WUD skip already downloaded content?

So I have 2 folders set up:

G:\sandbox\WUD\x86

G:\sandbox\WUD\x64

I have been planning on using WUD to slipstream updates into my Win7 All-In-One ISO for my new ISOSTICK! , and repeat for laughs on 8, Vista, and XP since I will occasionally use them as well.

WUD seems to enjoy crashing at inopportune times, and if I open it back up, it will make me either manually select updates (I'm guessing green = already exists), or re-download all of them! This means, as the months go on, and a couple of updates are added, I will have to figure out what is/isn't already there.

If I'm missing something, please enlighten/tease/harass me as you wish =)

otherwise, think about adding this in?

> Define function to check if update exists, and compare file sizes to see if they match

> check if local file exists where update will be saved

> if false, then exit function and perform update

> else, check to see if file sizes match

> if true, exit function and skip update

> else, delete local file and perform update

> close function

• 4 weeks later...

So I have 2 folders set up:

G:\sandbox\WUD\x86

G:\sandbox\WUD\x64

I have been planning on using WUD to slipstream updates into my Win7 All-In-One ISO for my new ISOSTICK! , and repeat for laughs on 8, Vista, and XP since I will occasionally use them as well.

WUD seems to enjoy crashing at inopportune times, and if I open it back up, it will make me either manually select updates (I'm guessing green = already exists), or re-download all of them! This means, as the months go on, and a couple of updates are added, I will have to figure out what is/isn't already there.

If I'm missing something, please enlighten/tease/harass me as you wish =)

otherwise, think about adding this in?

> Define function to check if update exists, and compare file sizes to see if they match

> check if local file exists where update will be saved

> if false, then exit function and perform update

> else, check to see if file sizes match

> if true, exit function and skip update

> else, delete local file and perform update

> close function

I was wondering regarding similar issues, not a complaint but just discussing about it.

I've chance to download the updates through Wifi only spots and sometimes the connection gets lost and WUD hungs, no problem I restart the program but WUD still keeps track of the latest partially (corrupted) downloaded file, so what I do is I download it again to be safe.

The problem arises because if I choose to download multiple files and Wifi connection gets lost then you can understand I don't know which downloaded file is safe or not so I must download updates one by one to avoid problems.

Isostick in very interesting for portability and usability but very very expensive (add memory cards cost too) and not safe in my opinion.

A burned disc cannot be corrupted by a virus attack but a volatile memory support can.

Many thanks to WUD developer for giving us this beautiful program.

• 1 year later...

???

Any progess so far?

Sure would be nice to just get the new/changed updates, not everything from the beginning of time...

So, you're experiencing the above failure, incomplete/corrupt files due to interrupted internet connection?

If not, then what's the problem?

edit - AH! I see the "problem". WUD doesn't use Checksums so it's unknown if any given download worked properly.

An excerpt from an UL

<updates>  <update id="KB2809289" category="1" publishdate="2013-03-12" article="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2809289">    <title>Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 in Windows XP (KB2809289)</title>    <description>Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it.</description>    <filename>IE8-WindowsXP-KB2809289-x86-ENU.exe</filename>    <url>http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/E/B/2EBBCB78-CB4F-4B0E-868E-FC879DA3436F/IE8-WindowsXP-KB2809289-x86-ENU.exe</url>
This would require a change to both WUD and how the UL is constructed. Not sure if the Developer is interested in the "fix" or not, since it would "break" using any other older UL's, unless a check is made for a Checksum field, in which case the problem would still exist. Please note -many- older UL's exist and haven't been updated for a while.

HTH

Edited by submix8c

• 11 months later...

After reading submix8c's reply, I realized checksums would be absolutley necessary, since MS will "refresh" files and change their content without notice.  No way to catch this without a hash.

But, after again wadeing through the lists vs. my download collection, I'd now be quite happy if just the file names were checked for existance.

We do have the file names and dates (WUDL sets date modified to release date, I think?) or at least the file names in the download folder match the catalog information (i.e. download URL).

Could WUDL just do a quick scan of the target download location(s) and colorize the files that already exist?

(Which would then beg for a button to "select all unmatched" or "unselect all existing" or some such...)

Edited by jmthomas

But, after again wadeing through the lists vs. my download collection, I'd now be quite happy if just the file names were checked for existance.

We do have the file names and dates (WUDL sets date modified to release date, I think?) or at least the file names in the download folder match the catalog information (i.e. download URL).

Could WUDL just do a quick scan of the target download location(s) and colorize the files that already exist?

(Which would then beg for a button to "select all unmatched" or "unselect all existing" or some such...)

This.. Please - absolutely - this.

At the moment, I either need to manually look for all of the newer files or let it dumbly re-download everything.

Option 2 is easier for me, but not exactly kind on the bandwidth :)

A simple "compare file name (and date if it's possible)" option as jmthomas suggests would be fantastic.

• 1 month later...

In version 2.50, it looks like there are green icons and yellow icons.

Now, there are three colours for the icons:

• gray  - I think this means the file is not yet on disk
  • green  - I think this means that it is already downloaded
  • yellow - I think this colour only shows on a category and it means that the category contains a mix of downloaded and not-downloaded items

Also, sometimes the names of the updates are underlined and in blue;

and sometimes they are in black without underlines but when you move the mouse over them, then they turn blue and underlined. (this seems like a bug)

What does this signify?

I wish there was a button for "check all new" to automatically checkmark all non-downloaded items.

Right now I have to click through every category and then check all the ones that are not green (I think).

Edited by bgmCoder