Skype 6.1 on Windows 2000

ppgrainbow

So the lovely folks at Microsoft have done it again! Any version of Skype that is older than day old pastries no longer connects to the Skype service. So the patched Skype 5.5 no longer works and trying to sign in brings you that lovely message of how they were so sweet and simply signed you out because your version of Skype is outdated. But never fear! All you have to do is download the latest version and you'll be good to go! That is, of course, until you launch it and find out it doesn't work (obviously!). Their constant excuse is because they want to bring their users a much richer experience with Skype.

Well, Skype was working just fine for me and did exactly what I needed it to do. I keep seeing this as a way to bully people into not just updating their software, but their version of Windows as well. It appears the newest supports XP but how long that will be, nobody knows. I'm sure eventually the plug will be pulled on it and unless you have Windows 7 or newer, you'll be SOL.

Anyway, I tried accessing the site last night and it was experiencing some sort of technical issue so I wasn't able to check this link out up above to see if blackwingcat has already made some sort of update, but browsing his blog yielding nothing, for me anyway. I would check now but being as I'm at work and limited websites work (his is one that I cannot access here), I'm posting this as a heads up and hopefully a solution can be worked out. Changing the Skype version isn't helping but I'm sure there's something coded in there, probably in hex, that needs to be changed because changing the version number still makes the Skype server see it as version 6.18, even though doing about Skype shows 7.33.0.105.

• 2 weeks later...

On Thursday, 23 March, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Tommy said:

So the lovely folks at Microsoft have done it again! Any version of Skype that is older than day old pastries no longer connects to the Skype service. So the patched Skype 5.5 no longer works and trying to sign in brings you that lovely message of how they were so sweet and simply signed you out because your version of Skype is outdated. But never fear! All you have to do is download the latest version and you'll be good to go! That is, of course, until you launch it and find out it doesn't work (obviously!). Their constant excuse is because they want to bring their users a much richer experience with Skype.

Well, Skype was working just fine for me and did exactly what I needed it to do. I keep seeing this as a way to bully people into not just updating their software, but their version of Windows as well. It appears the newest supports XP but how long that will be, nobody knows. I'm sure eventually the plug will be pulled on it and unless you have Windows 7 or newer, you'll be SOL.

Anyway, I tried accessing the site last night and it was experiencing some sort of technical issue so I wasn't able to check this link out up above to see if blackwingcat has already made some sort of update, but browsing his blog yielding nothing, for me anyway. I would check now but being as I'm at work and limited websites work (his is one that I cannot access here), I'm posting this as a heads up and hopefully a solution can be worked out. Changing the Skype version isn't helping but I'm sure there's something coded in there, probably in hex, that needs to be changed because changing the version number still makes the Skype server see it as version 6.18, even though doing about Skype shows 7.33.0.105.

Russians have a patched 6.16 that works

On 3/23/2017 at 8:57 AM, Tommy said:

I haven't tested it yet, but I would assume the web-based (browser-based) version would work with Firefox 48 under Windows 2000. I have not had an opportunity to test it.

https://web.skype.com

According to this April 2016 article, a plug in is no longer required to use the web-based version.

On 3/23/2017 at 8:57 AM, Tommy said:

Skype for the Web works fine on Windows 2000, I just tested it. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate with Windows 2000 Professional in Windows Virtual PC.

To get Skype working in the browser, you should use Firefox 48.0.2. I haven't yet figured out the issue that keeps Firefox 49 from running on Windows 2000.

In order to run Firefox 48, you'll need Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, the Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Security Rollup, and the UURollup v11 from November 30, 2014. Then use the FirefoxPortable 48 installer: http://sdfox7.com/2000/Important_EOL_Updates/FirefoxPortable_48.0.2_English.paf.exe

If you install all of these updates, you'll also be able to run the current version of Adobe Flash Player on Windows 2000.

w2kvpcskype.jpg

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

You're frickin awesome, dude! I wasn't even aware of this method. I just signed in with no issues, now I just have to test it all out and see how it works.

Where there is a will, there is a way. I like using the old OS'es, but I have found Virtual PC to be much more practical than keeping old hardware around for running old software. You can have a (seemingly) unlimited number of VM's, as much space as your host machine's drive can hold.

My host machine is a quad-core HP laptop with an SSD. Installing and running Windows (version insert here) under VPC is extremely fast since it uses the host OS hardware. It also uses the host OS drivers, no need to muck around finding drivers as with a standard OS installation.