just goes to the top again...

The funny thing is, that this program was just working fine on an older windows-installation (I could even use some plugins that were said not to be working with w98 ..if I remember correctly...)

I have reinstalled it without any change..

That GUI is some type of extra-software right?!? Could it be IT..? Idk, I'm not really into that matter...

Or maybe I'm missing some important updates?!? But what..

Now is anyone using some graphical software, especially this one with success??? If so, what version would that be..?!

And does anybody know what to do with this bug??

I am helpless..

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Hey,

..I totally forgot about this...

...well, THANK YOU!

You obviously were a little more optimistic than me... And seeing what one is painting usually makes more sense..

I have given up on that, so I just used different software in the meantime, but you made it! Bring out the Gimp again.

I know, -shame on me... :) I didn't think it was so easy..

Now the question is if this was just working in the past, or if it was deactivated for the initial installation?!? To be honest, this time I just installed it over the old files, followed by several un- and reinstalls... maybe I shouldn't have done that...

I'd still be very interested if anyone else had this problem.. or what's your "View/Show Layer Boundary"-state ?

...Gimp 2.8 works??! Did you do anything special to achieve that?

I think it was not working here.. maybe because that machine just uses SSE1... that might have been the reason.

Uhh, that explains alot... thanks!

..The "gsgl"-plugins.. are you shure they don't work with w98???

As far as they already were included in the "Gimp painter 2.6.10"(there definitively has been packed lots of extra-stuff inside), and as long as I remember correctly, I had no problems using them....

At least I'm pretty shure that everything that was shipped with that distro was working just fine!

Most glsl plugins in 2.8 crash with an error message per crashing plugin on gimp startup so I removed all those.

Glsl plugins in 2.6 work fine but they aren't compatible with 2.8.

Not everything fully works in 2.6 either. eg, brush dynamics dialog for example. I couldn't get python plugins running in any version. Can you run python-fu/python plugins with 2.6?

2.6 and 2.8 can be installed at once, they don't overwrite each other's settings and what's really nice about 2.8 is the single window interface. I only use 2.8 now, mostly for using some 3rd party plugins such as but not only, G'Mic, which have no counterpart in other graphic software packages.

The version I now use is 2.8.2 I think but I haven't bothered uploading it since hardly anyone seemed interested by this one, just a couple of downloads and no feedback at all.

I didn't manage to get current 2.8.4 working at all.

Edited by loblo

So what's going to work better?! The 2.8 or the 2.6.10 version?? If eg. the Gsgl-plugins don't work, is there anything else that didn't work in 2.6.10 but does now??

Will it be hard to "patch" the 2.8.x version myself?! And if not so, could you give a brief overview on how to do this..?!

..And if you wonder why noone downloads the software, I'd guess that's because one has to register to download (even for the "free download")... and I do not really want to .. ..and, well I don't have the biggest trust in these sites, but I guess the file is too big for uploading it on this forum!?

Oh and I didn't take a look, but is there a remark somewhere that reminds the people of your Gimp-version?? ..In the "software for w98"-corner, or in case you upload it (..or better the newest version..) again, maybe "stickify" that topic.. otherways it'll just vanish once more. Or is there any good reason not to install this software at all?

-I guess it is and will be the most recent version of a painting-software for w98, so I think this would justify it all.. And if there is a chance to use newer software then only with a new KEX-version. ..but until then...

So what's going to work better?! The 2.8 or the 2.6.10 version?? If eg. the Gsgl-plugins don't work, is there anything else that didn't work in 2.6.10 but does now??

As I've said above the single window interface feature (which doesn't exist in.2.6) is very cool and the glsl plugins didn't bring anything that couldn't be done elsewhere in the program besides being very slow so it ain't a big loss IMO. I don't use 2.6 anymore. You might be of a different opinion however so it's best trying both and see what you prefer.

Will it be hard to "patch" the 2.8.x version myself?! And if not so, could you give a brief overview on how to do this..?!

Well, it consists into spending lots of time with various builds/versions of Gimp and GTK runtime and replacing files until you get something working. Good luck.

..And if you wonder why noone downloads the software, I'd guess that's because one has to register to download (even for the "free download")... and I do not really want to .. ..and, well I don't have the biggest trust in these sites, but I guess the file is too big for uploading it on this forum!?

Yeah I realize I uploaded to 4Shared and that this site requires registration to be able to download from. I'll upload somewhere else next time. Don't be so paranoid about file sharing sites, they don't want to ruin their businesses by tampering with the uploads or have such lax security as to allow hackers to do that. And there are virus scanners such as Clamwin to inspect contents of downloads jn case you'd still be suspicious.

-I guess it is and will be the most recent version of a painting-software for w98, so I think this would justify it all.. And if there is a chance to use newer software then only with a new KEX-version. ..but until then...

It's not because Gimp 2.8 is (perhaps) the most recent paint software running on 9x that it's best you can get. Indeed, Photoshop 7 which runs on vanilla 9x is way more powerful, stable and fast than current Gimp for example. As I've said I run Gimp for some of its scripts and plugins and running the latest (or almost latest) is to make sure newest builds of those plugins such as the amazing G'Mic which gets updated with new stuff all the time., will run in it, compatibility of those with 2.6 is not guaranteed.

Yes, actually this was the necessity to register, that stopped me from downloading. I just realized that I will use it too seldom to register. IrfanView with IrfanPaint plugin is mostly enough for casual graphic editing and I rarely need to perform some more complex editing.