Dire warnings about new JAVA vulnerability

Nomen

I've tried installing recent versions of Java 1.6, following the Wiki instructions (mostly the MSI method, but also the silent method) but without success. I have KexStubs installed with the "GetSystemWow64DirectoryA=z2e120" setting, etc. However, I can't even get 6u30 to install, let alone 6u39.

Here's a typical attempt :

1. Run 'jre-6u30-windows-i586.exe', let it crash and die.

2. Navigate to the "%windir%\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_30" directory.

3. Start 'jre1.6.0_30.msi' ...

4. Installation proceeds to about 75% then fails and does a "roll back".

5. The end.

Running the 6u39 installer version is similar, except that the MSI gives an Error 26011 (Unpacking rt failed), whereas 6u30 gives no explanation. According to the Sun/Oracle information, this means I don't have enough free disk space and to allow for at least 100M - rubbish, I have about 300M free on drive C: (which should not be relevant) and about 2G free on drive E: (which in my case is the installation drive, also where temporary files live and die).

Running the installation executable with the "silent" option is, well, just a more "silent" version of failure.

Anyone have some idea on this? Does the newer Java stuff need a P4+ processor with SSE2 or some such (I'm running a P3)?

Joe.

The error should be logged in your temp folder.

OK, here are the log file contents :

Mon Feb 18 10:56:07 2013

:: MSICheckPendingFileRenameOperations: RegOpenKeyEx() failed with ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND: 2, Error Code: 0

18/2/13 10:56:25 (Error ) Product: Java 6 Update 39 -- Error 26011. Unpacking rt failed.

18/2/13 10:56:28 (Info ) Product: Java 6 Update 39 -- Installation operation failed.

Error 26011. Unpacking rt failed.

=== Logging stopped: 18/2/13 10:56:28 ===

In summary, an "PendingFileRenameOperations" RegOpenKeyEx event occurred at about 10:56:07 and the Error 26011 occurred at about 10:56:25, about 18 seconds later. I also started 'RegMon' just prior. This indicated the "PendingFileRenameOperations" RegOpenKeyEx event at about 18.2s into the capture log, so the Error 26011 must have occurred at about 36s into the capture log. Now, looking at missing keys shown around this time, I see the following :

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts\ScriptsDisabled
0xC1C600F0\WINREG
0xC1C50D40\WINREG
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders\E:\WINDOWS\Installer\
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders\E:\Config.Msi\
0xC1C600F0\CRYPT32
0xC1C50D40\CRYPT32
0xC1C600F0\MSASN1
0xC1C50D40\MSASN1
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLEAUT
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLEAUT\UserEra

So, does anyone have these keys? Alternatively, has anyone succeeded in installing 6u39 without them?

JRE-6u30-windows-i586 does *NOT* need SSE2, and I'm sure of it because I'm running it on an Athlon XP 3000+ Barton (but on Win XP SP3).

Here's what I get from JavaTester:

Thanks, Den! It's a process of elimination, so at least I don't need to wonder about my hardware.

Joe.

Edited by jds

In summary, an "PendingFileRenameOperations" RegOpenKeyEx event occurred at about 10:56:07 and the Error 26011 occurred at about 10:56:25, about 18 seconds later. I also started 'RegMon' just prior. This indicated the "PendingFileRenameOperations" RegOpenKeyEx event at about 18.2s into the capture log, so the Error 26011 must have occurred at about 36s into the capture log. Now, looking at missing keys shown around this time, I see the following :

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts\ScriptsDisabled

0xC1C600F0\WINREG

0xC1C50D40\WINREG

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders\E:\WINDOWS\Installer\

0xC1C600F0\CRYPT32

0xC1C50D40\CRYPT32

0xC1C600F0\MSASN1

0xC1C50D40\MSASN1

So, does anyone have these keys? Alternatively, has anyone succeeded in installing 6u39 without them?

I don't have these keys. I think a problem similar to it I get for example with a Diskeeper light installation (without modifying the msi). Normally the setup makes a rollback, but I can abort it with "alt-strg-del" to use it. Then it's impossible to install Java. I've to undo this installation. Possibly you have a reg entry PendingFileRenameOperations - .  Did you try to delete it? 

I've no problem to install java 39.

I don't have these keys. I think a problem similar to it I get for example with a Diskeeper light installation (without modifying the msi). Normally the setup makes a rollback, but I can abort it with "alt-strg-del" to use it. Then it's impossible to install Java. I've to undo this installation. Possibly you have a reg entry PendingFileRenameOperations - .  Did you try to delete it? 

Thanks for confirming this, schwups. That means it's not these missing keys that are the problem.

As for 'PendingFileRenameOperations', no I don't have this key. It seems to be something the installer checks for very early in the process, and the fact that it continues with most of the installation from that point means it is happy that the key is missing. I suspect it would be less happy if the key was present.

OK, so I've now ruled out the P3 CPU and the missing registry keys as the cause of the non-installation. Progress of sorts.

Joe.

What JRE you do have installed and working? If it is one of the 1.6 versions, you might as well just use MsiX.EXE, a fantastic command-line tool, able to extract files from .msi, .msm and .msp installation files to extract the .msi contents and then put them in place, over the old ones... it's labor intensive, but it might work.

Den, is your link valid? I keep getting the "... could not load the webpage because blogs.msdn.com took too long to respond." error.

It's working now.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

0xC1C600F0\WINREG

0xC1C50D40\WINREG

0xC1C600F0\CRYPT32

0xC1C50D40\CRYPT32

0xC1C600F0\MSASN1

0xC1C50D40\MSASN1

Try: Skip CheckPendingFileRenameOperations action with SuperOrca or Orca. 

What JRE you do have installed and working? If it is one of the 1.6 versions, you might as well just use MsiX.EXE, a fantastic command-line tool, able to extract files from .msi, .msm and .msp installation files to extract the .msi contents and then put them in place, over the old ones... it's labor intensive, but it might work.

Even though I tried with Firefox 3.6.27 on XP, when I try to download that tool, my browser is blocked and demands an upgrade. :realmad:

I fixed it though. Changed the User Agent String to a set of less than complimentary expletives, :whistle: and it let me in. :lol:

Hi Den,

I have 6u7 installed. I've also tried uninstalling this first, but it doesn't help.

MsiX isn't doing too well for me, it extracts about 10 files, some only partially renamed to their final names. AFAIK, MsiX uses the API's of the installed MSI stuff on the system. When that's not working properly, neither does MsiX. At least that's what I've concluded just now. BTW, the MSI stuff on my system does work properly for other MSI files that I've previously installed, it's only this Java stuff that it has issues with.

I wonder what version of 'msiexec.exe' others have, and what KernelEx settings it has? Mine is version 2.0.2600.2 (MD5 = 53223ff3012db1ac5a35cae4720bdd46). I get a different error message depending on what KernelEx compatibility settings I use, but it seems to bomb out at around the same point either way.

Speaking of MD5 hashes, these are the hashes of the files I get after attempting to run the 6u39 installer :

Data1.cab = 4ce133f19d40787a5548a6afcf15541e

jre1.6.0_39.msi = 606aac2b60cf3e37baebd8a744cf300c

Perhaps someone can confirm these are OK (else it would mean the installer extraction process is the problem).

Hi schwups,

I tried this just now (deleted 3 or 4 occurrences). Unfortunately, it didn't help.

It's frustrating, but I don't seem to be the only one having problems with this Java stuff.

Anyway, there's now a new version of this thing - that also won't install for me : 6u41.

Joe.

Hi Den,

I have 6u7 installed. I've also tried uninstalling this first, but it doesn't help.

MsiX isn't doing too well for me, it extracts about 10 files, some only partially renamed to their final names. AFAIK, MsiX uses the API's of the installed MSI stuff on the system. When that's not working properly, neither does MsiX. At least that's what I've concluded just now. BTW, the MSI stuff on my system does work properly for other MSI files that I've previously installed, it's only this Java stuff that it has issues with.

I wonder what version of 'msiexec.exe' others have, and what KernelEx settings it has? Mine is version 2.0.2600.2 (MD5 = 53223ff3012db1ac5a35cae4720bdd46). I get a different error message depending on what KernelEx compatibility settings I use, but it seems to bomb out at around the same point either way.

Speaking of MD5 hashes, these are the hashes of the files I get after attempting to run the 6u39 installer :

Data1.cab = 4ce133f19d40787a5548a6afcf15541e

jre1.6.0_39.msi = 606aac2b60cf3e37baebd8a744cf300c

Perhaps someone can confirm these are OK (else it would mean the installer extraction process is the problem).

Hi schwups,

I tried this just now (deleted 3 or 4 occurrences). Unfortunately, it didn't help.

It's frustrating, but I don't seem to be the only one having problems with this Java stuff.

Anyway, there's now a new version of this thing - that also won't install for me : 6u41.

Joe.

The version number of my msiexec is the same and MD5 (MD5Checker9x) is different.

6A20A72677196CC87E75681524E03773 msiexec.exe, Size 83,456; DATE Modified 26.Jan.2002

Java39:

606AAC2B60CF3E37BAEBD8A744CF300C jre1.6.0_39.msi; Size: 905,728; Date: 4.Feb.2013

Cab: 4CE133F19D40787A5548A6AFCF15541E Data1.cab; 13,211,806;

I think you cleaned your registry, especially the JavaSoft Keys. Make sure that the updater and the Quickstarter is disabled. Your current KernelEX setting in the Core.ini is 0 (DCFG1)? What is listed in the Kstub822.log (stubs.log)?

Version 41 just installed successfully, too.

Edited by schwups

"MSICheckPendingFileRenameOperations: RegOpenKeyEx() failed with ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND: 2, Error Code: 0" isn't the real problem.

Now I also see this in my jusched.log:

Wed Feb 20 11:25:47 2013

:: SetDllDirectory() failed. ErrorCode: 120

Wed Feb 20 11:26:37 2013

:: MSICheckPendingFileRenameOperations: RegOpenKeyEx() failed with ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND: 2, Error Code: 0

Did you verify "[Kernel32.dll] GetSystemWow64DirectoryA=z2e120" with KTree? The function isn't contained in the Kstub822 (Kext first post). You have to add it.

"Error 26011. Unpacking rt failed" is a a widespread problem, not only for ME/98 users. Today 300MB free disk space is very little. Maybe Oracle enlarged the required space?

link

Edited by schwups

"Error 26011. Unpacking rt failed" is a a widespread problem, not only for ME/98 users. Today 300MB free disk space is very little. Maybe Oracle enlarged the required space?

link

I used to have this problem a while back and could never find either the cause or a fix. Now it works again and I don't know why.

There was a workaround however and that was to install the corresponding JDK which installs the JRE as a subset of its installation and whose installer didn't suffer from this issue. Perhaps this still applies today. Worth a try anyway I guess.

Important note from the Oracle-Sun website ...

"This is the last public release of Java 6. No new public updates of Java 6 will be available after February 2013."

Just downloaded these packages ...

jre-6u41-windows-i586.exe ... Webpage ... Direct Download ( for now )

jre-6u41-windows-x64.exe .... Webpage ... Direct Download ( maybe! )

jre-7u15-windows-i586.exe ... Webpage ... Direct Download ( for now )

jre-7u15-windows-x64.exe .... Webpage ... Direct Download ( maybe! )

Note: There does not seem to have been a jre-6u40.

Note: There does not seem to have been a jre-7u14.