msvcrt.dll without _resetstkoflw (W2K)

angmor

Hello,

I have a VM running W2K SP4 with most patches installed, and Office 2003 (patched). Somewhere along the line some other software installation replaced "msvcrt.dll" with a version that does not have the entry point "_resetstkoflw".

Could you please tell me in what KB, Rollup, or SP was the last official install of "msvcrt.dll" with "_resetstkoflw" included ?

Thanks.

I have a VM running W2K SP4 with most patches installed

Could you tell us which updates exactly have you installed?

I think I had this problem some time ago and the reason was that the new NT6.x MSXML libraries were not present in the system. I think that older test versions (weekly / daily) of UURollup-v11 were affected. Have you installed any of them?

Without having a tool to dump the updates installed, I would have to say all updates except stuff like NetWare drivers updates, any Genuine Advantage updates, and Media player new releases. It is running IE6 SP1 (can't go higher that that for what I do).

When I looked for the actual error on the Internet (see attached screen snap msvcrt-dll..png), it basically said that some program replaced msvcrt.dll with one that was missing the entry point "_resetstkoflw", and to find a good copy of msvcrt.dll with "_resetstkoflw" included, and update Windows with that.

post-371428-0-90552700-1357368237_thumb.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the latest official version of MSVCRT.DLL for Win2k should be the one included in Update Rollup 2. It's

MSVCRT.DLL 6.1.9848.0

Feel free to download Update Rollup 2 and either install the whole package or just copy the file to your system.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I finally had some time to install Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-x86-ENU.exe. I then got to the MSVCRT.DLL that was installed, and copied it to an XP host. Versioning I found is 6.1.9848.0 (and also called 6.10.9848.0).

I used "depends" from XP to look at it, and I do not find "_resetstkoflw" in the extracted MSVCRT.DLL. As a matter of fact, I did not find anything starting with "_reset...." or "reset...." entry points.

Any ideas ?

According to this, the Office 2003 Compatibility pack is "thought" to be the culprit (not resolved) -

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/thread/7a2ede91-2864-4e07-8a14-fc4a44a97c9e/

Here it indicates Outlook 2003 and a "fix" (a/l for OL2K3) -

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f57/solved-the-procedure-entry-point-635260.html

This one (nonsensically) indicates KB926436 (XPSP2 though) did "something" -

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Windows/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/2007-02/msg00984.html

This one also indicates a "3d party software" may have replaced it (Vista) -

http://www.winvistatips.com/procedure-entry-point-_resetstkoflw-could-not-located-dynamic-link-library-msvcrt-dll-vista-t87164.html

Above found by Google

"msvcrt.dll" "office 2003" "_resetstkoflw"

So, you installed the latest Office 2003 Service Packs?

Edited by submix8c

Hello,

I finally had some time to install Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-x86-ENU.exe. I then got to the MSVCRT.DLL that was installed, and copied it to an XP host. Versioning I found is 6.1.9848.0 (and also called 6.10.9848.0).

I used "depends" from XP to look at it, and I do not find "_resetstkoflw" in the extracted MSVCRT.DLL. As a matter of fact, I did not find anything starting with "_reset...." or "reset...." entry points.

Any ideas ?

Oh, its there :yes: I'm using a modified version on Win98 from Windows XP SP3 and so far its working and it satisfies that function you need :w00t: I'm in the middle of testing for breakage. I'm sure if it works on Win98, then Win2000 shouldn't have any problems. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD