Any way of using Windows 2000 with 11GB of RAM?

Bakuchris

Simply put... NO! Period! The Design does NOT allow it!

...and you MUST be referring to the "GA-MA785GMT-UD2H" (up to 16gb) that you listed here. Bet you can't get your Win98 to work on it either. Does your XP Home run with that much :whistle: ? This MoBo was more designed for Windows 7 x64, don't you think? :w00t:

Memory Limits (AGAIN!)...

MAYBE with some kind of "hack" using DataCenter but I seriously doubt it!!! The whole thing about >4GB is that it MUST be a 64-bit OS or it flat will NOT work! There WAS an IA64 version (Itanium).

See this (PAE switch) and it shows SPECIFIC LIMITATIONS for each Win2000 Edition.

P.S. Unless you have Software (other than the OS) that's capable of running above the limit (~4gb) it's kind of pointless, isn't it?

BlackWingCat's modified kernel plus the Gavotte Ramdisk should do nicely, then.

Right. PAE must be enabled and then you should be able to use the remaining RAM as a RAMdisk. I myself have tested only up to 8 GB.

@submix8c Applications like ABBYY FineReader are multi-threaded and each thread uses a lot of memory so there are some scenarios where such a single application can end up using way more memory than 4GB in a 32-bit Windows ;)

Edited by tomasz86

The other question is whether the OP actually needs 8 GB for the system or maybe a larger RAMdisk would be better. I had to sell one of my memory sticks and have now only 4 GB of RAM but before I had 8 GB and was using 4 GB for the system and 4 GB for a RAMdisk. I found it more efficient as the RAMdisk was used for TEMPs and it had very positive effect on some applications which rely on temporary files heavily.

• 3 weeks later...

The other question is whether the OP actually needs 8 GB for the system or maybe a larger RAMdisk would be better. I had to sell one of my memory sticks and have now only 4 GB of RAM but before I had 8 GB and was using 4 GB for the system and 4 GB for a RAMdisk. I found it more efficient as the RAMdisk was used for TEMPs and it had very positive effect on some applications which rely on temporary files heavily.

I tried the Gavotte RAMDisk and PAE with 32-bit XP initially too. However, I found that XP gave a performance hit. PAE/RAMDisk worked fine when I only used the remaining 512 mb of RAM (of my 4 gb). But once I enabled PAE/RAMDisk with 7 gb of RAM, there was a definite slow down.

64-bit XP Pro is a MUCH more elegant solution.